a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Howzit China's, Good to be here

Reaction score
Home Country
Zimbabwe
Howdy all, I just woke to read an email from one of the Mod's telling me to move my arse and get posting lol, love it and rightly so. Cheers Chef for the blunt reminder, would not have it any other way. I have to say, not my fault, I was stuck in the quack factory with so much muti in me I was as confused as a chameleon inside a Smartie box.

That said, here we are. I requested to join the group as over the years you lose contact with former brethren and comrades, many of whom you served with or in partnership with during joint operations or contracts in and out of the mili. Many of my buds are former Legion and as such I thought this was a good place to join and have a yarn or two. I have worked jointly with the Legion in West Africa, Niger, Chad and Burkina Faso as recently as 2019 and also recruited and worked with many ex Legionnaires in Djibouti and in the maritime security sector in the Gulf of Aden and Indian Ocean.

Covid has me stranded at home for now but my normal job is regional operations director for Africa for a PMC based in Nigeria and Malta. We operate with NGO's, private clients and two Governments on the continent, it used to be more but Covid being what it is and EU/WHO/NGO funded projects all on hold it is what it is. So thats work out the way.

Me, I am Rhodesian, in my late forties and ex Army. IDF and one other Northern European defence force. I started on the circuit in 2009 and never looked back. Counter piracy in the GOA and GOG, land ops in Northern Nigeria, Niger and support contracting in BF and Chad, PSD in Northern Mozambique and management of a static and mobile guard force on multiple client bauxite and gold mines across the continent where I worked with a lot of ex Legion lads, small teams of expat mainly but large indigenous guard force, 100+ sometimes. Bits and bobs in other African states on short contracts, the norm. Married, no kids and a cat. I love travelling overland and living in the gangeni. I am happiest when chugging a few shumba's with the oakes and telling some lies around the fire.

The boys call me "Brian", from Monty Pythons, the life of Brian because I love my Teva's and he happened to wear sandals on the film lol. Nothing else. My real names not Brian but it has stuck so hey ho.

Ok, thats it. Good to be here and look forward to a yarn. Hope that covered it Chef.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Howdy all, I just woke to read an email from one of the Mod's telling me to move my arse and get posting lol, love it and rightly so. Cheers Chef for the blunt reminder, would not have it any other way. I have to say, not my fault, I was stuck in the quack factory with so much muti in me I was as confused as a chameleon inside a Smartie box.

That said, here we are. I requested to join the group as over the years you lose contact with former brethren and comrades, many of whom you served with or in partnership with during joint operations or contracts in and out of the mili. Many of my buds are former Legion and as such I thought this was a good place to join and have a yarn or two. I have worked jointly with the Legion in West Africa, Niger, Chad and Burkina Faso as recently as 2019 and also recruited and worked with many ex Legionnaires in Djibouti and in the maritime security sector in the Gulf of Aden and Indian Ocean.

Covid has me stranded at home for now but my normal job is regional operations director for Africa for a PMC based in Nigeria and Malta. We operate with NGO's, private clients and two Governments on the continent, it used to be more but Covid being what it is and EU/WHO/NGO funded projects all on hold it is what it is. So thats work out the way.

Me, I am Rhodesian, in my late forties and ex Army. IDF and one other Northern European defence force. I started on the circuit in 2009 and never looked back. Counter piracy in the GOA and GOG, land ops in Northern Nigeria, Niger and support contracting in BF and Chad, PSD in Northern Mozambique and management of a static and mobile guard force on multiple client bauxite and gold mines across the continent where I worked with a lot of ex Legion lads, small teams of expat mainly but large indigenous guard force, 100+ sometimes. Bits and bobs in other African states on short contracts, the norm. Married, no kids and a cat. I love travelling overland and living in the gangeni. I am happiest when chugging a few shumba's with the oakes and telling some lies around the fire.

The boys call me "Brian", from Monty Pythons, the life of Brian because I love my Teva's and he happened to wear sandals on the film lol. Nothing else. My real names not Brian but it has stuck so hey ho.

Ok, thats it. Good to be here and look forward to a yarn. Hope that covered it Chef.
Its a hell of a CV. welcome. IDF = Israeli Defence Force or another ?

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
Welcome to the forum Rhodie,
I believe you will enjoy the company. Your eventual opinions and insights in Africa related threads would be well worth hearing/reading.
Cheers!

Reaction score
Home Country
Zimbabwe
Hi Brian and welcome to the forum.
BTW, I'm available if you've got anything going in French speaking Africa, (just thought that I'd mention it)
Morning Chef. Well noted. We are staffed in Niamey at present, flights are a nightmare and the lads are extended for now. I might have something coming up in Benin in two months, site coordinator post baby sitting a local FOB patrol base between Togo and Benin for maritime work. Ill keep you posted if Covid restrictions lift and we get the green light. We can move forward then. Cheers B.

Reaction score
Home Country
Zimbabwe
Its a hell of a CV. welcome. IDF = Israeli Defence Force or another ?
Hi Trident, Israeli Defence Force mucker, It was two parts truth be told. National service for citizenship as returned Jew status and the second contract was part patriotism part romance as I had a beauty of a young Norwegian Jewish girl as a flame at the time. Like most things, this flame blew out lol and I moved on. I love Israel but the politics and lack of decent outback and bush to travel and explore depressed me. Only so many times you can visit Eilat and the Dead Sea hey, no sodding rain forests, no wildlife really to speak of, reminds me of Malta in a way. The parts you really want to visit are controlled and cut off by the border force or cops lol. Hey ho.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Rhodie,

Welcome to the forum. My great Chum Erasmus was killed as a Patrol Officer SB and is on the BSAP memorial.
In a different incarnation he said to me; Charlie Mak der man dort or words to that effect and I obliged.
As an old duffer I liked your intro. I also worked in security in the ME and FE.

