Hi, one from Serbia

Greetings good people.
First of all, salute to all current and ex legionaries. You have my utmost respect.
Best of luck to those who wish to become one.

First things first, I am an ex-soldier, from Serbia, who served in a infantry company, support platoon, on a mortar 82mm, loader.
Did a tour to Lebanon in 2013, as part of UNIFIL, 6.5 months (1 month in Spain included), under Spanish command. Deployed as rifleman-medic. All members of the platoon received a medal for righteous and committed service.
Did my 4 years with honor (2 contracts), and was discharged with a clean record.
I left the army because of too many bad things that go on within, and the things that don't happen, but i would not like to go into details on this one. Will answer if anyone asks on PM.
Have clean criminal record.
I am 28 years old, will be 29 by the time i step on French soil.
I know that weight of all my experiences combined, for The Legion equals to tying a shoelace, which is just another positive thing, about Legion, in my opinion.

Well, the plan is to go next spring.
-I'm learning French, on-line as there are no language schools around...
-Learning the chants.
-Learning Code d'honneur du légionnaire, and i hope i will be able to say my oath out loud.
-Preparing things for Visa process (which is in my country kinda pain in the butt, as most things around here are anyway ;) ) Will ask for a tourist Visa, with no mention of FFL.
-Fixing my teeth, working on general education tests, math tests, just to keep that fresh in my mind.
-I will be using Stoeng's 3 month preparation program. It is just great. In my opinion, it fine-tunes your body for the stress that is surely to come, assuming one already "tuned" himself to some point, meaning he is fit.

I have read many posts, experiences, and general info about the process itself, its all written nicely on this forum, and the Web. Of course, if you discard all the trash from all the Walt's and bastards alike, which are many... Just don't get it, how can someone pretend to be a legionnaire, disrespecting people that actually do it. It is f... wrong, should be punishable.
Where is Honor in that?

Reasons for joining are many. Least of all, i care about money, that shit comes and goes.
Somehow, ever since i left the service, it is very difficult for me to understand, for starters, the civilian way of life. No hierarchy, no order, no discipline, and everyone thinks they know things... Its too soft, and just not the way i want to live my life. People ask for respect, which one can't ask for, you have to earn it.
For me, the harder the conditions are, the better i feel... I like stress. The idea of "break him up, than make him the way he should be", suits me just fine.
And i always believed that a man should be valued by what he does, how he does it, and how much is he working, not by how much bullshit can come out of his mouth, or if he has a rich relative... Well, reality check-i failed to accept all that.
If i do get in, I'm in for a long run.

However, there are several things on my mind which i see as potential problems, and I am humbly asking you gentlemen for help:
1. I was stabbed a year ago in a fight (which was supposed to be a fair 1 v 1 fight...), so i got 4 stab wounds on my leg (now nice scars) and a slash on my hand. All healed up nicely, and none of the injuries are affecting me in any way. And i did test that leg a lot. But the scars are visible. Very... Read somewhere that if one has visible scars, he gets rejected ASAP. True/false?
2. I've had some bad financial decisions few years back so I'm very bad on credit report. Does that affect my chances to join? From the previous info i got, it DOESN'T affect my chances, as the Legion probably doesn't care about that.
3. In case I get rejected for Visa, is there any chance i might get into selection without Visa (illegal border-crossing, which i am ready to go for if i know that i will get into selection)?(Main reason i think this might happen is because of the question No. 2.)
4. I have -1 on both eyes, wear contacts/glasses. The question is, is REP out of question because of that? Not saying that other Regiments are not as good, just saying that if i get a chance to pick, REP is my choice. Want to earn my wings.
Somewhere i saw 2REP Legionaries with glasses. (Yet on this forum I read a post saying that one can say goodbye to 2REP if he has not-perfect eyesight.)

Basically, this wraps it.
I am sorry for a a bit longer text, just wanted you guys to get the info right.
Best regards, and thank you.
M

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Hi and welcome to forum. If no one answers your questions I will after some time, but is better that some legionnaire do that.

I would just say that you have answer for question # 4 on official legion site and answer for question #3 is ... WTF you need visa for ??? :)

Hi man!
That made the confusion, seeing on the official site it says no problem for up to -3, yet someone said no way... Got my answer now, thanks!
What a stone that was... If i don't need Visa, im good to go :)
Thank you very much!
And yea, i will wait for answers on the first 2.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Don't know about eyesight, but no, we don't need visa for Schengen area for almost 10 years now. Take your passport and you are good to go.

