a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Head hunting.

IFUGAO

Reaction score
Home Country
Philippine
During WW2 a favourite Gurkha trick was to sneak up to the enemy (Nipponese) at night. They would then check the boots of the sleeping soldiers. If the laces were crossed they knew them to be Nips. They then cut the head from the man in the middle which caused a drop in morale by the others when they found out.

In Malaya a photo of a Cdo Sgt was discovered. He was holding the head of a dead CT. This caused a stink in parliament and in the press. It was simply normal practise to cut the head and hands off for ID back at base. Stupid politicians failed to understand how difficult it is to carry a body back through thick jungle when on patrol. The order was given for the practise to cease forthwith. This was no problem since the Cdo employed Iban and Dayak head hunters as scouts and trackers. Each one wore the Coveted Green Beret, a singlet and carried their fierce long knives. (Like a panga.) The Ibans did the job so no RM could be blamed. When on leave in Kuala Lumpur the Ibans used to have drink with the Cdos and the local populace was so scared of them they got off the pavement (sidewalk) at the mere sight of them.

In Assam in the rainy season the only method of transport was a Tat (local hill pony) or if lucky an old Wyllis jeep. After the monsoon some of us would meet up. My chum went home one night after a few wets. His Gurkha 'Chowkedar' said, Sahib I have killed a dacoit. Asking in the local language he said ; Where ?
The Gurkha replied in the kitchen and dining room. Thinking there had to be 2 dead he went to inspect. The head was in the dining room and the torso in the kitchen.

In the jungle I came across, wild pig, elephant and rhino. They all left for the high ground in the rainy season. Most came from the Kaziranga game reserve. I also saw several leopards and one tiger. They never worried me but snakes scared me shitless. There was one King Cobra in the bamboo bari next to my primitive accommodation.

Our headhunters in Ifugao also did this trick against the colonial Spanish who were keen on conquering the mountain people. Shedding off their loincloths, the warriors would pounce garrisons at night and chop off the head of every man whom they found wearing any clothing. The Spanish learned their lessons and settled content in the lowland Philippines.

Paraca

Reaction score
Home Country
Spain
Our headhunters in Ifugao also did this trick against the colonial Spanish who were keen on conquering the mountain people. Shedding off their loincloths, the warriors would pounce garrisons at night and chop off the head of every man whom they found wearing any clothing. The Spanish learned their lessons and settled content in the lowland Philippines.

Yes yes, but don't forget the Siege of Baler ;) haha.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
You earned it Chas, you wear it proud and work on the honeys as best as you can. Use whatever camouflage you have to use in the hunt

In the Royal Marines we call it 'Trapping'.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Head cutting is also psy warfare. Natives of your island Chas did that long time ago. They use to cut heads of fallen enemies, dip it in lime and than, before next battle throw them at enemy.

Romans were shocked by that practice so psy warfare in this case apparently worked

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Dusaboss,

My last headmaster at College was Alec Peterson OBE. His real names were Alexander, Duncan, Campbell Peterson.

He introduced me and others to Gen. Sir. Gerald Templar who became a Field Marshal. Templar was the only person to have won a war through a 'hearts and minds' campaign. (Malaya) I was in my final year and a Sgt in the CCF.

Alec Peterson was from 1952 until 1955 Director General Information Services Malaya. Also head of the Psi Ops department. Sadly I only had one year with the inspiring man as I was in my final stages. He left the college after a 3 year tenure and went to Oxford University dealing with higher education there.

Both Peterson and Templar advised Harold Wilson not to venture into Viet Nam to assist the US. They stated that the 'Domino Theory' was nonsense and that the US would never win. Both men were prescient.

Last edited: