Goodbye

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not seeking adulation of any sort. My change of profile now sums up my feelings. I suspect an exit will be a probability.
Stick around Chas....I keep saying this but no one sticks around. But you really are a valuable member here. Be sorry to see you go!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
I am not seeking adulation of any sort. My change of profile now sums up my feelings. I suspect an exit will be a probability.
You have got to stay Chas. We are loosing more and more old timers who have a lot to pass on to the new comers. More Majorum, Lest we forget.

I shall retire to the shade for a while due to personal reasons. Nevertheless I shall retain a 'watching brief' and contribute if so inclined.
Thank you for your kind words.

USMCRET

You know, there are many like Finley the Fox that have a romantic view of the military and what it means to be a part of something like the Legion, Royal Marines or United States Marines but their fantasies are crushed with the everyday reality of what it takes. Yes, there are hard ass corporals or sergeants that are there with a ton of experience and the charge of forging that young Legionnaire or Marine into a dependable first rate soldier that can be counted on to perform their best when the bullets, mortars, and rockets start to fly. The disillusion with the Legion from someone whom has less than a year of service is very troubling to me and I still to this day do not understand when a man signs a contract, enlists into any Armed Forces and with less than 6 months decides to go Civil.

Here is the reason those Corporals and Sergeants are so hard on young Legionnaires, COMBAT IS BRUTAL and it takes courage, courage does not mean you have no fear it is quite the opposite, it takes a disciplined person, it takes constant practice, and they are there to mold you into something. Running around Europe with friends being undisciplined just does not conform to a regimented military life. Do any of you aspirants really think when you make it and you earn your Képi and you go on to further training you will be fully formed legionnaires? It is quite the opposite, it takes years to grow into something of worth in the Legion or the Marine Corps. The day in and day out plan of the day is not glamorous, there is PT, someone has to be assigned to guard duty for a month, there is weapons maintenance, there are uniform inspections, you have to keep the barracks clean, and there is so much more.

Yes you have daily formations for accountability and yes you get released at certain time for liberty. You can not just come and go as you wish and do the things you did as a civilian, really just an individual. The Farm and Boot Camp is meant to first break you and then build you up into a BASIC LEGIONNAIRE OR MARINE, BASICALLY TRAINED. It takes years to attain rank, military knowledge acumen, and a firm understanding for what it takes to live the life of a Legionnaire or Marine, not to live a fantasy.

Finally, if you think the corporals or sergeants are bad and they lack in leadership and they are horrible, then when you become a corporal or sergeant you lead and make legionnaires better. You be the person to make the military service of your choice better. Just wait until you are put into a position of authority and you are the Platoon Sergeant and you have a million and one things to take care of, you have to ensure everyone is there and accounted for, you have to make sure your Marine or legionnaires do not look like a bag of ass in their uniform, you have to inspect their barracks room daily to ensure it is in order, you have get you men to medical and dental for their yearly check ups to make sure they are ready and capable to deploy, you just wait until you are the Adjutant, the Major, the Lieutenant-Colonel in charge of a Battalion or Regiment.

Grow the hell up and if you make the decision to join, then you be a man and honor your contract! Honoring the contract does not mean doing just the basics, do the Képi march, and then decide to leave, because if you do leave at this point you are not a legionnaire and you should not claim you are one.

To those serving, who served one or more contracts, to those who joined, made it to a regiment and went civil, and those who joined but failed to reach a regiment, you all have my respect. I have no view on the old Légion vs the new Légion, but I do thank every legionnaire who took the fight to our mutual enemies, in the World Wars, Indochina, Africa, Afghanistan, the Middle East, and other less noted places.
Especially those killed or injured there. For the old breed and new alike, you each have valuable lesson to pass on. Please do so.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
(...) Grow the hell up and if you make the decision to join, then you be a man and honor your contract! Honoring the contract does not mean doing just the basics, do the Kepi March, and then decide to leave, because if you do leave at this point you are not a Legionnaire and you should not claim you are one.
Well said! You don't become fully formed legionnaire by earning your képi. You keep learning all your time in the Legion! And yes If your corporal is a dickhead, take that little shitting, get over and then become a much better Cpl than he was. That's only way to make FFL better place. You can't wait for the General to to correct all things.

