a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi. New South African member here joining in 2018.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Rapace,

I don't think I lost the translation, My level is pretty good on the comprehension portion. I think you are right, I was Bullshitted. Not sure why the little brats would want to do that, but whatever. I remember having a lengthy conversation with a couple of the cats and they insisted that their pay 500 Euros. Oh well, I would have just said I make the same as a legionnaire. Meh, they are kids. But serving none the less.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
African,

Females joining the RM is simply a crass PR exercise based on the PC MoDs' ideas on equality.
A decade or so ago great acclaim was given to Capt. Philippa Tattersall (Army athletics champion) who undertook the now 13 week All Arms Commando Course. She had 3 attempts coming back to complete tests that she had failed. Now officers and Marines train together. However much of what she did was hidden and eventually she was presented a CGB. It caused a furore and she never served with the RMs' throughout her future service.

Our Commando March is Sarie Marais the old Boer trekking song as a tribute to the fantastic S.Africans who served in the RM Cdos during WW2.

In another incarnation my great chum Jacobus Erasmus, may he RIP said to me ; Charlie Mak der Mann durt. I need write no more.

African

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
The British Armed forces are once again periodically taking in commonwealth citizens (even if no 5 year res), you just have to keep an eye on their recruitment schedule.

I too am South African and it irks me how someone can call themselves SAcan and come on the web to slag off the country of their birth. Shows lack decorum, is in bad taste and am not sure how the legion looks upon such candidates. From what I have read in the legion you get treated like shit and you must smile and say thank you, not come to the web and cry endlessly about it. If you want to join the FFL just say you want to join no need to slag off a whole country.

The fact is there is NO AFFIRMATIVE ACTION policy in the SANDF. They do have an equal opportunity policy meaning a certain number from each demographic will be accepted, that translate to only the best of the best will get in. If you did not cut it man up and accept it. Hearing from a friend of your cousins son who didn't make the cut and now has excuses as long Dumbledores beard to cover his embarrassment is not fact.

Good luck on your ambitions to enlist swaarjaak, I hope when you get there you will show them how good of a candidate you are and avoid reminiscing about apartheid. All the best.

I suggest you read a few newspapers and watch a few sessions of Parliament. The president is laughing at people like you while he's stealing your money. It's a fact that we are living in one of the most corrupt countries in the world. Unfortunately government institutions like the military and police are the worst off in this situation. They are underfunded, the funds they do have are mismanaged and they got rid of many experienced officials who aren't willing to collude with them.

By doing a quick Google search, you will clearly see that the SANDF does in fact have affirmative action policies. Their pr stunts to recruit more whites are just that, pr stunts to trick guys like you into thinking you'll get an equal opportunity. That just allows them to say in Parliament that they are trying to recruit whites. Even though there are court cases about them refusing to promote qualified coloured and white guys, but instead promote unqualified black political cronies. For example the honourable mr Brian Molefi who was fired for corruption and colluding with the Guptas just to be "called up" by the military two months ago. He is now earning a colonel's salary even though he was only a seremonial colonel at a wreath laying years ago and never received formal training. It's disgusting if you ask me.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
I suggest you read a few newspapers and watch a few sessions of Parliament. The president is laughing at people like you while he's stealing your money. It's a fact that we are living in one of the most corrupt countries in the world. Unfortunately government institutions like the military and police are the worst off in this situation. They are underfunded, the funds they do have are mismanaged and they got rid of many experienced officials who aren't willing to collude with them.

By doing a quick Google search, you will clearly see that the SANDF does in fact have affirmative action policies. Their pr stunts to recruit more whites are just that, pr stunts to trick guys like you into thinking you'll get an equal opportunity. That just allows them to say in Parliament that they are trying to recruit whites. Even though there are court cases about them refusing to promote qualified coloured and white guys, but instead promote unqualified black political cronies. For example the honourable mr Brian Molefi who was fired for corruption and colluding with the Guptas just to be "called up" by the military two months ago. He is now earning a colonel's salary even though he was only a seremonial colonel at a wreath laying years ago and never received formal training. It's disgusting if you ask me.

I can't believe I'm witnessing bickering amongst us Saffas, not painting a good picture for us chaps. Yes the situation here isn't ideal, but it's also what you make of it. Joining the military of any nation or service is a personal decision and the reasons are your own. No point in pointing fingers or arguing like school girls, make your decision and stick to it, arguing about personal reasons or beliefs of joining wherever/whoever, is just ridiculous.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
It's really not mine to say and judge, but I will anyway :)

I think you guys exaggerating situation down there. Ok, if comparison is with Denmark or Switzerland than its bad, but compare yourself to the rest of the Africa?

