a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi, Another that will be attempting to join

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Hi,
How you all doing?
I am one of many others that is looking to join the FFL, I have thought about this a lot, desperate for a military lifestyle. I am not going straight away and going to give myself 6-8 months to get myself in the best physical shape and be as prepared as possible, tho with all the reading etc I have done, I get the impression that no two joining process go exactly the same.
i think that conditioning myself as best as possible would go in my favor, im going to be setting my alarm for 4.45am, get straight up no hesitation and make my bed as quick and neatly as possible, shave, get showered within a minute which is the time allocated to shower by the FFL i have read, tho if that is wrong, someone let me no, its the little things like that which I want to be ready for at pre selection-basic training, I dont want the things that I can prepare for be an issue when there and the things I cant prepare for, well, bring them on.
I am 27, when I go to join I will be 28, I am from the uk and had wanted to join the british army but they would not accept me, nothing that would be an issue in the FFL. Had quite a few shit jobs, worked in a gym and was a spin instructor etc but they never lasted, my homelife, family situation, its not something I will go into now but its a huge reason why I am going to try to join, plus the fact that I am naturally someone who gets a kick out of anything that gets my adrenaline going, I think having that kind of personality could be put into something better like the legion instead of the shit I have put myself in due to that here in the uk in the past.
So thats a brief bit about me,
Cheers for reading.

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hello WannaWillibe and welcome to the forum. Thanks for giving us a bit of back ground on yourself. Good luck on the training and preparation. Don't expect to be getting high on Adrenalin in Castel or even worse Aubagne. A lot of it is hurry up and wait. Aubagne will be boring chores and waiting around. I am convinced that this is part of the weeding out process.

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Hello WannaWillibe and welcome to the forum. Thanks for giving us a bit of back ground on yourself. Good luck on the training and preparation. Don't expect to be getting high on Adrenalin in Castel or even worse Aubagne. A lot of it is hurry up and wait. Aubagne will be boring chores and waiting around. I am convinced that this is part of the weeding out process.

Hey Joseph, Thanks for the welcome. I have read maybe on here I think that when going through the motions from handing over your documents, having medical etc you can wait for hours at a time doing nothing but like you said your convinced its part of the weeding out process and I agree, I mean if you cant have the discipline to follow a simple silence and wait, then your not going to make it far in the FFL right? lol I am on the adrenaline side of things thinking end goal, to be deployed with a regiment, the excitment and nervousness that I can imagine you would feel, but at the same time I think id have an addrenaline rush just being there and going through the preselection etc but I am under no illusion that like in everyday life, you have good days and bad, great times and shit ones. I see it says by your name your a legionnaire, congratulations mate, how long have you served in the FFL?

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Welcome to the forum mate, theres tonnes of info around, check the stickys
Greens are currently serving/ex-legionnaires and Reds are forum admin and Mods.

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Welcome to the forum mate, theres tonnes of info around, check the stickys
Greens are currently serving/ex-legionnaires and Reds are forum admin and Mods.

Hey Snafu, cheers for the welcome, I have been a bit of a silent reader on here for a bit, its nice to have joined properly. Nice one on the heads up on the 'greens and reds'. I am just one of many right now who want to join the FFL but I feel like I need to be prepared as possible and while im not going to france for about 8 months that gives me the time needed to make sure im in the best possible position to smash this once in a lifetime oppertunity but I feel like its possible to overthink the situation also, i guess its about finding the right balance. Thanks again for the welcome mate

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Welcome and good luck

Hey, Thanks for the welcome and the luck, I recon ill need a bit of the luck when I arrive in france at the FFL but till then ill make my own luck and do all I need to be in the best standing possible for when I arrive at the FFL, but its easy to talk the talk, but I will be ready to walk the walk. Thanks again for the welcome

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I see it says by your name your a legionnaire, congratulations mate, how long have you served in the FFL?
Ex legionnaire - if there is such a thing.
Seventeen and a half years Loved every minute of it .
Hated every minute of it when I was in. No, just joking.
Just a quick one here. Today I'm sitting drinking a beer outside of a supermarket (I'm in Thailand so don't be surprised), the beer is supermarket prices and there are tables outside. An American was talking to a Belgian who is a regular. He was on about Pres. Trump wanting to have a military parade like they do in France (but different). The American is saying that he would love to meet anyone who had done the parade on the 14th of July and ask him what it was like.
I've had the honor of doing it twice, both times with the REP. I haven't told anyone here that I was in the legion. I certainly wasn't going to answer someones questions about marching down the champs Elysee. And then the inevitable question what was it like in the legion.
Seventeen and a half years summed up in five minutes? No way Jose.