What are those mutual enemies :)?
I imagine we can make an educated guess... The ‘Krauts’ during the two world wars, Communism in Indochina (and also partly in Africa), the Jihadists in Africa also, Afghanistan and the Middle East. For the “less noted placesâ€￾, I don't know... :)

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
What to say? Only goodbye to you too guys. Looks like we weren't good enough for you. :(

[video=youtube;0LDArAJf7-c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LDArAJf7-c[/video]

[video=youtube;Uq734_nZ7Eo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq734_nZ7Eo[/video] This one was actually used by the CIA to torture Jihadists prisoners. :)

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
F*ck, I'm sorry! I hope to see you again on the board!
I don't! There's something behind words Honneur et Fidélité (Honour and Fidelity). I tried many times to ask certain Anciens what wrong with us blues and how we can make that better. I never got any answer. So I guess it's not something wrong with us, then maybe something didn't go well in their heads.

So my advice to young guys... Stick with greens who really wish you good. If someone served 5 years in FFL that surely deserves respect, but does not mean that we all have to obey to their wishes and to please them as they like. I'm afraid that this is where this forum is going.

But I also think that thing gonna get better. If you ask where my legitimacy to speak like that. Don't worry, my name will be green very soon! And I will serve 5 and many more years!

Cernunnos

Pro Member
I don't ! There's something behind words Honneur et Fidélité (Honour and Fidelity). I tried many times to ask certain Anciens what's wrong with us blues and how we can make that better. (...)
Unless I'm mistaken the Greens on this board have served their time in the Legion, so I imagine they have fulfilled that part of the Code d’Honneur. From reading past posts I have noticed Blues being very rude to the Greens and they probably have to deal with a lot of PMs asking the same questions, which would annoy anyone.

(...) it does not mean that we all have to obey to their wish, and to please them as they like. I'm afraid that this is where this forum is going. (...)
Can't really comment on how the forum is developing as I haven't been an active poster as long as you. I can comment on the fact that I have seen people ask a question, get an answer from a Green and then try to debate with the Green on their answer.

I think it comes down to dealing with the general public to be honest, look at any customer service assistant at your local super market. After a while the general public can really wear down even the friendliest and most helpful chap.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
(...) From reading past posts I have noticed Blues being very rude to the Greens and they probably have to deal with a lot of PMs asking the same questions, which would annoy anyone. (...)
I have to admit that that was happened many times and I truly judge people who do that, but almost every time “those greensâ€￾ did provoke those kids in first place. BTW there is much of us who really do respect greens. We get over their insults, but they still keep coming on us even more than against those guys who really did insulted them. Are they scared of them or what?

(...) I can comment on the fact that I have seen people ask a question, get an answer from a Green and then try to debate with the Green on their answer. (...)
Really? Can you mark for us post which support your claim?

Cernunnos

Pro Member
(...) Really? Can you mark for us post which support your claim?
I confess that I am quite the novice when it comes to navigating this site and finding specific topics without remembering the title is tricky to say the least, I suppose you should take that statement with a very tiny pinch of salt but I do remember the seeing something of the sort for all that's worth.

On provocation, I suppose it comes down to upbringing as some people just have different ways off communicating. Most of it just comes across as a little banter to me but I know some people take the most peculiar things personally.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
(...) I can comment on the fact that I have seen people ask a question, get an answer from a Green and then try to debate with the Green on their answer. (...)
Really? Can you mark for us post which support your claim?
Does it really matter? If you don't like a green's answer or a red or Blue's for that matter, ignore it. It will be good training for when you join. Because as sure as hell if you start bitching back to a corporal you will not last long. It's along way to go to get kicked out because you thought that you had a point to make.

Dusaboss,
Instead of making another useless post bitching about greens who hurt your feelings or arguing or debating about things why are you not on your way to Aubagne already? I thought last week or the week before you said you were buying your ticket? It seems you are more committed to posting on the board than to changing your life and getting out there and starting your life. In the time you have been on here you have posted more than guys who have been on the board for years and years and dozens of guys from the board have gone and tried, some even making it in. What will it take for you to actually pull the trigger and go?

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Dusaboss,
Instead of making another useless post bitching about greens who hurt your feelings or arguing or debating about things why are you not on your way to Aubagne already? I thought last week or the week before you said you were buying your ticket? It seems you are more committed to posting on the board than to changing your life and getting out there and starting your life. In the time you have been on here you have posted more than guys who have been on the board for years and years and dozens of guys from the board have gone and tried, some even making it in. What will it take for you to actually pull the trigger and go?
So now you see level of my commitment to his forum, :)

(...) Don't worry, my name will be green very soon! And I will serve 5 and many more years!
Humm... You talk the talk, which is one thing, but will you walk the walk? I still haven't understood what you're waiting for before making a trip to France. You want to reach 2,000 posts on the Cervens board before going? If that is the case, be aware that you won't get any medal nor any sort of privilege during selection for this ‘achievement’.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most viewed threads of the week