a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hip popping, medical.

Reaction score
Home Country
Colombia
No man ! It's not 4 its 7 now. They raised up limit for min pull-ups "on doors" .But my advice is not to go if can't do 10.

Difference between Lyon and Aubagne ... not many. You will only speed up process lil bit if you go direct to Aubagne and spend lil bit more money. If you get rejected in Aubagne after joining in Lyon (or some other city with recruiting center) they will give you ticket back whatever city you joined in.

Thanks for your answer.
Do you know anything about the lipoma? might it be an issue?

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Thanks for your answer.
Do you know anything about the lipoma? might it be an issue?
Don't know man. I guess no, if they are not some monstrosity disabling you to wear boots or trousers.

canuckroyal

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
A couple of possibilities:

Snapping Hip Syndrome caused by tight Psoas which attach your hips to your lumbar spine. Very common today with society being so sedentary as sitting puts the hip flexors in a state of continuous flexion. This can be treated with physio and flexibility/mobility training.

FAI/torn labrum: can be managed in some cases with exercise but it will not get better and will eventually lead to surgery. I'm waiting for surgery right now for this, very common injury amongst athletic people.

I was very athletic throughout my life and have been in the army for 13 years. As you can imagine wear and tear catches up with you.

Romegas

Reaction score
Home Country
United States

As you can imagine wear and tear catches up with you.

So true. Part of getting stronger almost invariably involves the loosening and weakening of joints, whether you're running, squatting, whatever. At 30, I'm stronger than I've ever been, but the years of rugby, lacrosse, triathlons, and other nonsense have taken their toll. The best way I've found to counter loose joints is to (1) strengthen the muscles around the joints and (2) develop an understanding that the lion's share of the work should be done by your muscles, not your ligaments, when you're doing anything physical.

Here's a quick, basic progression to activate and strengthen stabilizer muscles that will mitigate the likelihood of future injury & further loosening of hips & knees.

Nothing too fancy - all you need is a foam roller or a hard rubber ball and an exercise band. I gather some of you are into that super bare bones, old school fitness stuff where you go off to a forest, kill a mountain lion with your bare hands, nail its carcass to a tree and use its body as a pull-up bar, so hopefully you'll forgive me for suggesting the use of such haute couture equipment.

Pre-progression
10 min myofascial release: loosen up muscle tissue that may be restricting your hip movement. Apply a foam roller or lacrosse ball, esp to your glutes & the area right under the lliac crest (top of the hip bones). A lot of weak psoas & hip flexor issues have to do with tight glutes. Tons of videos/articles on proper foam rolling.

Progression - 2 sets

1) lateral banded walks, 20 meter each direction: These primarily activate your glute medius, which by default is unused by most people thanks to our cowardly-ass sedentary lifestyles, as canuckroyal mentioned. Super good for hip strength.

2) 10 banded good mornings: Gets those hamstrings activated.

3) Walking lunges, 10/side: pretty self-explanatory.

4) 10 burpees - to apply the glute & hamstring activation to a compound movement. Smooth & with good form. Think about activating the glutes and hamstrings on the way down and up. Also, she'd get it (watch the video).

Hope that helps!

Romegas

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hope that helps!

Forgot probably the most important stability exercise, the single-leg RDL. Slot that in between (3) walking lunges and (4) burpees. So good for stability. Do these every day, with proper form, and you do a lot to prevent/mitigate future knee & hip issues.

Barring catastrophic injury or disease, it's the boring shit like this that allows people to be physically active well past into their later years.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Heard via the grape vine they are upping the pull-ups to 20 rolling the clock back as waiting for food we used to just play on the bars, I would not consider anything less out of a young man!

Romegas

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
@Romegas
Much appreciated, this is big help for me. (y)
Awesome! My hip started feeling a bit weak a few years ago when I was doing a lot of long running. No issues now. All about doing that boring shit every day!

But as others said, when you get a chance, I would definitely have a doctor take a look at it to rule out anything other than normal wear and tear.

canuckroyal

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Romegas,

So true, American Football star Tom Brady just published a book on fitness. If you don't know him, he is 42 years old and still playing pro football at an elite level.

He explains that they key to staying healthy and injury free is through what he call "pliability" i.e. keeping your muscles loose.

Basically as you get older you need to focus more on flexibility, range of motion and mobility and less on strength/power training.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Interesting subject. Look s like our bodies are not made to do sports on high level and high intensity most of adult life.

As maybe mentioned joint cartilage got expiry date. More burden you putting on them - more it will wear and tear. You can do some precautions and run things in certain way in order to reduce damage but it's really hard to avoid that. Long time high level athletes without permanent damage on joints are extremely rare.

Simple running do noticeable damage if it's done through years. Some new studies shows that big part in that have our high heel sport shoes. They forcing our bodies to run by moving legs in unnatural positions and stressing joints much more in comparison with barefoot running . So new thing is 0% running shoes or socks for running.

I would try second option. No need to spend 100€ for fancy special running socks. I would take some thick cotton (or wool) socks and glue peas of rubber or shoe-insert to them. Would see how that works.

Also many people have trouble with lower back pain mainly caused by too spending too much time in sitting position.
I found that this set of exercise 2 times a week significantly helps.

canuckroyal

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Interesting subject. Look s like our bodies are not made to do sports on high level and high intensity most of adult life.

As maybe mentioned joint cartilage got expiry date. More burden you putting on them - more it will wear and tear. You can do some precautions and run things in certain way in order to reduce damage but it's really hard to avoid that. Long time high level athletes without permanent damage on joints are extremely rare.

