a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heading over soon

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I wasn’t sure where to put this so I hope it’s in the right spot. I plan on heading to France in the next week or two in order to shoot my shot at joining the Legion. Mostly just looking for last minute tips and to say thank you for all of the information on this forum, it’s helped a lot in my preparation. One thing now that I’m thinking about it, how strict is the Gestapo about documents (high school diploma and the such) because I planned on pretty much only bringing my passport, drivers license, and social security card. Is that enough? I apologize if that’s somewhere else on the forum and I missed it. Anyways, wish me luck. I’ll check back in when I make it through the pipeline. 👍🏻

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
I wasn’t sure where to put this so I hope it’s in the right spot. I plan on heading to France in the next week or two in order to shoot my shot at joining the Legion. Mostly just looking for last minute tips and to say thank you for all of the information on this forum, it’s helped a lot in my preparation. One thing now that I’m thinking about it, how strict is the Gestapo about documents (high school diploma and the such) because I planned on pretty much only bringing my passport, drivers license, and social security card. Is that enough? I apologize if that’s somewhere else on the forum and I missed it. Anyways, wish me luck. I’ll check back in when I make it through the pipeline. 👍🏻
Man, I will use your post as well. I know this might sound repetitive to old members, but things change, so better ask to have surprises...
I currently work with technology, I even did an interview for Interpol (in my area of study/work), and have a lot of online accounts, social media, etc,
have been deleting some useless accounts, services, etc) and I avoid polemic discussion online, or anything questionable about government, police, law, etc...

I planned to go in 2019, and since there, I keep hearing the same thing, ppl talking about the damn Gestapo, dont know what kind
of weird investigation they do, that scares ppl or makes them to talk so much about it, or, its just about avoid trouble with lies, crimes, and other hard stuff?

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Man, I will use your post as well. I know this might sound repetitive to old members, but things change, so better ask to have surprises...
I currently work with technology, I even did an interview for Interpol (in my area of study/work), and have a lot of online accounts, social media, etc,
have been deleting some useless accounts, services, etc) and I avoid polemic discussion online, or anything questionable about government, police, law, etc...

I planned to go in 2019, and since there, I keep hearing the same thing, ppl talking about the damn Gestapo, dont know what kind
of weird investigation they do, that scares ppl or makes them to talk so much about it, or, its just about avoid trouble with lies, crimes, and other hard stuff?
How they know these accounts belong to yours.
Do you use alias that similiar to your real name ?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Your biggest give away is your phone, If you use it to send emails of facebook on it. Do not get a burner only people who have something to hide use them. You can tell the 'gestapo' that you do not want them to look at phone. They will ask why not. They won't insist. What you must remember is that they have no-idea who you are or who they are dealing with. Don't be surprised when you find yourself kicked out because you have tried to keep secrets from them.

First of all you must sanitize your existing phone, i.e. don't get any emails sent to you on it. Secondly you must create a New face book account and be very careful who you give it to. You can keep the old account - just don't use your phone for it. Because everyone has a face book account, even me (Steve Smith)
If you have time, you must buy a second phone which you should use in parallel with the first one. This you should use for ordering pizzas and a few close friends, so that it looks 'used.' Let's face it, you may as well get used to not being with your Iphone 12 (or whatever it is nowadays) until after instruction. Even during instruction you will be given the opportunity to buy one from the foyer, which will be kept in the chef de section's office.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Sorry about that. I got a bit carried away the phone stuff. I wish you all the best. I'm told that there's a pretty good video out there about a checklist or something.
Good luck and I hope that we won't hear from you you (once you leave) until you get your kepi and have your first afternoon out town.
Just don't forget about us.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Well they can look as long as they want.
İ think they will be happy to see what they will find :sneaky:

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
How they know these accounts belong to yours.
Do you use alias that similiar to your real name ?
Even some accounts may be fake (just to gather information), e-mail would be the same.
The question that would trigger problems in my view, is why I do have fake accounts, etc,
so I am planning to avoid these problems, keep it simple, I dont know how deep they could go
to give you 'security clearance', or if I was being just too paranoic

But I am definitely trying to keep things simple.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Not necessary to bring your social security card..simply none of the legions business!..best of luck!

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Even some accounts may be fake (just to gather information), e-mail would be the same.
The question that would trigger problems in my view, is why I do have fake accounts, etc,
so I am planning to avoid these problems, keep it simple, I dont know how deep they could go
to give you 'security clearance', or if I was being just too paranoic

But I am definitely trying to keep things simple.
Keep it simple.. there is nothing worse then ending up in front of the selection committee with a suitcase of documents and trying to babble your way out of it!..best of luck.