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Ex legionnaire - if there is such a thing.
Seventeen and a half years Loved every minute of it .
Hated every minute of it when I was in. No, just joking.
Just a quick one here. Today I'm sitting drinking a beer outside of a supermarket (I'm in Thailand so don't be surprised), the beer is supermarket prices and there are tables outside. An American was talking to a Belgian who is a regular. He was on about Pres. Trump wanting to have a military parade like they do in France (but different). The American is saying that he would love to meet anyone who had done the parade on the 14th of July and ask him what it was like.
I've had the honor of doing it twice, both times with the REP. I haven't told anyone here that I was in the legion. I certainly wasn't going to answer someones questions about marching down the champs Elysee. And then the inevitable question what was it like in the legion.
Seventeen and a half years summed up in five minutes? No way Jose.

Seventeen and a half years, incredible, you must have seen and done alot in that time there, can i ask what year you joined?. I bet at times there was moments of disliking it? well not necessarily disliking the FFL but disliking a situation you found youself in there, but that is life and no one ever says the FFL is easy but living a 'normal' whatever that is 9-5 working day in and out, doing something u have no desire and passion for can be just as hard but for a select few I believe that a military life will be the correct fit, I believe that in regards to me, but thats not just for me to believe, the FFL will make that final decision in the end.

So your out in Thailand, i bet it is interesting out there, enjoy your beer or two or three lol.. I admire the fact you hold the humbleness to not jump in and tell the american and belgian about you doing the parade, im not sure that I could have done the same lol, mind you, im guessing after seventeen and a half years and that whole life experience, you get over the fact that you got to a position you have longed to be in and learn to humble yourself a bit? regardless, fair play. seventeen and a half years is very respectable and iv read online quite a few have deserted or left after the 5year mark, not saying the latter is wrong or right or anything, its personal choice but the ideal situation in my head is if I get in, I want to be there for a long time, and I be the best I can be. I bet you have heard loads of people say that, but nothing online etc or what our minds imagine can depict the reality of being there, so its until then when I will know my lifes path, but one thing i am certain on is it is with the FFL.. for how long,, who knows. and if im not accepted I can least say I tried.. pssh fuck that, being turned down is not an option for me.. maybe that sets me up for a fall.. or maybe that will help..

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Done 14 july in Paris twice too
Second time i was invited to Jacques Chiracs table at the hôtel de ville, he was mayor at the time

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Done 14 july in Paris twice too
Second time i was invited to Jacques Chiracs table at the hôtel de ville, he was mayor at the time

How long did or have you been in the Legion mate? It must be a great feeling to be apart of something like that. Fair play to you.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
WannaWillbe,

Welcome to the forum. Good luck in your endeavours. I wish you success. As a matter of curiosity which Brit Army regiments did you apply for ?
If embarrassed by this question no need to respond. However at 27/ 28 you could still engage.

If you do join the FFL you will be at the bottom of the food chain. You will do menial duties and may be under the watch of a junior NCO younger than you. However at 28 you will have maturity on your side. You must genuinely indicate a 'want factor'.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Seventeen and a half years, incredible, you must have seen and done alot in that time there, can i ask what year you joined?.
I joined in '84. My ID card had 04 Mai 1984 on it. But in fact it was the 02 May, a day after the Cameone celebrations -which is followed by the 1 st of May. I can even tell you the time 11h45 which makes me an engagé gamelle. I've more or less gone over this in the past but will summarize by saying that I eventually found my way to F de N. By then I was starving because I had no idea where it was and was watching my dwindling money resources dwindling. I considered going to a bar and getting a sandwich before knocking on the door. Against my grumbling stomach's complaining I decided to join straight up. I handed over my passport and was asked a couple of questions and told to wait in a room opposite the guard room. I had a quick check of my kit and told to follow the corporal who led to to ... The ordinaire or cook house (dining area).

