a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to improve chances of being accepted?

Redfan45x

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hello, so I've always had the Legion on my mind since I was just a little kid. I don't even remember what it was that got me into it, or where I even heard of it, it was that long ago.
All I remember is being 12 years old and wishing I was 18 already so I could get there and try. Well I'm 18 now, and despite what people said to me about it just being a childhood dream and by the time I'm 18 I would forget it and want to be a lawyer or something. Well it hasn't left my mind and I've never had preconceived notions about it, that I'd join and be like rambo or some amazing elite warrior. Knowing a lot of people here who are members of the US Military helped too, because a lot of people look at that like you'd be rambo too.
I don't plan on joining this year, I'd really like to get more physically fit (not im not a fat ass) and maybe learn some french it that helps my chances any?
So what can I do to improve these chances?

Reaction score
Home Country
1-lurk moar
2-lurk moar
3-lurk moar
4-???
5-Profit!
But seriously just use the search function, this question has already been discusted.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Yes, learn as much French you can. It is not so much for improving your chance to be accepted, but it will help you a lot if you do get accepted.

mammikoura

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
So you have wanted to do this for 6 years already and now that you finally are old enough you figure it's the time to start preparing.
First thing I'd do is go to the local Walmart and see if they have any brains to sell. It's not necessary to have one in order to join but it does help your chances.

Redfan45x

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
So you have wanted to do this for 6 years already and now that you finally are old enough you figure it's the time to start preparing.
First thing I'd do is go to the local Walmart and see if they have any brains to sell. It's not necessary to have one in order to join but it does help your chances.
I know there was probably no excuse not to prepare myself much earlier then now. But I'm not like 40, it isn't too late at all.

mammikoura

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
No, it's not too late. You've got time on your side, it's the lack of motivation that I find to be the problem.

the Hermit

Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
mammikoura handled this like a boss, damn!

Redfan, the first question you should ask yourself before doing anything as extreme and life changing as joining the FFL is: How bad do you want it? If every cell in your body yearns for it, then go; If you lack motivation and have doubts about it, then don't. There's so much to achieve and explore in life. Don't get tunnel vision and — erroneously — believe that joining the millitary is the only path into manhood (or self-respect, if you prefer).

Last edited:

flymantobe

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Show up at the gates.
Agreed. The latest trend I see is that people are trying to work out equations on the best possible way of getting accepted. As Tonyus says, just show up at the "gates" : if you make it well done, if like me you don't, carry on with life... Really not much else to it.
50/50

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Sorry for my continuous repetition. It is the ‘want factor’. If you are decided, determined and positive then go for it.
All the rest is crap and of no consequence. And I have the T shirt to prove it ! 99% need not apply.

Redfan45x

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Sorry I haven't replied, there has been flooding and crap here and buildings being carried away in flashfloods hahah internet was down.
But I would just show up if I could, the reason I have to wait is unlike most americans I don't have the money to spend 2000 dollars on a airplane ticket this moment or probably for a year or two. Otherwise I would just show up this summer and try my best

dog fight

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
the reason I have to wait is unlike most americans I don't have the money to spend 2000 dollars on a airplane ticket this moment or probably for a year or two. Otherwise I would just show up this summer and try my best

i don't think most americans have $2k to shell out on anything right now... have you been paying attention to our economy?!? ;)

Sarajevo1992

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Netherlands
Just checked: LA to Amsterdam (Holland) costs 800 dollar, train ticket Amsterdam-Paris cost 50 dollar, food and shelter are provided by the Legion when you show up at the gates of Fort de Nogent. No need to save that much fellows.

dog fight

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Just checked: LA to Amsterdam (Holland) costs 800 dollar, train ticket Amsterdam-Paris cost 50 dollar, food and shelter are provided by the Legion when you show up at the gates of Fort de Nogent. No need to save that much fellows.
Yea, I'm more concerned with paying off debt than I'm with the flight ticket...

Redfan45x

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I live in Duluth Minnesota, not LA. But I'll look into flights from Minneapolis to Europe.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Gentlemen,
Try to sort out your money problems. Then simply go for it. Become 'Hard Chargers'. Good luck.