a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flying out today

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
They do not breed the likes of me anymore
Hahaha - c'est vrai?

PUTAIN !!! Last of the dinosaurs...

Leave your skin in a box when you die FFS. In 50 years they'll be able to clone DNA so successfully there will be thousands of LPCs flicking ash around and leaving empty lager cans everywhere to pick up the family tradition. Don't let the past die.

It's your destiny boy. Look after it.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Could the medaillon of the Ste Vierge be your participation to St Michel ?
If so, well done ! Although it wasn't the virgin Mary but a medaillion of St Michel that was handed to the paras...
Wow ! Easy Joe, boy. I nearly spoiled it there. You nearly got me there LPC, that was too damn close. I suppose that I was distracted by the 'H' beer.

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Could the medaillon of the Ste Vierge be your participation to St Michel ?
If so, well done ! Although it wasn't the virgin Mary but a medaillion of St Michel that was handed to the paras...
Wow ! Easy Joe, boy. I nearly spoiled it there. You nearly got me there LPC, that was too damn close. I suppose that I was distracted by the 'H' beer.

Yeah well that's the issue with beer goggles.

Sometimes you just can't tell the difference between a boy and a girl if they're both wearing a frock.

Been fooled a few times myself in the Bois de Bolougne - not that it mattered much. Could have been a chimpanzee and I wouldn't have noticed (or cared).

Beer goggles - the great equaliser for mankind.

Reaction score
Home Country
India
It's all whispers unfortunately because once they go over the Event Horizon through those gates, the void of the Legion's black hole takes over. Radio silence.
One of my favourite movies. Films of that quality are hard to come by, nowadays.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
It's all whispers unfortunately because once they go over the Event Horizon through those gates, the void of the Legion's black hole takes over. Radio silence.

It was designed to be like that with no external comms for 5-6 months between selection in Aubagne and their regiment.

By the time they do get those privileges they have been through the wringer and they are different men with different priorities.

I agree though, it would be nice to see a prodigy who passed through here show his face in tenue. I seem to remember a few showed up on the old forum - but that was a mad house (and even then you weren't sure if it was true or BS).
It was the same with us in the USMC. Upon arriving there were Phones on the wall with a scrippt next to the phone:

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hi Dad! having fun. Love, your son. Can't talk now I've got two drill Sgts breathing down my neck.
I remember that call well all the way back to 9 January 1989

And Joe, those weren't even the monsters, they were on a break from running platoons and were the receiving DIs. They get you fully up to speed with medical, dental, more testing, and gear issue. Then you drop on a Thursday into your real platoon and DIs, the call was childs play.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
When I joined all civvy clothes parcelled up and sent home. Issued ill fitting denims with buttons to clip on. Then straight to the barber's shop for nearly a 'Boule a Zero'. Then a meal and finally our Nissen hut accommodation. 12 double bunks with lockers. Heads at one end immaculate. In the centre of the hut was a pot bellied stove and coal bucket. Both unused even in winter and always burnished. No outside communications available or allowed. However after Sunday church parade our Squad Sgt instructed all to write home to our darling mummies ! He then collected them and demanded the stamp money . For 6 weeks no shore leave until we looked almost passable in uniform.

Reaction score
Home Country
Zimbabwe
When I joined all civvy clothes parcelled up and sent home. Issued ill fitting denims with buttons to clip on. Then straight to the barber's shop for nearly a 'Boule a Zero'. Then a meal and finally our Nissen hut accommodation. 12 double bunks with lockers. Heads at one end immaculate. In the centre of the hut was a pot bellied stove and coal bucket. Both unused even in winter and always burnished. No outside communications available or allowed. However after Sunday church parade our Squad Sgt instructed all to write home to our darling mummies ! He then collected them and demanded the stamp money . For 6 weeks no shore leave until we looked almost passable in uniform.
Funny hearing a Brit call a section a squad Chas, must be a booty thing I am guessing, you semi matlo pongo mutants lol. Sounds grim I have to say, and the charged you for the stamp. God Save the Queen hey lol. Great times I bet.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Funny hearing a Brit call a section a squad Chas, must be a booty thing I am guessing, you semi matlo pongo mutants lol. Sounds grim I have to say, and the charged you for the stamp. God Save the Queen hey lol. Great times I bet.
In my day Squads RM. Now recruits go to what is called a numbered Troop. We even had Platoons in Commando Brigade. Eg Machine Gun Pln. My recruit squad had 34 members. Of course this was in the day of Noah's Ark.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
In Boot Camp because its training you have four Squads to make a platoon, and far more than the traditional 13 which is a full squad, a platoon in the Fleet Marine Corps Forces is 3 squads