Once more, dusaboss, thank you! That was like 80% of my troubles... It is tough to get an accurate info around the net these days...

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
No problem. If I can help somehow I'm here, but is little bit confusing to me that you didn't knew that for visa. Is not new thing (10y) and majority people of our age in Serbia know that, but ...OK I think you have good chances for getting in.

Common sense, i get it... But too much reading, and in wrong direction can be misleading. Now i know for sure. On top of that, add "this guy says that, that guy said that", that made me confused. Appreciated, brother.

rio.sir,

Welcome to the forum. Try to glean as much information as possible posted by those in Green. It is a shame that so many former members of the FFL no longer contribute, in comparison, to when I joined this forum, many years ago. Those in Blue are in the main decent Wanabes but with little or no real knowledge about the Legion of today.

Some others in Blue have served within the military and joined the forum out of a genuine interest.

Good luck.

Chas. Trained by former WW2 Cdos with Coveted Green Beret and T. Shirt.

Take with you, army service certificats, (especially , where it mentions, served his time and behaved well
Why worry about Visa ? If you obtain 1,all the better
Why worry about debt ? I don't
Scars. ..tell them they are from your army days. ..start thinking about how you got them. ..best is to déforme the truth slightly
Eye sight. .if you make it too Aubange, it cant be that bad
And welcome to the forum

rio.sir,

Welcome to the forum. Try to glean as much information as possible posted by those in Green. It is a shame that so many former members of the FFL no longer contribute, in comparison, to when I joined this forum, many years ago. Those in Blue are in the main decent Wanabes but with little or no real knowledge about the Legion of today.

Some others in Blue have served within the military and joined the forum out of a genuine interest.

Good luck.

Chas. Trained by former WW2 Cdos with Coveted Green Beret and T. Shirt.
Hi Chas. Thank you.
It is a shame indeed. On the bright side, there is more than enough info around, so its easy to filter the right stuff.
Much appreciated, cheers!

Take with you, army service certificats, (especially , where it mentions, served his time and behaved well
Why worry about Visa ? If you obtain 1,all the better
Why worry about debt ? I don't
Scars. ..tell them they are from your army days. ..start thinking about how you got them. ..best is to déforme the truth slightly
Eye sight. .if you make it too Aubange, it cant be that bad
And welcome to the forum
All explained perfectly. Thank you, Sir.

Well, i got all the answers i need, rest is defined. Solid info, thank you people, and stay safe.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
rio.ser welcome to the forum.
French Foreign Legion Vision Requirements
What are the vision requirements and eyesight standards for joining the French Foreign Legion? Being nearsighted or shortsighted, being farsighted orlongsighted. Color blindness. Do legionnaires wear glasses or contact lenses or they do not? Am I allowed to wear glasses (specs) or contact lenses while enlisting and serving in the Foreign Legion? What are the French Foreign Legion eyesight standards?
As a part of the French Army, the Foreign Legion uses the same medical profile determination system, known as SIGYCOP. For visual perception evaluation is used the letter Y (yeux – eyes in French). The letter Y scale ranges from 0 to 6. The general eyesight standard required for joining the French Army (and the Legion) ranges from 1 (the best result) to 5. The number 6 signifies that you are failed and can not to join in. The letter C is reserved for Color blindness. You have to reach 4 at the maximum (again, the number 1 is the best result).
If you are thinking about becoming a paratrooper or a commando member in GCP (Parachute Commando Group, 2e REP), you have to obtain Y-3 and C-3 (C-2 for GCP) in the worst-case scenario.
French Foreign Legion Minimum Vision Requirements
  • Y-5:

• MYOPIA (being nearsighted or shortsighted): -10 (ten) diopters maximum
  • HYPEROPIA (being farsighted, being longsighted): +8 (eight) diopters maximum

• You may have other vision problems. In this case you have to be able:
  • a) with glasses or contact lenses
    – to read the 7th line (see image below) at minimum with one eye
    – to read the 2nd line at minimum with the second eye
  • b) with glasses or contact lenses
    – to read the 6th line at minimum with one eye
    – to read the 3rd line at minimum with the second eye
  • c) with glasses or contact lenses
    – to read the 5th line at minimum with one eye
    – to read the 4th line at minimum with the second eye
An example of an optometric chart (Photo credit: STP PHARMA)

• Y-3 (airborne forces and commandos):

• MYOPIA (being nearsighted or shortsighted): -3 (three) diopters maximum
  • HYPEROPIA (being farsighted, being longsighted): +3 (three) diopters maximum

• You may have other vision problems. In this case you have to be able:
    • 1. WITHOUT glasses or contact lenses

