a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goodbye Gelle

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I'm posting fast from phone. Will add load of info this weekend when I can think.
The legionnaire who killed himself yesterday was my best friend Dany gobbo. Aka gelle.
I'll be posting a memorial and share private pics with everyone of him and I. If one of you says one dumb goddamn thing I demand a ban by the mods. He was my best friend and I was with him everyday until the end at ventilation (dispatch to regiments after basic training).
I love you gelle. RIP my brother and I am so Goddamn sorry I didn't see you more. Be well dear friend.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I am so so sorry for you and your Battalion. I know how it feels, in my Marine Corps Career there were 4 suicides and one in particular was very hard on all of us. It's one thing to be killed in battle, however, when one takes his life the impact on those around him are exponentially worse.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Sorry to hear this sad news. May your fellow legionnaire rest in peace.

PTdM0706

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Very sorry to hear this, may he rest in peace...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawkeye47

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
RIP to him, its never easy to lose someone, you were close to... My condolences.

Cernunnos

Pro Member
Reaction score
Home Country
England
I'm posting fast from phone. Will add load of info this weekend when I can think.
The legionnaire who killed himself yesterday was my best friend Dany gobbo. Aka gelle.
I'll be posting a memorial and share private pics with everyone of him and I. If one of you says one dumb goddamn thing I demand a ban by the mods. He was my best friend and I was with him everyday until the end at ventilation (dispatch to regiments after basic training).
I love you gelle. RIP my brother and I am so Goddamn sorry I didn't see you more. Be well dear friend.

Damn, it might not mean much but I hope you're ok man.
Can't be easy to lose someone so close to you.

rickyN7

Reaction score
Home Country
Belgium
I'm sorry to hear that. My best friend commited suicide 3 years ago... I know how hard it is and you have my condolences, for what they're worth.
Stay strong.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
According the press, the legionnaire was 24 yo, belonged to 2e REG and committed suicide during a Sentinelle patrols in the mountainous region above Nice, along the border with Italy.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hello,

First off this “young legionnaireâ€￾ as Rapace put it has a NAME. His name IS Dany Gobbo, Aka Gelle. He WAS Italian himself and this was his second Vigipirate in the same place. While I was on mine in Marseille he was on his, there. And we had our PLD and after he went right back, again.
Dany and I both strarted at the same time. When I joined in Paris, he had joined in Aubagne. We had met once I arrived there for my finals. Dany and I became friends fast because he spoke really cool English with his Italian accent, which was really cool. We had our final interviews and we both went red. We went to 2 compagnie, 1st section at Castel with Chef Alvez.

Dany and I were in the same room and slept next to each other. Him and I were best friends and suffered everything together.

I know why Dany joined the legion, but I am keeping that just for myself. As well as Florida Medic (American) and my personal friend from USA, who is fed up with this site and won't be back, ever. Florida medic was Dany's Cpl at 2REG. And he and I would hang out on weekends at the apartment in Avignon, with Dany. Florida medic, myself and Ranger Rick another member who isn't coming back, because of the know it all on here, we all knew Dany well and close and we lost him as our brother.
I am sharing this with you because it is my last post and I don't know if I will want to come back for a while, simply because the board really thinks they know it all, or how they want the Legion to be, ANYWAY, this is for Dany and to preserve his memory.
This is for my friend and brother in arms.
I am going to leave the board for a while and leave you private pictures of myself and Dany. I am choosing our ventilation pictures full of smiles, with Dany. To my dear best friend and brother Dany Goddo. Thank you Dany for all the dreams you shared with me. For all the Candy bars we stole and ate in Castel. For starving at the farm together. For the small moments we shared in private on guard all night. Lastly, thank you for being my brother from start to finish Dany.
I love you brother Dany Gobbo. RIP. Goodbye.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Very sorry for your loss of your buddy and for his other comrades in arms and for the Legion's loss.
I got your PM. Hang in there, take a bit of time out and then let us know what you want to do.

Sarajevo1992

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Netherlands
DCLXVI,

sorry for your loss, must have been devestating when you heard the news.

take care of yourself