a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Holiday question

Asia_Y

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Hello to everyone again :) I have 100 questions again (at least). My brother is already in Calvi, after two days will make his first jump. He told me that it is possible to have a few days off after instruction, but he is not sure. I want to go there to see him, but I do not know whether is there a possibility to have days off or not. What you think,is there such a practise for the recruits?

Hitsuji

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Slovenia
When he finishes his instruction in regiment he will have free weekends unless he is on the course and after 18 00 he should be free every day. Other than that he should get 3 weeks off after he comes back from a mission.

Asia_Y

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Thank you:) Soon or a later will see him:)) Hope so:)In Monday my brother will be promoted to legionnaire first class :)

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Asia, I think the support that you give your brother is great, a lot depends on his chef de section (platoon commander) for time off. If your brother explains that his sister is in town he may be spared chores and even guard duty for a couple of days. However tradition has it, if you have just finished the promo you get all the bad jobs. In the REP you finish basic training and then do the promo, jump training, anytime between ten days and three weeks. No days off into town between because you have not got your wings or fourragère. That is the way of the REP. As for your brother being promoted 1st classe, that seems a little early, maybe times have changed. There is a slight difference betwen ‘promoted’ and receiving a distinction. 1st class is not a rank, so it's not really a promotion.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Hello to everyone again :) I have 100 questions again (at least). My brother is already in Calvi, after two days will make his first jump. He told me that it is possible to have a few days off after instruction, but he is not sure. I want to go there to see him, but I do not know whether is there a possibility to have days off or not. What you think,is there such a practise for the recruits?
Hello Asia,

Now that your brother is in Calvi he must get his brevet parachutiste (para wings) : that takes a certain time because they don't start the course before they have enough young legionnaires for it. In the meantime, your brother is enjoying the sun and... the corvées ! Count about a month for the para brevet to be completed. If your brother finishes first (major de promo) he will become 1st Cl immediately, without having to wait for the normal time to get that distinction. That means that your brother will be 1st class ‘au mérite’ and that is a good way to start a career in 2 REP. It does not mean that he will have less corvées or more free time !

Theoretically, during the brevet para period, he will not have any freedom, no possibility to go to town (which is expensive) or to a bar outside the camp : he must remain in camp until he is a full para and has his para badge. Theoretically, when he is not on duty, after receiving his badge, he can go out of the camp in the evening.

But discipline in 2 REP is very strict (at least it was in my time) : your brother as ‘young legionnaire’ will nearly never be off duty in the first months. Nevertheless that could occur. He will then be allowed to meet you, in uniform, in Calvi. He can also leave the island during his Permission de Longue Durée (and only then) and that will be in civvies. He will know when his company is on permission long enough in advance so he can warn you. Beware that if he chooses to spend his permission in Corsica, he must remain in uniform.

From now on, in any case, he can use his phone if he has one or ask the permission to by one (detailed information must be provided if it is an expensive phone). He can also use the computers of the computer room to contact you by mail, Facebook, etc

But as young legionnaire he is very busy.

Another question ?

Greetings,

loustic

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Bloody hell computers. email mobile phones. What happened to a pen and a airmail letter thats all I had . Best of luck to him and I hope hes got rid of the black socks .

Asia_Y

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Thank you everyone for the answers :). Today was my brother's promo and he is already first class :). So, yes you are right, I will wait until the 00 is finished and after that will go to Calvi :).

View attachment 4686

Old Adj

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Bloody Hell! 1st class before the end of the promo?! They might as well do away with 2nd class then. Sign everyone up as 1st class already. I can remember being so proud of being made 1st class because only the best got it then, certainly not everyone and I had 14 months service!

Hitsuji

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Slovenia
Bloody Hell! 1st class before the end of the promo?! They might as well do away with 2nd class then. Sign everyone up as 1st class already. I can remember being so proud of being made 1st class because only the best got it then, certainly not everyone and I had 14 months service!
Did/does the 1. class have authority to give orders to 2. class ?

Sarajevo1992

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Netherlands
Well he is higher in rank but only from Caporal-chef and up you can kick someone's ass and that really counts :cool: :p. Just for info in Holland 2nd and 1st class soldiers are not considered a rank but a rank starts at caporal.

Sarajevo1992

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Netherlands
Bloody hell computers. email mobile phones. What happened to a pen and a airmail letter thats all I had . Best of luck to him and I hope hes got rid of the black socks .

Advantage of being part if section Trans i was able to sent faxes and phone (landlines if possible and Satcom)home every nightshift when the CO was in his bed sleeping cause no control at all. UN picked up the bill. Great way to make friends with soldiers who don have that privelege

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
30 years ago, technically, it was possible. I as a 1st Class, held for a few months the role of acting Corporal, because my Platoon commander assigned me to the function, but this didn't make my ego swell to the point I took any advantages or bossed around my mates.

O

Ossie O

Unregistered
Comms with the outside world at Calvi was the half dozen pay phones near the guardhouse.One had to purchase a phone card from the foyer after the case of Kro.Times have changed I see.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Asia's brother has not been promoted : he just received a distinction (not necessary to become Cpl) and has no authority over the other legionnaires. This distinction is automatic after a certain time (depending on the regiment) but in the case of 2e REP it is given ‘au mérite’ to the first guy of the para promo (major de promotion). This was my case and seems to be Asia's brother's case : congratulations to him !

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
Thank you everyone for the answers :). Today was my brother's promo and he is already first class :). So, yes you are right, I will wait until the 00 is finished and after that will go to Calvi :).

View attachment 4686
Congrats to your brother and to you for suporting him!

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
Well, 'there's 2 items at the bottom in the duffelbag', as we used to say later on, to fresh out of the instruction legionnaires, your 1st class stripe and the chocolate medal in bronze. :D

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
And the creases? how do they look, technique adopted or not?