a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• WARNING

We have been alerted of inappropriate behaviours on the forum. We firmly condamn any form of agressivity, harassment, threats etc...
    Members will be banned if they don't follow the rules (see rules agreement during registration setup)

Flying out today

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
And never forget - the early days in the Legion are all about getting your head screwed on properly. Make sure you are prepared mentally to be humble for a few months at least. When you get to your regiment you can come out of that shell.

Only the "weak of spirit" don't make it in Castel. As Chas says - you need to "want it".

Another thing - You need to understand that nothing lasts forever in the Legion as it does in Civvy St.

2 or 3 hours corvee punishment (as dismal or unjustified as it seems at the time) is over and finished with after that. Turn the page. You don't have to start the job again in the morning as you would in civilian life because there are always others on the rosta.

Create shit - do shit. It's Instant Karma.

Even if you f@ck up big time, quite often your CO will only put it in pencil in your Carnet de Service and rub it out later if you behave yourself. It's a forgiving environment and it understands troubled and adventurous guys (for the most part).

Keep your head down, do your shit - and have fun. You'll discover a new FdG - (that you will very rarely talk about in public when you get out incidentally).

It's a great privilege to have done something that others couldn't (even) dream of doing and have it all stacked up in the back of your head like a “paquet-cadeau” if and when you decide to bring it out.

Thanks Kron I think this is all solid advice! Indeed what "scares" me the most is Castel, especially during winter time regardless how tough you think you are, I bet inevitably le cafard will hit you. Don't let me think too much about it hehehe! But it is super true, everything has an end, even the darkest of times with no food, sleep in the cold. I am preparing for that too, and fortunately not living in a warm place gives me opportunities to practice that.

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
Heat waves in summer
Cold windy winters
Flooding autum s
Spring is a thing to it's self...late frosts and heavy rain etc
Inter seasons can be worse or better... whatever
You want to be a légionnaire or a peasant ?
L.P.C.

Yes 100% that's what I say to people that try to do this great master plans about when in the year to join and in which season, every season offers its own challenges outdoors, it's the wrong starting mentality to focus too much on stuff like that because at the end of the day you are being formed to be a soldier that can be deployed anywhere in the world at any time so f%ck the weather!

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Kron I think this is all solid advice! Indeed what "scares" me the most is Castel, especially during winter time regardless how tough you think you are, I bet inevitably le cafard will hit you. Don't let me think too much about it hehehe! But it is super true, everything has an end, even the darkest of times with no food, sleep in the cold. I am preparing for that too, and fortunately not living in a warm place gives me opportunities to practice that.
Struggling a bit here buddy its France not the North Pole you ok with a map? Think any guy prepared to join any army is going to have some rough times and the thought of a bit of cold and wet is worrying you are you certain this is the path for you , but like the first gulf war I was listening to the radio they were interviewing some soldiers, one guy pipes up that he never signed up for war!!! But was happy to take the queens shilling any other week piss-ing around the barracks out of harms way, pull your big boy pants up you could get it a lot worse depending on we’re your posted, don’t want to sound negative but sometimes I can’t get my breath and I’m astonished in what I read!

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
Struggling a bit here buddy its France not the North Pole you ok with a map? Think any guy prepared to join any army is going to have some rough times and the thought of a bit of cold and wet is worrying you are you certain this is the path for you , but like the first gulf war I was listening to the radio they were interviewing some soldiers, one guy pipes up that he never signed up for war!!! But was happy to take the queens shilling any other week piss-ing around the barracks out of harms way, pull your big boy pants up you could get it a lot worse depending on we’re your posted, don’t want to sound negative but sometimes I can’t get my breath and I’m astonished in what I read!

What is that astonishes you in what I wrote?

