a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flying out today

Reaction score
Home Country
Zimbabwe
Perhaps your right. I did not mean to be insulting. I’m in Italy and I am headed to Rome. To those who want to join the legion my advice is to do it now.

Really? you are giving advice now? to join? lol please. Let me guess, Priesthood is it?.

Reaction score
Home Country
Zimbabwe
Back to my stated mantra.

" To join the Foreign Legion, you need the Want Factor " backed by sound reasoning.

As a wiry little squirt, I wanted to become a commando or para. After over two years in the RM ranks I was offered a commission in the paras after having passed selection. However I obtained 4th and last vacancy for the RM. I suspect the para offer swung in my favour. Une guerre des boutons. Other RM officer cadets went to the Army but not Paras.

After commando service, I considered the FFL, since I was footloose and fancy free. However I was given the choice of a commission with the Australian Army or the Colonial Police. I chose the latter.

My interest in the FFL stemmed from my various commando friends who during Operation Musketeer stated that the Foreign Legion were the most battle hardened troops in the world. Some even rode on Legion tanks and Nick Vaux a later Major General RM was attached.

Later I volunteered again as a local Captain Mainwaring.

RMV202910- Mne- 20/06/1956.
Chaz you would know a retired ex monkey Col. by the name of Scriven would you?.

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
When are you off Fab? you still going in yes?.

Yes Brian, absolutely! I am working relentlessly on my physical form and in particular on my upper body strength. The plan is to go to Aubagne before the end of the year, I wouldn’t mind going even right after Xmas or on New Year’s Eve. Apparently in 2022 the recruit intake will be downsized.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Yes Brian, absolutely! I am working relentlessly on my physical form and in particular on my upper body strength. The plan is to go to Aubagne before the end of the year, I wouldn’t mind going even right after Xmas or on New Year’s Eve. Apparently in 2022 the recruit intake will be downsized.
I've also been following that as well I guess enough recruits came through even with COVID going on. Going in December may be back on the table for me as well man.

Reaction score
Home Country
Zimbabwe
Great to hear mate. Keep us posted.

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hope you don't do a G on us FdG lol.

There's a lot of wrinkly old flesh and blood soaked Tevas banked on you here. You're our boy. We need a result for all this effort (as LPC pointed out recently).

Don't make us hire Jason Statham and a Lear jet with an aromatic ointment oil tracker to hunt you down FFS. We've all got better things to do.

You'd make a decent field medic IMHO given the chemist background. HAWKEYE !

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I've also been following that as well I guess enough recruits came through even with COVID going on. Going in December may be back on the table for me as well man.
Unless there is an official reduction in the numbers, you have nothing to worry about. The legion turns on a 5 year cycle, for everyone who makes to his regiment, in 5 years time he will need to be replaced. So for all those who joined in December of 2016, they will need to have their spot filled. For those who reengage there will be others who are retiring of have deserted.

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
Hope you don't do a G on us FdG lol.

There's a lot of wrinkly old flesh and blood soaked Tevas banked on you here. You're our boy. We need a result for all this effort (as LPC pointed out recently).

Don't make us hire Jason Statham and a Lear jet with an aromatic ointment oil tracker to hunt you down FFS. We've all got better things to do.

You'd make a decent field medic IMHO given the chemist background. HAWKEYE !

Hehe Kron I hope I won't disappoint! Showing up at the gate is not the problem, you guys can count I'll do it. The trick will be to convince the recruiters that I am Legion material! In any case thanks for the support mate, it means a lot.

BTW, on a different note... Am I the only one that wonders how the heck does the orthodox aromatic oil smell? I imagine something super pungent like a thousand incense burning in a small room with a note of cheap deodorant and flowers. I wonder why! And also, what is the difference between orthodox and roman catholic anointment oils?! G if you're here knock on the wall thrice!

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
the orthodox aromatic oil smell

It's got Frankincense and Myrrh in it - whatever they smell like ?

It's what 2 of the 3 Wise Men who followed the Star of Bethlehem gave to the little baby Jesus according to historical propaganda on the subject.