I see that some whites live in fancy neighborhoods with big wall around. How common is that in SA?

pop's

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
the Troll SALegion started throwing the stones SnafuSmite
ZALegion . I live here in SA, employ locals, vote and pay my taxes which gives me the right to bitch when corrupt thieving imbeciles turn a good country into another "failed African state"
NO AFFIRMATIVE ACTION policy in the SANDF! What do you know ZAlegion, sitting in your damp London flat. Affirmative Action is in everything from the local cricket team to company shares
SA Army https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/...diers-held-up-in-military-base-heist-20170414

pop's

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
no exaggeration dusaboss. High walls make good neighbours. We need them. Before dark we lock ourselves in, check the electric fence and make sure the beams are clear

My Repman son had been on the wrong of 6 armed robberies before his 16th birthday. Knife to his throat, Ak at his temple and a R4 bullet fired past his head from 2 feet away. My wife was in 5 of those and me in 4. 1 year ago the baddies climbed over our "high security wall" and cleaned the lounge out while we were sleeping. 6 months ago they were back again, i had a handgun pointed at me through the glass window before we hit the panic button. Neighbors 70 yr old parents got hacked to pieces with pangas 1 month ago in PE and I've just heard my local gas station manger was stabbed to death on Tuesday.
Around 49 people are murdered in South Africa every day. In the 2016/17 year, the rate of murders increased to 52 a day, with 19,016 murders recorded between April 2016 to March 2017.
My hero son is safer in the Legion than in South Africa

ZALegion

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
the Troll SALegion started throwing the stones SnafuSmite
ZALegion . I live here in SA, employ locals, vote and pay my taxes which gives me the right to bitch when corrupt thieving imbeciles turn a good country into another "failed African state"
NO AFFIRMATIVE ACTION policy in the SANDF! What do you know ZAlegion, sitting in your damp London flat. Affirmative Action is in everything from the local cricket team to company shares
SA Army https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/...diers-held-up-in-military-base-heist-20170414
Pop's

I really don't see how engaging or disagreeing with someone makes me a troll. The ease in which you resort to name calling is a bit disappointing given your station in life. It is my understanding that you are a parent, for that reason I'm not going to take it personally.

Solid advice from SnafuSmite.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

pop's

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
nice reply ZALegion. apologies for the troll quote
on the good side of South Africa.
we have the friendliest people, best weather and spectacular scenery.
I have been to 18 different countries in all corners of the globe and there is no better place for my wife and I to live than here in SA
Africa is not for sissies

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
no exaggeration dusaboss. High walls make good neighbours. We need them. Before dark we lock ourselves in, check the electric fence and make sure the beams are clear

My Repman son had been on the wrong of 6 armed robberies before his 16th birthday. Knife to his throat, Ak at his temple and a R4 bullet fired past his head from 2 feet away. My wife was in 5 of those and me in 4. 1 year ago the baddies climbed over our "high security wall" and cleaned the lounge out while we were sleeping. 6 months ago they were back again, i had a handgun pointed at me through the glass window before we hit the panic button. Neighbors 70 yr old parents got hacked to pieces with pangas 1 month ago in PE and I've just heard my local gas station manger was stabbed to death on Tuesday.
Around 49 people are murdered in South Africa every day. In the 2016/17 year, the rate of murders increased to 52 a day, with 19,016 murders recorded between April 2016 to March 2017.
My hero son is safer in the Legion than in South Africa

Wow, That's F- up. Walls or always portrayed in media as sign of segregation and better living of whites, but I knew there is another side of that coin to which media not talking about. I mean you don't build 3 m wall with electric fence and barb wire just to don't look mess in your poor neighbors yard.

ZALegion

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
nice reply ZALegion. apologies for the troll quote
on the good side of South Africa.
we have the friendliest people, best weather and spectacular scenery.
I have been to 18 different countries in all corners of the globe and there is no better place for my wife and I to live than here in SA
Africa is not for sissies
Fair-play.

South Africa is not all bad. There plenty of shocking places out there. Vladimir Putin is the richest man (Bill Browder) in the world from having corrupt oligarchs pay him 50% of all their dealings and if you challenge him it's off to the gulang (Sergei Magnitsky). In the Dubai if you bump into a man you can be jailed for homosexuality!

In Pakistan in order to get an ID you have to declare that Muhammad is the only way and death to anyone who disagrees (you literally have to sign this declaration).

Theresa May has the shittiest job in the world after Daves big F-up, but she can't quit coz her husband is making a killing off government contracts. Donald Trump had one meeting with the Chinese and her daughter got approved for millions in business dealings in China. Show me a country that is free of corruption. Equal Representation isn't unique to SA in the UK the same debate is taking place (BAME). Youngsters in South London are walking around with swords looking like Ian McLeod, I was in Southwark and I saw three youths pulled out a sword on one guy, he didn't know whether he was being knighted or mugged. Last I read London has one of the highest rates of stabbings in the world.

South Africa is alright. http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a2031a4ae2bb/VID_20290319_040439_292.mp4

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

African

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
ZALegion

It will always be possible to find a silver lining. South Africa is great, I am a proud South African and enjoying life here (you learn to cope with crime and corruption). And am not planning to leave the country permanently, unless we have a Zimbabwe situation. However, I am not proud of the current administration and the way they are running this country into the ground, making black people even poorer than ever before. No-one can defend the steady decline of our country. The slope of that decline is getting steaper. By pretending that nothing is wrong, won't help. By bickering online about it won't either, so I'm in the wrong as well.

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
I understand what you mean man. My grandparents were in the Recces and have a lot of awesome stories. They actually encourage me to join the Legion or any other Military. It is just that the quality of our military isn’t what is used to be and I don’t want to waste my time.
Yes as a south african that was in new sandf its pathetic to say the least. Our recces were the best in the world and was proven multiple times but since 1994 its just politics colour and just a big nightmare. I mean how do you train new recruits for over a year after basics just to do peace keeping mission. The people are overweight 95% of our armed forces have aids and list goes on. Thats why i left in 2002. But im 36 now and im determened aswell to make it in ffl. June im there proving i can still be an asset.

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
But let me just say on a note I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get into ffl its my dream my destiny.