Served RM Cdo trained by former WW2 Cdos.
Colonial Police.
Queen's HSF .
And yes I am that old !;)

Reaction score
Home Country
United States

Welcome Brian, I received that same message about getting off my keister.

Reaction score
Home Country
Zimbabwe
That's a hell of a CV sir, I'll make sure I'll measure my wannabe's mouth next time I reply to one of your threads. Welcome to the forum!
Christ, please don't Fabrizio, stifling conversation to appease anyone is at the heart of all thats wrong with the World right now. We need more of your questions, more of your views my brother, if we are ever going to learn a bloody thing or two in this life. lol. All I see on the box these days is left or right and no middle ground. I miss the likes of Christopher Hitchens and William F Buckley going at it with hardened opposition on both sides of politics and debate, or Michael Parkinson actually having the balls to ask his guests real questions. We are way to PC and boring these days. I welcome your comments and respect your views. Never back down, always stand your ground if that is what you believe. Just leave space for new ideas and beliefs along the way. Cheers again mucker.

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
Christ, please don't Fabrizio, stifling conversation to appease anyone is at the heart of all thats wrong with the World right now. We need more of your questions, more of your views my brother, if we are ever going to learn a bloody thing or two in this life. lol. All I see on the box these days is left or right and no middle ground. I miss the likes of Christopher Hitchens and William F Buckley going at it with hardened opposition on both sides of politics and debate, or Michael Parkinson actually having the balls to ask his guests real questions. We are way to PC and boring these days. I welcome your comments and respect your views. Never back down, always stand your ground if that is what you believe. Just leave space for new ideas and beliefs along the way. Cheers again mucker.

Don't worry I won't be censoring my views or opinions, I will just make sure that I won't assume I am talking to a peer wannabe like me but with somebody with sh$t tons of experience. Much respect!

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom

MURWI WEGA= Lone Soldier in Shona ?

Reaction score
Home Country
Zimbabwe
"Sole warrior", "lone wolf", "lone soldier" yes it means all this but actually it's true meaning in Shona is "private warrior" aka mercenary. The various Matabele braves, who after their defeat and end of their reign of terror and enslaving of the Shona by the pioneering Rhodesians, went on to serve various African tribal masters as "private warriors". You have to remember the Shona, at that time was not a Warrior race, not since the great times of old Zimbabwe. Even then, we are not sure of the warrior class of Shona. Where as the Matabele of Zulu heritage was most definitely of warrior stock. Hope that answers your question china.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
My chum killed in ambush in 1977 was Francois Jacobus Erasmus. We served together during a period of lethal confrontation.

Currently I have young friend from Kwazulu Natal. 3 months ago he was experiencing major insurrections and was on civilian patrol guarding his area in support of the army. I ascertained this morning that there had been 300 deaths over all. Source BBC.

When I served I found the Rhodesians to be modest, likeable, hard and extremely tough. The South Africans were tough as were the very few Australians.

Reaction score
Home Country
Zimbabwe
Rhodie,

Welcome to the forum. My great Chum Erasmus was killed as a Patrol Officer SB and is on the BSAP memorial.
In a different incarnation he said to me; Charlie Mak der man dort or words to that effect and I obliged.
As an old duffer I liked your intro. I also worked in security in the ME and FE.

Served RM Cdo trained by former WW2 Cdos.
Colonial Police.
Queen's HSF .
And yes I am that old !;)
Morning China, wow, what a pisser of a CV, would love to sit down with you and the other oaks and splash a few shombas, tell a few lies and light the fire up. Halcyon days Chas. Did you ever work with Mike Hoare or the boys in 5 Commando?. Knocking around Durban 60 to 65. Some of the stories I heard from those oaks, amazing. Sorry about your SB friend, sh%t house result. The BSAP and our SB boys were magic, no doubt about it. Shame the CIO had a rat at the top, stabbing us in the back the entire time. Any how, as our Clem would say, "What a time it was". lol. Cheers bra.

Reaction score
Home Country
Zimbabwe
My chum killed in ambush in 1977 was Francois Jacobus Erasmus. We served together during a period of lethal confrontation.

Currently I have young friend from Kwazulu Natal. 3 months ago he was experiencing major insurrections and was on civilian patrol guarding his area in support of the army. I ascertained this morning that there had been 300 deaths over all. Source BBC.

When I served I found the Rhodesians to be modest, likeable, hard and extremely tough. The South Africans were tough as were the very few Australians.
Hi Again Chas, yes I know about Phoenix and the murders that took place. All I can say is this. If you think the coloured community, Indians especially, are going to sit back and have a another round of Idi Amin style persecutions whilst they are legally armed then think again. They have learnt from the LA riots in Korea town and from Uganda, when the hordes of armed and angry black youth come to town to burn and destroy your shops and take away your living then you are going to get into a punch up alright.

Tempers flared and things went a little loco but the cops let this happen. Under paid, over worked and tired of dealing with this nonsense they let the boys take care of themselves. In my view, their argument for attacking the coloureds in the first place was pure nonsense, they just want all the benefits and money of a good life without working for it, this argument of unfair this and that went out in 94.

Blacks have been ruling South Africa for 27 years, its time they took responsibility for their own tribes and actions and work themselves out of poverty. Just like the Indians and the European settlers did, its not like the law is not on their side after all.

BTW, those of you on the Forum that are not familiar with South Africa, the term "Coloureds" is not a racist term. Its used by the multiracial ethnic group thats native to Southern Africa, to self identify, like black for others or Caucasian or European as whites are called.

Cheers Chas, be safe china. ATB.