"Frankincense and myrrh are both resins extracted from trees in the Burseraceae family, also known as the torchwood or incense family. Frankincense comes from the dried sap of Boswellia trees, while myrrh comes from the lifeblood of the Commiphora "

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Showing up at the gate is not the problem, you guys can count I'll do it.
Remember - it can get f@cking cold down there in Winter on a bad day.

You'll be playing silly buggers on jolly jaunts near and in the Pyrenees (and scaling the high walls around Carcassonne if you're lucky).

Get your body acclimatised to cold if you can find time. It's all in the head.

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hehe Kron I hope I won't disappoint! Showing up at the gate is not the problem, you guys can count I'll do it. The trick will be to convince the recruiters that I am Legion material! In any case thanks for the support mate, it means a lot.

BTW, on a different note... Am I the only one that wonders how the heck does the orthodox aromatic oil smell? I imagine something super pungent like a thousand incense burning in a small room with a note of cheap deodorant and flowers. I wonder why! And also, what is the difference between orthodox and roman catholic anointment oils?! G if you're here knock on the wall thrice!
And never forget - the early days in the Legion are all about getting your head screwed on properly. Make sure you are prepared mentally to be humble for a few months at least. When you get to your regiment you can come out of that shell.

Only the "weak of spirit" don't make it in Castel. As Chas says - you need to "want it".

Another thing - You need to understand that nothing lasts forever in the Legion as it does in Civvy St.

2 or 3 hours corvee punishment (as dismal or unjustified as it seems at the time) is over and finished with after that. Turn the page. You don't have to start the job again in the morning as you would in civilian life because there are always others on the rosta.

Create shit - do shit. It's Instant Karma.

Even if you f@ck up big time, quite often your CO will only put it in pencil in your Carnet de Service and rub it out later if you behave yourself. It's a forgiving environment and it understands troubled and adventurous guys (for the most part).

Keep your head down, do your shit - and have fun. You'll discover a new FdG - (that you will very rarely talk about in public when you get out incidentally).

It's a great privilege to have done something that others couldn't (even) dream of doing and have it all stacked up in the back of your head like a “paquet-cadeau” if and when you decide to bring it out.

Last edited:

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
In real terms as it recruits from the every corner of the earth, serving in the Legion regardless of Regiment or Rank achieved it is one of the most exclusive clubs in the world to have been in!
Best of luck whatever the outcome, you can only try I witnessed in my eyes half decent guys get rejected in my 13 week stint prior to turning red, and some right oddballs make it, it’s in my view what makes the Legion so unique no one knows the secret it’s one thing I would not bet my wages on as so unpredictable!
Go take you chance and let the roulette wheel spin you will be hoping it’s Red not Black!

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
In real terms as it recruits from the every corner of the earth, serving in the Legion regardless of Regiment or Rank achieved it is one of the most exclusive clubs in the world to have been in!
Best of luck whatever the outcome, you can only try I witnessed in my eyes half decent guys get rejected in my 13 week stint prior to turning red, and some right oddballs make it, it’s in my view what makes the Legion so unique no one knows the secret it’s one thing I would not bet my wages on as so unpredictable!
Go take you chance and let the roulette wheel spin you will be hoping it’s Red not Black!

Thanks Pap and indeed it seems to me also a very unpredictable outcome in general and this might well be a good thing because it makes sure you don't present yourself at the gates cocky or too optimistic but rather hungry to prove you can make the cut.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Pap and indeed it seems to me also a very unpredictable outcome in general and this might well be a good thing because it makes sure you don't present yourself at the gates cocky or too optimistic but rather hungry to prove you can make the cut.
It also gives guys a get out clause, not aimed at you buddy but I have witnessed some guys within 2 hrs haircut and station, so a wannabe can bluff two hrs and everyone things what a fine chap he gave it a go! Even if he had a skinhead in Turkey for example and just gleamed the form for information of the process but to be honest I don’t really care as that type is not Civi material let alone Legion 😀 well let us no how it goes be good to not hear from you for 4-6 weeks or better 5 months aim high keep 10% of your maximum in the bank for a rainy day that’s how you get the chocolate medals as if you use it wisely it will benefit you for other roles or courses, my advise try for the REP but I’m biased.😀
P.