As I've said it was just after the two days of Camerone (which at the time had never heard of) The food was excellent because we were eating what was left over. I was already hungry and thinking to myself, this legion grub is just the works, I'm glad I joined.
The next day- surprise...

Reaction score
Home Country
England
WannaWillbe,

Welcome to the forum. Good luck in your endeavours. I wish you success. As a matter of curiosity which Brit Army regiments did you apply for ?
If embarrassed by this question no need to respond. However at 27/ 28 you could still engage.

If you do join the FFL you will be at the bottom of the food chain. You will do menial duties and may be under the watch of a junior NCO younger than you. However at 28 you will have maturity on your side. You must genuinely indicate a 'want factor'.

Hi Chas,
Thank you mate, I appreciate the good luck and success.
No im not embarrassed to say, I just wanted to go into infantry and I went to the BA career center to speak with someone there, due to something on my medical records, something that I had to be on for a while (I wont go into detail, if you would like to no more I will speak more on it via pm) I was advised that it would be an issue. It was a while ago when I went and maybe things have changed in regards to there policies on that situation but I had already expected it to be a problem. I did think of other british military options but I figure if the army dont want me, nor would other british military.
My longing for a military life, I cant put into words easily and considering the FFL was not something I have taken lightly, but the fact I can turn up and get judged on the person I am now, not for my past mistakes, there is a real comfort I take from that.
I have no problem being at the bottom of the food chain, I have the desire to learn, progress, this is a personal journey for me as well as the actual progression in the FFL. The way I see it is, the age of others means nothing really to me anyway, there experience, the fact they have walked the walk and are not just talking the talk so to speak, that is what I will focus on in regards to that, I am going there knowing I am there to be turned into a soldier, and that process is far from easy as lets face it, I am walking in there as a civilian with everything to learn for a job that I have chose, no one has forced me, and that I need to shut my mouth, open my ears and not let any personal thoughts or feelings about anyone there from staff to others in my position get in the way of my goal.

Reaction score
Home Country
England
I joined in '84. My ID card had 04 Mai 1984 on it. But in fact it was the 02 May, a day after the Cameone celebrations -which is followed by the 1 st of May. I can even tell you the time 11h45 which makes me an engagé gamelle. I've more or less gone over this in the past but will summarize by saying that I eventually found my way to F de N. By then I was starving because I had no idea where it was and was watching my dwindling money resources dwindling. I considered going to a bar and getting a sandwich before knocking on the door. Against my grumbling stomach's complaining I decided to join straight up. I handed over my passport and was asked a couple of questions and told to wait in a room opposite the guard room. I had a quick check of my kit and told to follow the corporal who led to to ... The ordinaire or cook house (dining area).

As I've said it was just after the two days of Camerone (which at the time had never heard of) The food was excellent because we were eating what was left over. I was already hungry and thinking to myself, this legion grub is just the works, I'm glad I joined.
The next day- surprise...

Did you find that the food was decent during basic training or in general?.. Iv read that now food during basic is not a lot, and breakfast is just baguette and am sure somewhere said pate too, lucky I like baguette, pate tho...err lol

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chas,
Thank you mate, I appreciate the good luck and success.
No im not embarrassed to say, I just wanted to go into infantry and I went to the BA career center to speak with someone there, due to something on my medical records, something that I had to be on for a while (I wont go into detail, if you would like to no more I will speak more on it via pm) I was advised that it would be an issue. It was a while ago when I went and maybe things have changed in regards to there policies on that situation but I had already expected it to be a problem. I did think of other british military options but I figure if the army dont want me, nor would other british military.
My longing for a military life, I cant put into words easily and considering the FFL was not something I have taken lightly, but the fact I can turn up and get judged on the person I am now, not for my past mistakes, there is a real comfort I take from that.
I have no problem being at the bottom of the food chain, I have the desire to learn, progress, this is a personal journey for me as well as the actual progression in the FFL. The way I see it is, the age of others means nothing really to me anyway, there experience, the fact they have walked the walk and are not just talking the talk so to speak, that is what I will focus on in regards to that, I am going there knowing I am there to be turned into a soldier, and that process is far from easy as lets face it, I am walking in there as a civilian with everything to learn for a job that I have chose, no one has forced me, and that I need to shut my mouth, open my ears and not let any personal thoughts or feelings about anyone there from staff to others in my position get in the way of my goal.