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
“Scares” winter time come on over 5 years your going to have it up and down the sooner you go the better at times I think to much information is not good for the head if that makes sense don’t forget we are all different and are individual it’s personal experiences through other peoples eyes I’m not knocking you I just think you need to experience it first hand by going I do wish you luck the biggest hurdle I personally had was having to train with guys I would not p-ss on if they were on fire but you have to play the game that’s hard, we’ll it was for me don’t get me wrong their were some good guys we’ll never one to not say it how I felt or see it😊

Last edited:

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Yes 100% that's what I say to people that try to do this great master plans about when in the year to join and in which season, every season offers its own challenges outdoors, it's the wrong starting mentality to focus too much on stuff like that because at the end of the day you are being formed to be a soldier that can be deployed anywhere in the world at any time so f%ck the weather!
Hey FdG,

This old book takes some getting through at 300+ pages, but have a read of page 199 - Le Cafard.

Things haven't changed it seems (and this was written in 1956).

Volt may find it interesting too...

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
“Scares”

When I look every Monday morning at the freshly prepared training program by my coach, before the page loads, I am also scared sh$tless. But I still love it and I don't miss a single session since more than a year! I like to keep things real, IF I become an EV and IF I will be in Castel I am sure it will be hard af regardless of the weather. I find that if you don't accept you'll be feeling low at any point, when then happens (because it happens) the magnitude of the blow increases.

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
When I look every Monday morning at the freshly prepared training program by my coach, before the page loads, I am also scared sh$tless. But I still love it and I don't miss a single session since more than a year! I like to keep things real, IF I become an EV and IF I will be in Castel I am sure it will be hard af regardless of the weather. I find that if you don't accept you'll be feeling low at any point, when then happens (because it happens) the magnitude of the blow increases.
There's nothing wrong with being scared boy. In fact if you're not scared you're not normal.

The secret is keeping it in check and focussing on what needs to be done. It's like muscle memory - reaction kicks in.

In any event, fear only lasts for as long as the unknown exists. Once you understand it fear disappears.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
"We have nothing to fear, but fear itself"
Actually I don't know why I quoted that. If not to throw in my bahts worth into the conversation:whistle:. FDR is was referring to the banks during the great depression.
And what I think is that FdG was referring to apprehension rather rather than being scarred. Even then I'm not sure if apprehension is the right word.

Reaction score
Home Country
Zimbabwe
Hope you don't do a G on us FdG lol.

There's a lot of wrinkly old flesh and blood soaked Tevas banked on you here. You're our boy. We need a result for all this effort (as LPC pointed out recently).

Don't make us hire Jason Statham and a Lear jet with an aromatic ointment oil tracker to hunt you down FFS. We've all got better things to do.

You'd make a decent field medic IMHO given the chemist background. HAWKEYE !
What insanity goes on in your head half the time :D must be a hoot up in there bra. aromatic ointment oil tracker lol. Loons, the lot of you. (y)

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Voilà un Loon...
Scottish fishermen would follow Loons..whaurs is the Loons, thurs fish
Aberdeen, the Granite City) Scots dialect is called Doric...north of Aberdeen, 30 + klicks, is Peterheid....the windy city...same as Chicago...due to the blue snorkel parkas we wore, back in the day...biggest/ largest fishing port in Europe in tonnage
Not my turf but i lived there for a bit....

B9333357644Z.1_20180726090450_000_GPKMH1V79.1-0.jpg

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Voilà un Loon...
Scottish fishermen would follow Loons..whaurs is the Loons, thurs fish
Aberdeen, the Granite City) Scots dialect is called Doric...north of Aberdeen, 30 + klicks, is Peterheid....the windy city...same as Chicago...due to the blue snorkel parkas we wore, back in the day...biggest/ largest fishing port in Europe in tonnage
Not my turf but i lived there for a bit....

View attachment 7301
Hi LPC I did my junior soldier training at Bridge Of Don barracks in 1975 just at the start of the gold rush ( oil) we watched the city change in no time once the oil £££££ started flying about strange having cockney brass working the pups and clubs so far away from their normal punting grounds.