a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JOINING Hello to all

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Hi everyone.

I am on my path to volunteer into the legion. I'm a social person, don't like bulls$itters hate liars and like things done right and efficiently else why bother. I'm in south africa. And cannot wait to get on a plane to France. Some info about me I come from a slightly poor family, father was hardly around and when he was he was drunk and we were getting beatings just incase we thought of doing something wrong haha. I moved around alot during my youth as we moved where there was work. I did not get to finish my normal schooling as I needed to work to help feed the family. Left school at 16 to start working. Been quite active most of my life when I was about 11 or 12 a kickboxing instructor met me I cannot remember the circumstances but he invited me for some free leasons, now my grandfather was a ex légionnaire and was also a fighter, being the man I've admired most in my life and probably the only person I had a really good relationship in my family with we got on very well and saw eye to on most things I jumped at the chance, my new instructor after a few classes invited me to train for free full time saying I had potential and wanted to help me out, by the time I was 17 I was 2 time sa champion in my weight group, it was hard but one of the best times of my life, at 17 I started getting full time jobs and got involved with a girl and ended up not fighting anymore. I did random jobs like sales etc and then I got an opportunity to get into a engineering workshop that specializes in hydraulics and I did that for 7 years. Now being in this wonderful country there is such a thing called B. E. E. Politics crap. But now after working my ass off just to get by and I mean just, often not eating for 2-3 days so the bills get paid, I was sitting without work. Now and then I find some temp jobs as I'm a qualified welder I get odd jobs. When I was about 25 and things were going OK for abit I came to realize that I do not like civil life, it's full of shit no standards bs people everywhere so much greed and hate, politics and fighting social status etc pointless crap. That's when I decided I want to join the légion. I spoke to my grandfather about it and he said he always hoped I would and I must get my ass in gear and go. Now it's been a few years but life has been hard and thrown me some shit. My grandfather recently past away and with my inheritance I will finally have the money to go. So it takes time to get paid out so I cannot give an exact date of my departure. I am currently staying with my brother but I have found somewhere I can stay at a farm just behind a mountain. I have taken the 3 month training program in this forum and some other things of my own that I'm going to add and start getting physical prep going, the mountain has a dirt trail 3kms long going up, so I plan on running this up and down 1s to start with, with 10kg vest. I'm going to live with extra weight better to train with it. Once I've gotten fit enough I will start going up and down 3-4 times so will be 9-12kms up hill and same down hill. Push ups pull ups etc will be part of training and I start next week on learning some French. I would really love any input from serving or ex serving members as any small detail can be an advantage used correctly. If there is anything you suggest I add to my preparation please tell me. I am hoping to be there around December or January. Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hey good luck with everything and wish you the best! Sorry for the rough past but it makes us into the tough men we are today. Stay strong and motivated and hope for the best! Welcome! This is an amazing group of guys.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Hi everyone.

I am on my path to volunteer into the legion. I'm a social person, don't like bullshitters hate liars and like things done right and efficiently else why bother. I'm in south africa. And cannot wait to get on a plane to France. Some info about me I come from a slightly poor family, father was hardly around and when he was he was drunk and we were getting beatings just incase we thought of doing something wrong haha. I moved around alot during my youth as we moved where there was work. I did not get to finish my normal schooling as I needed to work to help feed the family. Left school at 16 to start working. Been quite active most of my life when I was about 11 or 12 a kickboxing instructor met me I cannot remember the circumstances but he invited me for some free leasons, now my grandfather was a ex légionnaire and was also a fighter, being the man I've admired most in my life and probably the only person I had a really good relationship in my family with we got on very well and saw eye to on most things I jumped at the chance, my new instructor after a few classes invited me to train for free full time saying I had potential and wanted to help me out, by the time I was 17 I was 2 time sa champion in my weight group, it was hard but one of the best times of my life, at 17 I started getting full time jobs and got involved with a girl and ended up not fighting anymore. I did random jobs like sales etc and then I got an opportunity to get into a engineering workshop that specializes in hydraulics and I did that for 7 years. Now being in this wonderful country there is such a thing called B. E. E. Politics crap. But now after working my ass off just to get by and I mean just, often not eating for 2-3 days so the bills get paid, I was sitting without work. Now and then I find some temp jobs as I'm a qualified welder I get odd jobs. When I was about 25 and things were going OK for abit I came to realize that I do not like civil life, it's full of shit no standards bs people everywhere so much greed and hate, politics and fighting social status etc pointless crap. That's when I decided I want to join the légion. I spoke to my grandfather about it and he said he always hoped I would and I must get my ass in gear and go. Now it's been a few years but life has been hard and thrown me some shit. My grandfather recently past away and with my inheritance I will finally have the money to go. So it takes time to get paid out so I cannot give an exact date of my departure. I am currently staying with my brother but I have found somewhere I can stay at a farm just behind a mountain. I have taken the 3 month training program in this forum and some other things of my own that I'm going to add and start getting physical prep going, the mountain has a dirt trail 3kms long going up, so I plan on running this up and down 1s to start with, with 10kg vest. I'm going to live with extra weight better to train with it. Once I've gotten fit enough I will start going up and down 3-4 times so will be 9-12kms up hill and same down hill. Push ups pull ups etc will be part of training and I start next week on learning some French. I would really love any input from serving or ex serving members as any small detail can be an advantage used correctly. If there is anything you suggest I add to my preparation please tell me. I am hoping to be there around December or January. Cheers
Howzit boet drop me a pm.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Kick ass brother. If you want a buddy to train alongside you, PM me. I just started really training in earnest.