a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• The Forum will be unavailable within a few hours while we are fixing/upgrading

Hello!

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
A big concern is how likely I am to actually have to kill someone. How likely is this, assuming I'm an engineer?

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
It's that likely?
Don’t be a wise ass!. You are on a foreign Legion Site..concerned about taking a life!!..and maybe it would be different if you were an engineer!.. it is not a pleasant thing to take another’s life..and if you serve in any military that is always a possibility and part of the job!..if this is distasteful to you perhaps the peace corps!?..otherwise go away!!

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Calm down? I know it's a military outfit, and I know combat's a possibility. What I asked, if you can read, is how likely it is. As in, is it 100% guaranteed, or is it more like a 1-in-10 chance. The FFL appeals to me because of the grit and discipline - shooting people would be a big price to pay for that, and I'm weighing things up. Why else do you think I joined a forum?

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Calm down? I know it's a military outfit, and I know combat's a possibility. What I asked, if you can read, is how likely it is. As in, is it 100% guaranteed, or is it more like a 1-in-10 chance. The FFL appeals to me because of the grit and discipline - shooting people would be a big price to pay for that, and I'm weighing things up. Why else do you think I joined a forum?
Mastering_Fire :

Show some respect to Mark Wake who has made a very dangerous combat jump.
Telling him to calm down is mere impudence and asking him if he can read asinine.

Chas. Trained by former WW2 Cdos Subsequent officer.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Mastering_fire,

What kind of percent are you looking for? If you come under fire you will be expected to fire back. I can't for the life of me think what percentage of your unit coming under fire would be either.

You might want to take a bit of time out to present your excuses to Mark, if not publicly (which would be the more manly way) then by PM.

Now for the harsh reality of life. If you are worried about having to take someone else's life, while in the armed forces -I'm not even going to mention the legion- then maybe the armed forces isn't for you. There are other ways that you can serve, obviously not in France, such as fireman or as some other first responder. But in the legion, if you, are one of your mates is shot at, then you will be expected to shoot back. During training, you will taught how to kill someone with your weapon, not to wound him, that only happens is the movies.

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Thanks for the reasoned response, Joseph. I don't think I'd have a problem with firing in self-defence, but being sent out to hunt people down, I don't think I could do. And if it's weighing on my mind this much, you're probably right - it might not be for me.

As for Mark, you have a point, and I didn't respond well, although I try not to put people down when they as naive questions in my own fields of expertise, so as far as apologies go, this will have to do.

And Chas - I'm sure we all have our achievements, but there's a glaring irony in your criticizing my way of handling a situation by calling me names. Pots and kettles, Sir.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
but being sent out to hunt people down, I don't think I could do
İ know its a hard thing to do because when we say hunt we always think animal hunt right ?
But in reality some people considered dangerous for homeland we can called them DOE for now.
There had been negotiations with those people to stop their actions that hurts someone else if they not we give warning.
İf they do again we go and hunt them down and according to situation either DOE gets captured to imprison or gets LEAD to fix all problems.
İts all simple as this you are FFL you are ''S-O-L-D-İ-E-R'' and if you get ordered to kill you kill you dont question even it is bad you must do it.
İf you dont it distabilizes yourself to orders and makes you question those and this is a bad thing for yourself as a soldier.
There is no individuality in FFL.
İ know a Turk who refused to kill someone and they made him medic. İf you have similiar abilites you can be medic as well or doctor.
Btw if you become engineer you still kill someone because your mines they are not spitting popcorns and candys around itself.

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
İ know its a hard thing to do because when we say hunt we always think animal hunt right ?
But in reality some people considered dangerous for homeland we can called them DOE for now.
There had been negotiations with those people to stop their actions that hurts someone else if they not we give warning.
İf they do again we go and hunt them down and according to situation either DOE gets captured to imprison or gets LEAD to fix all problems.
İts all simple as this you are FFL you are ''S-O-L-D-İ-E-R'' and if you get ordered to kill you kill you dont question even it is bad you must do it.
İf you dont it distabilizes yourself to orders and makes you question those and this is a bad thing for yourself as a soldier.
There is no individuality in FFL.
İ know a Turk who refused to kill someone and they made him medic. İf you have similiar abilites you can be medic as well or doctor.
Btw if you become engineer you still kill someone because your mines they are not spitting popcorns and candys around itself.
I have this thinking, "if you don't want to get wet, dont go in the rain", there isnt much thinking, you know what is possible to happen,
if you dont like that possibility, just dont join, its simple.