WW, easier to type. No need for a pm. My advice is simple. If your mind is made up, get fit and go a.s.a.p. Bonne chance et bon voyage.
Get in , complete your contract with honour and fidelite and you will be part of an exclusive club like me ! When an old fart like me it will be memories you can be proud of and you can bore everyone with your stories of 'derring do'. My family call it 'Walting' and I tell them they are simply jealous. Then the blighters hide my CGB and presentation Cdo dagger from my display cabinet. Next time I shall really tell them to Foxtrot Oscar.

Reaction score
Home Country
England
WW, easier to type. No need for a pm. My advice is simple. If your mind is made up, get fit and go a.s.a.p. Bonne chance et bon voyage.
Get in , complete your contract with honour and fidelite and you will be part of an exclusive club like me ! When an old fart like me it will be memories you can be proud of and you can bore everyone with your stories of 'derring do'. My family call it 'Walting' and I tell them they are simply jealous. Then the blighters hide my CGB and presentation Cdo dagger from my display cabinet. Next time I shall really tell them to Foxtrot Oscar.

Cheers for the advice mate, my mind is made up for sure, and I am training, getting up at 4.45am soon as i hear the alarm im out of bed like a madman, i stand to attention, then make my bed as quick as possible and have a timer for my 1min showers, if anyone could see me who knows me would think im nuts, maybe I am lol but I dont want something like having to be up early, jump up no hesitation etc to be an issue there or it be a shock to the system, i want my body clock to be running to there times if possible , there is enough I can imagine to deal with there anyway so im not letting what I can prepare myself for be an issue even if it is a small thing like getting up at 4.45am without hesitation lol.

When did you join mate? and lol next time you have your dagger hid from you, id say once its found ill be using it lol...

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
How you all doing?
I am one of many others that is looking to join the FFL, I have thought about this a lot, desperate for a military lifestyle. I am not going straight away and going to give myself 6-8 months to get myself in the best physical shape and be as prepared as possible, tho with all the reading etc I have done, I get the impression that no two joining process go exactly the same.
i think that conditioning myself as best as possible would go in my favor, im going to be setting my alarm for 4.45am, get straight up no hesitation and make my bed as quick and neatly as possible, shave, get showered within a minute which is the time allocated to shower by the FFL i have read, tho if that is wrong, someone let me no, its the little things like that which I want to be ready for at pre selection-basic training, I dont want the things that I can prepare for be an issue when there and the things I cant prepare for, well, bring them on.
I am 27, when I go to join I will be 28, I am from the uk and had wanted to join the british army but they would not accept me, nothing that would be an issue in the FFL. Had quite a few shit jobs, worked in a gym and was a spin instructor etc but they never lasted, my homelife, family situation, its not something I will go into now but its a huge reason why I am going to try to join, plus the fact that I am naturally someone who gets a kick out of anything that gets my adrenaline going, I think having that kind of personality could be put into something better like the legion instead of the shit I have put myself in due to that here in the uk in the past.
So thats a brief bit about me,
Cheers for reading.
Sounds to me like you want to join for the right reasons , there`s not much you can do in the UK as a career other than Army/police that could be described as regularly giving you an adrenalin rush and physically testing , go for it , good luck.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Sounds to me like you want to join for the right reasons , there`s not much you can do in the UK as a career other than Army/police that could be described as regularly giving you an adrenalin rush and physically testing , go for it , good luck.

Surfguy why did you change flag? Welsh flag looks cool with that dragon on it. Ok you still have a skull but... Did guys from MI5 had friendly chat with you after which you decided that Union Jack is better? :)

After all your flag (Wales) is only one out of 4 countries not implemented into Union Jack.

Reaction score
Home Country
England

Hi mate,
Cheers for the good luck, my reasons for wanting to join, I think they are the rights reasons and there is a fair amount of stuff I have not put up on here but at the end of the day my goal for now, to get myself in the best possible place before joining, get my ass to france and present myself to the legion, put in the work and let them decide, my mind is made up what I want, it will then be upto them to make there choice... fingers crossed ey.
Your right, not much else in the uk apart from army/police that can give me what I need in terms of adrenaline rush, and the police, they would not have me and no disrespect to them but id never want to join them lot anyway, no chance lol
Thanks for the message bro