Hobbies in the Legion

Weird title and all, but I saw some legionnaires working on wood for Xmas if I remember correctly, in some video. Obviously, they were making some toy soldiers and stuff like that, basically decorations. Can I get stories about this kind of stuff from some who served, like legionares enjoying themselves in their free time, when they arent shooting enemies or doing pushups on mud or ice :D?
What you did and what your buddies did, because you obviously can't do much in military base and gotta enjoy little things.

Doing taule was my favorite hobby, especially around Christmas time... Beats doing garde duty or groupe d'intervention and nowt better way in enhancing camaraderie. In fact I even considered making it my profession... Full-time taulard has its avantages, like bed and fed... and it is fuquing tax free.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
In the MILAN, CEA, 2REP they had a mock-up battle ground with model tanks. All kinds of tanks from NATO to Soviet era tanks. The idea being that whilst looking through the 'scope' of the poste de tir, to identify possible friend or possible enemy ( I say possible, because everything can bought nowadays). You had to identify which tank it was, how many crew members and - if the Sgt wanted to bust 'straws' armor thinkness.

Someone had to build these models from kits, paint them and then camouflage them in the cam used from photos. To begin with it was anyone who had had an accident and was resting in their rooms, -repos en chambre. However things quickly took off and guys made it their hobby. To the point that on weekends if they were not working they would buy models from down town and sell them, once completed and painted, to other sections and other companies. It was in the interest of each and every section to "know their enemy", whether looking through a MILAN poste de tir or through a pair of binoculars.

No point in sending a sitrep saying; "a tank, coming towards us, he looks in a bad mood".

response : "copy that, how bad a mood, over".

I was Milan in 2 REI, 1st cie and learnt my trade well. Once, when Cpt Prevost, ex rep and chef de section CRAPS (now GCP) had taken over our cie from cpt BTX, during a séjour Larzac approached our group, my batterie, didn't see the sleek creep because I was too busy doing my planche... a wooden planche with a white plastic coating, and limits short long left and right... plus the codes
As chef de pièce / batterie it was my role to fill in what was in front of my Milan (obstacles, etc.). It wasn't compulsory but as they say, les bonnes habitudes restent toujours (merci sgt Funk). Prevost had apparently never seen such. He grabed the planche out of my hands and examened it... confused, I enlightened him, this is this and that is that, capice mon cpt? He went on to be chef de Corps au 2e Reg étranger de pigeons.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
The planche was standard in both Milans, 1 and 2 and the other combat companies group MILAN. One step further was to take an instant Polaroid photograph of the same secteur de tir and add the same angles and obstacles, distances etc. for night excercises.

Most viewed threads of the week