Simple running do noticeable damage if it's done through years. Some new studies shows that big part in that have our high heel sport shoes. They forcing our bodies to run by moving legs in unnatural positions and stressing joints much more in comparison with barefoot running . So new thing is 0% running shoes or socks for running.

I would try second option. No need to spend 100€ for fancy special running socks. I would take some thick cotton (or wool) socks and glue peas of rubber or shoe-insert to them. Would see how that works.

Also many people have trouble with lower back pain mainly caused by too spending too much time in sitting position.

There is a rapid deterioration in physical ability after the age of 35. Between the age of 25-35 is usually when people peak in physical and athletic ability.

I'm in my early 30s and can put on way more muscle than I could in my early 20s but I also am way more susceptible to injury.

I wear vibram five fingers now for all training. Can easily run 10km barefoot no problem now. I recommend getting a pair. I also lift weights barefoot. I attribute this switch I made a few years ago to solviny my foot and hip issues.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States

Snapping Hip Syndrome caused by tight Psoas which attach your hips to your lumbar spine. Very common today with society being so sedentary as sitting puts the hip flexors in a state of continuous flexion. This can be treated with physio and flexibility/mobility training.

FAI/torn labrum: can be managed in some cases with exercise but it will not get better and will eventually lead to surgery. I'm waiting for surgery right now for this, very common injury amongst athletic people.

I was very athletic throughout my life and have been in the army for 13 years. As you can imagine wear and tear catches up with you.

Canuck Royal, I just had FAI/Labrum Debridement Surgery in January, it is a Bitch to say the least. Had to have 48% of the FAI ground down and my labrum was torn up extensively. All the years, as I say, "running, humping, and stupid things like putting over 800lbs on the squat slide machine doing leg presses in the gym working out," all contributed to a 20-year career in the USMC.

I started having problems back in the mid-90s, and eventually it caught up at my age. To young for a hip replacement but it is going to happen.

I'd suggest at this age, it can be the Psoas, and the young man do hip physical therapy and strength training.

Finally, Canuck Royal, if you have the surgery arthroscopically the Dr. will punch through the Psoas and another muscle for entry into your hip joint, this can and will take a long time to heal. Additionally, for hip surgery once they put you under anesthesia you will have your hip physically separated so they can have room to work in your joint.

Post surgery, for me, I had a great deal of swelling and it is the main cause for pain post op. Lots of ice and pain killers for the first couple of months. Anyway, Bon Chance.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States

Good post dusaboss. You are right do proper training and stay flexible; however, over a period of time the things one has to do in the military, things like the Kepi Blanc March, running, jumping with loads from trucks, and simple repetition training and exercise will catch up.

I know very few Marines who have completed 20-years and they do not have orthopedic injuries.

canuckroyal

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Canuck Royal, I just had FAI/Labrum Debridement Surgery in January, it is a Bitch to say the least. Had to have 48% of the FAI ground down and my labrum was torn up extensively. All the years, as I say, "running, humping, and stupid things like putting over 800lbs on the squat slide machine doing leg presses in the gym working out," all contributed to a 20-year career in the USMC.

I started having problems back in the mid-90s, and eventually it caught up at my age. To young for a hip replacement but it is going to happen.

I'd suggest at this age, it can be the Psoas, and the young man do hip physical therapy and strength training.

Finally, Canuck Royal, if you have the surgery arthroscopically the Dr. will punch through the Psoas and another muscle for entry into your hip joint, this can and will take a long time to heal. Additionally, for hip surgery once they put you under anesthesia you will have your hip physically separated so they can have room to work in your joint.

Post surgery, for me, I had a great deal of swelling and it is the main cause for pain post op. Lots of ice and pain killers for the first couple of months. Anyway, Bon Chance.

Yes, I've been trying to avoid surgery. Most of my problems started after I collapsed the arch on my left foot from.... ruck marching 😄

The foot healed but it threw my gait off as my left foot went totally flat and caused some compensations in my pelvis. Oh well, shit happens 😄

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Yes, I've been trying to avoid surgery. Most of my problems started after I collapsed the arch on my left foot from.... ruck marching 😄

The foot healed but it threw my gait off as my left foot went totally flat and caused some compensations in my pelvis. Oh well, shit happens 😄

One of the Marines I served with while on my recruiting tour is now a Sergeants Major (FFL Major) with over 20-years+ he will retire at 30-years, he had the surgery about a year earlier than I did.

Major point here, as you stated and Romeagas, and Dusaboss the key to stying healthy is to STAY FLEXIBLE!

Work out with your own body weight, do not become a body builder they have zero flexibility, stay flexible and strength train the smart way, not the old fashioned Bench Press, Squats, and heavy Shoulder work. Why, because here is what it will get you, I am the living example here:

3 Corticosteroid injections into C4/C5 (Neck) we chocked each other a lot for hand to hand

2 Corticosteroid injections in to the Facets at the Lower Lumbar Spine heavy loads (many many Kepi Blanc type marches)

3 Corticosteroid injection into the right shoulder, running 3+ miles in a race with a group of 6 carrying logs on your shoulders

2 Corticosteroid injections into the left hip, one before surgery and one after. The one after was to first relieve pressure from joint effusion post surgery, (I am allergic to NSAIDS). Believe me, post surgery, the last thing in the world one wants is another hip injection

FAI/Labrum Debridement Surgery, not a fun experience. The wear and tear and the Osteoarthritis over the years caught up.

Bottom line, STAY FLEXIBLE and train smarter not harder.