a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QUESTION Good responses to question of why you wanted to join the legion?

legion

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
My reason for joining is wanting to be guaranteed that I can serve in a foreign place outside of the US. Also I want to challenge myself mentally and physically. I am worried these answers sound fairly cliche' and I can see the recruiters as scrutinizing these responses. What other responses have others given as to why they want to join?

Bonus: Regarding the why I did not join the United States military I have no good response to that one.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I'm more concerned about the bonus. That is the question that will arise and may stump you. Please don't give your answer here on an open forum. Just remember that the recruiters will have in the backs of their minds that if the legion is not what you like (based on Aubagne and Castel) you can always ask to leave and join the US army.

legion

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I'm more concerned about the bonus. That is the question that will arise and may stump you. Please don't give you answer here on an open forum. Just remember that the recruiters will have in the backs of their minds that if the legion is not what you like (based on Aubagne and Castel) you can always ask to leave and join the US army.
I understand not wanting to place this in the forum. Perhaps a better question is what sort of motivations are the FFL recruiters looking for and what are bad motivations; could you shed light on any of the following?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Perhaps you should begin by introducing yourself. You joined in 2009 and only decided to participate when you are nearing the date that you are going to leave, with a question.

legion

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Perhaps you should begin by introducing yourself. You joined in 2009 and only decided to participate when you are nearing the date that you are going to leave, with a question.
Sure. I joined back in 2009 after not really wanting to know what I wanted to do with my life. I decided the expense was to great to travel so I just went to college. I have been working in office environments for the last 5-6 years and I am bored. I decided to revisit the idea of trying to join. Here I am . I am not sure when this site opened for business but I feel like I must be an earlier adopter. I watched a video on your youtube channel yesterday and it gave me some perspective on what sort of motivation questions there is and here I am. I do not have a date to leave. I am not even certain it is what I am going to do. I am seriously flirting with the idea but not certain. This is why I am probably posting for the first time in this many years.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
As LPC says welcome back. Although time is NOT on your side (or rather age).

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Is 37 not a bit too old for any Army? I know people over 40 who are very fit but at that age working with 20 year olds? not sure what the average age is but i would guess about 20-25.
It is old, and apart from his earlier years, Legion has been leading a sedate lifestyle. Gym fitness is not the same as Legion fitness.

maim

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
and he doesn't have any military experience, and he doesn't know if he wants to and he's American, you don't have to have a PhD in nuclear fusion to work out the unanimous decision of the conseil. Mate, you don't stand a chance.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
LPC,

En passant as a very occasional visitor my comment and analogy ; Flirting young ladies become PTs' Prick Teasers but never go the whole way.

Soldiering is a younger man's vocation. Nevertheless keep dreaming and having aspirations but in a different area of activity.

I sincerely wish you well in all your endeavours whatever the outcome.

Chas- 83 next b/day if I make it.

maim

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
For those a little older with dreams of signing up.
The oldest guy in my time at Castel, and the oldest recruit I have heard of, was 46.
An Italian guy, a baker, who had gotten divorced and decided, "f" it.
He did however have 2 distinct advantages.
1. He was as fit as a butchers dog.
&
2. He had previously done 5 years after basic training at Sidi bel Abes.
It just goes to show you that whatever you do in your life, you may benefit from later.
We went through 4 months at castel, he finished around middle grade wise and if memory serves me well got a position in the Foyer du Legionnaire in Mayotte!
All round good guy and lucky b'stard!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Anyone care to share regarding my original question for this forum.
Why don't you re-start by introducing yourself, which will erase any ambiguity over whether you have any military service or not. From there we can answer all your questions.

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
It is old, and apart from his earlier years, Legion has been leading a sedate lifestyle. Gym fitness is not the same as Legion fitness.
Ok, lets get this straight, the requirement is being under 39, but you said 37 is already fuc**d up
I just turned 31, how bad is it (probability to be denied by age) ? Practicing sports (such as martial arts, swim, dive, run) would be
relevant or considered as just gym condition?

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Sure. I joined back in 2009 after not really wanting to know what I wanted to do with my life. I decided the expense was to great to travel so I just went to college. I have been working in office environments for the last 5-6 years and I am bored. I decided to revisit the idea of trying to join. Here I am . I am not sure when this site opened for business but I feel like I must be an earlier adopter. I watched a video on your youtube channel yesterday and it gave me some perspective on what sort of motivation questions there is and here I am. I do not have a date to leave. I am not even certain it is what I am going to do. I am seriously flirting with the idea but not certain. This is why I am probably posting for the first time in this many years.
I could fully understand your desire to join at your age if their was a tiny hint of motivation, unfortunately flirting with the legion is not the best place to flirt as a long way to go for a hair cut in my opinion you have answered your own uncertainties as to be honest I don’t think you have a 10% chance, as how many 39 year old Yanks are going to turn up but yourself they may use your posts as part of your interview 😂