a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forum members who posted here and passed selection

Tittos

Reaction score
Home Country
Israel
Good evening comrades,
I just have a question to the old forum members who have been posting here for years. We can see that the history repeats itself and many guys who post ed here didn't pass the selection. Are there cases of members who succeeded (I know in generally it's an hard process)?

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Sure there are. Ricky Hymalayan, a1b2c3 also, notatexan, DCLXVI, Mammikoura, to name those who come to my mind, but there are more. Some are still currently serving, others did they 5 years and left and others left before the first five years (some way or another...). I don't have in mind a member of the forum who did more than the first 5-year contract. If there are any, let them shout... :)

Tittos

Reaction score
Home Country
Israel
Hi Rapace ,
It's nice to know that , i'm not following the forum basic , and that's good news. I read some old worried threads of guys who founded as a fake that eventually let us deceived by fake information (don't know what was exactly about and it's not my business).

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Tittos you got have in mind that there is a lot members who wrote message or two, get accepted and we never hear from them again.

There is probably those who write that they tried (even if they didn't) because of climate in the forum.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Tittos you got have in mind that there is a lot members who wrote message or two, get accepted and we never hear from them again.

There is probably those who write that they tried (even if they didn't) because of climate in the forum.
Dusaboss,
Yes, I have come back for a while! When are you going? Do tell us. Also what climate in the forum are you alluding to?

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Hi Rapace ,
It's nice to know that , i'm not following the forum basic , and that's good news. I read some old worried threads of guys who founded as a fake that eventually let us deceived by fake information (don't know what was exactly about and it's not my business).
Well... You have all kind of people in this forum, like you have all kind of people in the Legion. The verified current or ex-legionnaires, those who join without ever posting (just lurking), day dreamers who post without ever joining (;) Dusaboss), those who tried and failed but are still members, those who have no intention (or not the possibility) to join but are just interested in the Legion, veterans from other armies, pretenders who said there are/were legionnaires while it's only in their dreams, etc. I'm probably missing one category or two.

(...) Also what climate in the forum are you alluding to?
+1 :D

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Dusaboss,
Yes, I have come back for a while! When are you going? Do tell us. Also what climate in the forum are you alluding to?
First glad. to have you back Chas-man. I think you know pretty well about what climate I'm talking about. When am I going? Hmm... I think I get asked that question more often than "What time is it.". I don't know. Maybe soon, maybe never.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Dusaboss,
I expect to be cremated by the time you actually join! I shall be in good company in the RM commandos memorial garden fertilising the roses. (Eastney). Maybe I should arise from down below and haunt you ? With my record I shall not ascend into the heavens.

Chas. RM, 99% need not apply, Colonial Police and Queen's Regiment HSF.

Sarajevo1992

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Netherlands
Sure there are. Ricky Hymalayan, a1b2c3 also, notatexan, DCLXVI, Mammikoura, to name those who come to my mind, but there are more. Some are still currently serving, others did they 5 years and left and others left before the first five years (some way or another...). I don't have in mind a member of the forum who did more than the first 5-year contract. If there are any, let them shout... :)
and Nemuksis

Tittos

Reaction score
Home Country
Israel
Well... You have all kind of people in this forum, like you have all kind of people in the Legion. The verified current or ex-legionnaires, those who join without ever posting (just lurking), day dreamers who post without ever joining (;) Dusaboss), those who tried and failed but are still members, those who have no intention (or not the possibility) to join but are just interested in the Legion, veterans from other armies, pretenders who said there are/were legionnaires while it's only in their dreams, etc. I'm probably missing one category or two. (...)
I assume that everything that you'll been told in Aubagne you need to take it in a limited liability.

I don't figure out what you're trying to say man, but anyway , think about it , the forum is contained thousands of guests and members more then a decade . How many guys who hit Aubagne applied the wrong advice from people who never grabed a weapon , and destroyed their only second chance .

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Tittos, I think I understand what you are getting at. If I've got it right, you are worried that some people who have never served in the military are giving the wrong advice. Well let's start by saying that advice can be taken both ways, you take it or you don't. A lot of the questions have been asked before, and I'm guilty of telling people if they are not sure to ask again. It can be a bit tiring to read a list longer than my missus' shopping list of questions that have been asked and answered numerous times.
"Should I tell them that I was in jail?"
"Should I tell them that I am still married?"
The list can be quite long. The blues non military are entitled to their opinion as the question is being asked on a forum. The answer in the end is what the candidate himself decides to give. For specific questions such as (an easy example) how long is your first contract? Most anyone who has been on the forum for a while can answer that, and the Mods and Greens are there in case it's not right.

