a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General questions about joining the FFL

rob138

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
First of all, let me introduce my self: I'm a 25 year old Brazilian, I've been a private in the army here and I'm currently graduating as an officer in the merchant navy. I'm looking to join the FFL in 2018, after I finish my sea time. I have some really frequently asked basic questions, but i couldn't find any updated answers for them in the forum:

A) the salary:in the FFL recruitment site it says "1,280 € per month (excluding health insurance fees)" but this information is from 2013, it's still the same nowadays?

B) the language: do you guys think that is a big advantage to learn French before trying, it will increase my chances of getting in?

C) how is the daily life in the FFL? Do you guys have to sleep every day in the barracks, or on weekends you can do whatever you want if you're not on duty?

D) There is any specific month that the chances are higher for getting in?

Sorry for the English and thanks in advance

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Rob,

I see you're a new member, so, please, before firing off questions, take some time to browse/search through the forums to get more acquainted with the Legion. Daily life in the Legion in particular has been discussed in several threads in the past. Basically, do not expect any sort of ‘glory’... To put it bluntly, Legion life, like in any military, is 90% boredom and routine tasks, 9% ‘fun’ and 1% terror (if/when you're deployed to places where ‘bad guys’ are shooting at you). Learning French is not a requirement, but it's an advantage. Most important, if you join without speaking French, is that you'll have to learn quickly. The good thing is that being from Brazil, you must be a Portuguese speaker and learning French, another Roman language, should be easier for than for a Thai or Chinese EV... :)

rob138

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
I'll look for some more info about it, thanks. I'm trying to learn at least the basic of French, but as I'm living in a ship for this entire year with limited internet connection, it's kind of difficult. Not expecting any glory in the Legion, just a chance to start over really. I like the military life as ungrateful as it can be sometimes. About the salary though, do you know if it still that, no corrections over the years? Not complaining, mind you, I just wanna know what to expect if i manage to get in.

mammikoura

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
(...) I'm trying to learn at least the basic of French, but as I'm living in a ship for this entire year with limited internet connection, it's kind of difficult. (...)
I'm baffled. I really am. Do you not think there is a way to study a language without the internet? What on earth has humanity devolved to...

rob138

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
I'm baffled. I really am. Do you not think there is a way to study a language without the internet? What on earth has humanity devolved to...
Well, I have no one to teach me, and lack of material.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Mammikoura if in 50 years internet suddenly stop to exist existence of humanity will be threatened. Not many will know how start fire or to cook meal without help of internet :). I'm joking, but it's something to think about. We use to storage information in books, homes and are heads much more than we do now. There is no need for that thing now which can be bad.

rob138

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
So people here don't really talk about the salary hu...

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
At times they do, but you will have to use the search function to search for older post. Try it, you will find a lot of answers to other questions you may have.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Sorry Mammikoura, but what did people do, when there was no internet ? They used books. Old books like the ones I used at school in Canada.

If you really want to join the Legion, the salary has no importance, you receive food, clothing, lodging, and much better than the rest: a new life. Why would you want money on top of this?!

C

cujo6688

Unregistered
Sorry mammikoura, but what did people when there was no internet ? They used books. Old books like the ones I used at school in Canada

If you really want to join the Legion, the salary has no importance, you receive food, clothing, lodging, and much better than the rest: a new life. Why would you want money on top of this?!

I was thinking exact same thing I will get food,clothin,lodging and a new life the money is just a bonus for me :) but I get a family that's the best part of it Legio Patria Nostra

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
The base salary may have increased a bit since 2013 from the 1,280 € per month mentioned, but don't expect any sort of ‘miracle’, the order of magnitude remains correct. Don't forget this is the base salary, excluding premiums (either regular ones, like pay jump if you're in the 2e REP, or temporary ones when you're on short term deployment). Also remember that up to and including the rank or corporal, you'll be fully accommodated (housing and food) for free.
Having said that, Legion life is quite demanding... Don't join only for the money. I'm pretty sure you can find a better paid job, with less constraints in Brazil.

FloridaABN

Reaction score
Home Country
United States

Watch the movie "Idiocracy". This will answer all your questions about human devolution...;)

mammikoura

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
Watch the movie "Idiocracy". This will answer all your questions about human devolution...;)
Ohh yes I've seen it. It wasn't a particularly good movie but I really liked the idea of it.

(...) what did people do, when there was no internet ? They used books. Old books like the ones I used at school in Canada. (...)
Exactly. And those books haven't disappeared anywhere, you can still walk to pretty much ANY book store and you'll find a “French for beginnersâ€￾ there. People used books for thousands of years to study... yet it looks like some people only needed a decade of the internet to forget that you actually have books. :D