a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forgive me, I have a question about eyesight.

Reaction score
Home Country
Vietnam
I am so sorry to bother you. I have a question about eyesight,however.
My right eye's vision is 10/10 but my left eye's only 1/10, about -3.5 diope.
I don't have to wear glasses at all but I know this might prevent me from joining the FFL.
My question is should I try signing up with this current situation with my left eye or should I just give up and save everyone's time and money? This is I can only afford one chance to go to France.
I had messaged Chval before but I don't think he's still active on the forum. I'd be really grateful if someone can help.

rashisan

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Hello LeeHong,
1/10 for the left eye is not good even you see well with your right one because the French military standards do not allow to be a soldier with such eye sight. So can you explain if you can read at least big letters with your left eye or...?

Reaction score
Home Country
Vietnam
Well I guess that is it for me. I'm right handed by the way but it doesn't matter any more. My left eye can only read letters if I stand really close to them. Say I can't read those huge neon signs on the street with my left eye. Everything is blurred.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
This info was included in attachment of e-mail sent by recruiting office of FFL. I
dont`t understand what those other numbers mean but there is mentioned
correction in dioptres of -10, sounds bit heavy to me.

2 – Medical aptitude:

Minimum visual acuity:

* uncorrected: minimum 0,5 for each eye

* corrected: or [7/10 and 2/10], or [6/10 and 3/10] or [5/10 and 4/10] (total: 9/10
with the two eyes)

Correction in dioptres:

* near-sighted: -10

* far-sighted: +8

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
This info was included in attachment of e-mail sent by recruiting office of FFL. I
dont`t understand what those other numbers mean but there is mentioned
correction in dioptres of -10, sounds bit heavy to me.

2 – Medical aptitude:

Minimum visual acuity:

* uncorrected: minimum 0,5 for each eye

* corrected: or [7/10 and 2/10], or [6/10 and 3/10] or [5/10 and 4/10] (total: 9/10
with the two eyes)

Correction in dioptres:

* near-sighted: -10

* far-sighted: +8

FAO: Morris 10

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Go for it and if accepted, great
If refused, it's not the end of the world
You have a very good trade, welder
Why are you stil home less ?
If the Legion refusés you
What are you going to do?
Do not put all your wants in the same basket
Try and always have options

Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
Caporal if i don't get accepted, I'll go back to my welding job, work harder and return 6 months later to aubagne. As I mentioned earlier I don't give up at all no matter what

Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt
Are you eligible to perform LASIK surgery on your left eye? up to -8 diopters you can join the legion. There is y-1 y-2 y-3 y-4 and y-5. y-1 is minus 1 y-2 is minus 2 y-3 is minus 3 (minimum for REP) y-4 anything more than that up until -9 as far as I remember you need a minimum of y-4 to be able to join the legion. Before doing LASIK I was y-4 so I could barely make it in but would never be eligible for REP. I decided to do LASIK and wait 1 year before going. Now I am either 6/6 both eyes or y-1 at the worst case which if accepted will allow me to get in REP provided I am fit and motivated enough. Understand the vision standards in the French army and consult your DR to see whether your left eye is eligible to be operated on or not. Good luck, cz if your eye cannot be operated on then you cannot join. I wasn't able to perform the surgery until a month ago still I did the pentacam, to see if my eyes are eligible for surgery or not, one year ago in order not to waste any time.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
It's common knowledge that everyone want's the REP before joining and while in Aubagne. At the end of training, it's a different story. If you have got your heart set on joining the REP, OK make sure that you have all the is required. Just keep in mind that there are other regiments just as good to choose from.
:LOL:

Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt
Actually, Joe, anywhere in the French army is fine with me as long as it is military and with a uniform, I'll love it and do my best even if it's cleaning toilets. :ROFLMAO: Just getting accepted and passing training will be by all means the greatest I'll have ever done and will be proud of it if it ever happens.
Thing is, this waiting game, is really hard. I mean for one year you have to keep on training, practising French, getting smarter and getting better. You gotta keep yourself motivated all the time like the selection is tomorrow in order for you not to wear out.

Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt
I know that Joe, I was talking about the year I have to wait here now that I have done my LASIK surgery. Can't go until 1 year has passed after surgery.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I am so sorry to bother you. I have a question about eyesight,however.
My right eye's vision is 10/10 but my left eye's only 1/10, about -3.5 diope.
I don't have to wear glasses at all but I know this might prevent me from joining the FFL.
My question is should I try signing up with this current situation with my left eye or should I just give up and save everyone's time and money? This is I can only afford one chance to go to France.
I had messaged Chval before but I don't think he's still active on the forum. I'd be really grateful if someone can help.
DOES NOT MATTER, wear your glasses and take the test. Pass the test or fail That is all.