What has to be pointed out is that there are different interviewers with different opinions of who will make it through basic training and do their 5 years. There are certain questions which are obligatory such as are you wanted by the police? Or have you ever taken drugs? For the latter (the drugs) it's up to you to tell them if you have or not. There are people on this forum who may say that they confessed to using cannabis on a regular bases and they got through. But as I've said that was with one interviewer, with another one he may consider using drugs as a reason to reject you.

When they have been through the obligatory questions they have to ask their own questions depending on each individual. So when someone from the US says I was asked such and such a question and gave such and such an answer, the answer may not be taken the same way as someone from say Turkey. The interviews with the “Gestapo” are one thing and apart from the obvious such as medical and psy there are other factors which can get you turned away. Each time you are sent on chores you will be watched. This does not mean that the person you are working for will note you. But if you've got a bad attitude or not working as you should, it only takes a word to the caporal or caporal-chef.

I know this because I would prick up the EVs in the mornings to work in the museum. When I would take them back I would be asked if I had any problems with any of them. However, I was on my way out and had no intention of ruining someone's career before it had started.

Tittos

Reaction score
Home Country
Israel
Hey Joseph ,
Well i was curious about the thread mentioned about the title , and i think that that its kinda disturbed. Also I can say that nothing is directed to people like you - your advice seems to be kinda reliable. everyone is doing their own decision making. But as you know there is difference between wrong advice and a false information. But everyone deserve their own respect.
Off course i know that there is the necessary to blur your identity by not give the accurate details about yourself.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
(...) I don't figure out what you're trying to say man, but anyway , think about it , the forum is contained thousands of guests and members more then a decade . How many guys who hit Aubagne applied the wrong advice from people who never grabed a weapon , and destroyed their only second chance .
I don't know about anyone who was rejected because of wrong advice from this forum. Joseph pretty much answered your question.

And you have totally wrong impression that many members did not get selected. Usually rejected are those who had some condition, medical or other, which will automatically disqualify them. Other rejected are those who are not serious about joining in a first place, or those who asked for civil by themselves. If you take away those groups majority of forum members do get selected (of course, if they try at all ).

After all you are free to accept or reject anyone's advice from here. If your criteria for truthfulness of information would be whether or not person giving it to you grabbed or didn't grabbed a weapon... fine.

Tittos

Reaction score
Home Country
Israel
Well don't get me wrong dusan , i didn't mean your advice in generally in the are bad advice . In my mind the forum is a great source of information. I post this thread only out of curiosity , nothing was with bad posture pal. Nothing was pointed out toward people who never joined army or you personally man. I'll add you example of what such of 'criteria' of guys i mean.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Well don't get me wrong dusan , i didn't mean your advice in generally in the are bad advice . In my mind the forum is a great source of information. I post this thread only out of curiosity , nothing was with bad posture pal. Nothing was pointed out toward people who never joined army or you personally man. I'll add you example of what such of 'criteria' of guys i mean.
It's OK man. I just get little bit sensitive when talk goes in direction towards guys who giving informations about FFL and they never even tried to join because I'm among those who talk most and don't have nothing to support words. (in a way of direct experience with FFL).
Anyway, I hate when some people here see me as some kind of "Stolen Valor" equivalent. Because I never said nothing that I did about FFL or army what isn't true. And I even didn't lie about anything here about my life. I despise those kind of men (lot of them have some kind of mental disease) and really hurts me when some people here try to portrait me as something similar to those guys.
At least you spelled my name correctly despite my mistake while making nickname on forum. :)

One more forum member is rejected today.

Tittos

Reaction score
Home Country
Israel
Well you never said anything wrong from reading the forum before , you didn't anything wrong and there is nothing wrong to post and donate to the the forum everyone have the right to speech (at least before the military life).
I don't want to be one of those who nudge you to go france and i'm think that we almost in the same boat , but i just say

"a journey of thousend kilometers start with one step".

Etoiles_mortant

Pro Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Greece
The only thing we are 100% sure of, is that Krav Maga does not help during selection. In a more serious note, its easy to distinguish between "safe" comments and "questionable" ones, as the current and ex Legionnaires have their forum name written in green.

That said, everyone should keep in the back of their minds that we do not really know what is important during selection. We can only make educated guesses; for example we believe that they do not like guys with families, whereas in reality a wannabe saying "I am divorced, my ex is a bitch, I am not allowed to see my son, I just want to earn money to secure his future education" MIGHT be the best candidate in their eyes. Similarly, a Green stating "I said X and they let me through" also has to be taken with a grain of salt; the Gestapo officer might not heard it / misunderstood, the candidate might got selected from the committee despite the comment or the week might have been so slow, they were forced to accept said Green.

What is important is to have an honest and realistic reason for wanting joining. You can try and tweak the circumstances a tiny bit, but you can't fool them. And more importantly, you can't fool yourself: if you pretend to be something you are not, you will probably hate your time there and start thinking about alternatives.