• a) – to read the 3rd line at minimum with both of eyes
    • b) – to read the 4th line at minimum with one eye
      – to read the 2nd line at minimum with the second eye
    • c) – to read the 1st line at minimum with one eye
      – to read the 5th line at minimum with the second eye
    • 2. WITH glasses or contact lenses

• a) – to read the 8th line at minimum with both of eyes
    • b) – to read the 9th line at minimum with one eye
      – to read the 7th line at minimum with the second eye
    • c) – to read the 10th line at minimum with one eye
      – to read the 6th line at minimum with the second eye

French Foreign Legion Color Blindness Requirements
  • C-4:
    • Hesitation between GREEN and RED color, but comply with the TCCP test (Test de Capacité Chromatique Professionnelle)

• – the TCCP test examines in detail your real degree of color blindness
    • – that degree has to be in accordance with your qualification required for various specialities of the C4 level
  • C-3 (airborne forces):
    • NO hesitation between GREEN and RED color

• – you are allowed to fail the Ishihara Color Vision Test (a color perception test), but you have to recognize RED and GREEN colors surely in the lantern test
  • C-2 (commandos):
    • – you are allowed to fail the Ishihara Color Vision Test, but you have to recognize all the basic colors in the Beyne lantern test

French Foreign Legion – Other Vision Requirements
AMBLYOPIA
– a part of your vision test result (if you have passed the basic vision test, so there is no problem)
NYCTALOPIA (Night Blindness)
– there is no statement about Nyctalopia because of no longer testing it
– on the other hand, the most common cause of Nyctalopia is retinitis pigmentosa(pigmented retina) and this problem is classified in the SIGYCOP medical test as Y-6(you have failed)
GLAUCOMA
– Primary angle closure glaucoma – Y-6 (you have failed)
– Primary open-angle glaucoma (chronic open-angle glaucoma, chronic simple glaucoma) – Y 3-6 (the final result depends on your basic vision test)
STRABISMUS (Heterotropia)
– both of eyes – Y 3-6 (the final result depends on your basic vision test)
– one eye – Y 2-5 (the final result depends on your basic vision test)
These are the most common problems with your eyes. However, there are tens of other eyesight problems mentioned in the SIGYCOP system. Half of them are classified between 3-6, the rest of them are classified as the 6. As always, the final result is only up to the medics.
Eye surgery. If you had a laser vision-correction surgery (or another eye surgery), you have to wait at least 12 months before you can try to enlist you in the Legion.

I copied that from the legion site. There is a paragraph on airborne and commando requirements. As for the scars, whatever you say make sure it sounds convincing and do not change your story once you have told it.
To get into the legion all they require is your passport, they are not interested in visas.
No need to mention any debt problems, it would just start a topic of inquiries.

So it looks as though you are good to go. Best of luck.

Hi Joseph. Thanks for taking time to check the post. Good info all around.

And thank you for all the advice, will do.

Well, got a few things left to do, but i'm getting there.

Hello mate, a legionnaire here told me I can get an eye correction surgery to get into REP. Dunno which surgery the legion requires, but for most armies including mine and US You are required to do PRK to get into SF, in the US they said you get a waiver if you have done lasik and that they have stopped doing so lately. But this is the legion so it is definitely different, for example, my country nowadays rejects all surgeries. if you are Y-4 + then I guess you are like me. Legionnaires also told me you can join and afterwards they would see if you are fit for a surgery or not.
https://cervens.net/forum/index.php?threads/old-age-wannabe-trying-to-join-this-year.21653/page-4 is this the post you read about scars? Someone here tried to join but said the dr didn't like his old scars, your best bet is to contact some greens here directly to learn more about that. Goodluck!

Hi keegan mactavish.
"Legionnaires also told me you can join and afterwards they would see if you are fit for a surgery or not."
If actually true, would be great. Although that 1 year waiting period mentioned before even going to selection... Not there for nothing, i guess?
And yea, that is the post where i saw that about them scars.
Thanks for the reply!​

Hi keegan mactavish.​
"Legionnaires also told me you can join and afterwards they would see if you are fit for a surgery or not."​
If actually true, would be great. Although that 1 year waiting period mentioned before even going to selection... Not there for nothing, i guess?​
And yea, that is the post where i saw that about them scars.​
Thanks for the reply!​
You can actually join with your glasses, then after that express your want to do a surgery and they will handle it. Again I am quoting a legionnaire. Please excuse my bad memory for not mentioning names :)

Most viewed threads of the week