[Question] Fish allergy and the Legion

Ratings
Home Country
Australia
Our rations were very basic. Not like modern 'Ratpacks' which are very good. We had tinned butter, cheese, tinned sardines or pilchards tinned meat, hard tack biscuits best softened in packet soups and masses of boiled sweets. Some of the tins were dated 1945 and this was in 1956 ! My original Green Beret was a Kangol dated 1945. The worst food I endured was Machonnies' tinned sausages. So old they were grey with the texture of putty ! Absolutely revolting.

I can understand our esteemed Petit Caporal's problem of being constipated. Better than the squits tho' ! I suffered as well.

Finally Australien , welcome to the forum. However with an allergy, don't mention it if you go for selection. However remain circumspect about what you eat. Good luck.
Thank you for the welcome and I will keep it quiet when I go to selection and will remain aware about what I am eating. Thank you.

Ratings
Home Country
Australia
For 26 years looks like you have managed to avoid white fish their must have been times when you had to make do with an alternative, quite often in life we have to make some adjustments to get bye that could be carrying and injury or just not feeling to good but the job and task need done. If you want to make the legion their will be odd days you are hungry not the end of the world !
Yes there have been plenty of times when I've had to go hungry because there was no alternative so I'm no stranger to it. Yes I believe there are worse things in life than going hungry for a short time!

Papillon

Legionnaire
Ratings
242 1
Home Country
United Kingdom
Yes there have been plenty of times when I've had to go hungry because there was no alternative so I'm no stranger to it. Yes I believe there are worse things in life than going hungry for a short time![/QUOTE

Still think if you have to no what you are eating 100% of the time to avoid eating something that can effect you then the military is not ideal as you don’t have control, also not as if you can disclose it so my advise would be look for an alternative to military life!

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Ratings
Home Country
United Kingdom
I've never eaten any of these, the only time I've eaten fish and not had a reaction was when I have eaten anchovies on a pizza and didn't even know it. I've also worked with crayfish and fish in kitchens before - eaten food that has touched these animals, tasted them on the food I was eating and had no reaction.
Ever been down on a fat slag in summer ? smells like fish :)

Sarajevo1992

Super Active Member
Ratings
Home Country
Netherlands
you are out of luck, if the 13 DBLE would still be in Djibouti they could have posted you there. No fish in the dessert. Only problem there was a camel allergy :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Ratings
932 4 3
Home Country
New Zealand
you are out of luck, if the 13 DBLE would still be in Djibouti they could have posted you there. No fish in the dessert. Only problem there was a camel allergy :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Djibouti had a thriving fish market and sea port. Down in CECAP we used to trade diesel for fish which was sent up to the regiment. The rumor was that we spent most of our time out fishing.

SnafuSmite

Ratings
310 4
Home Country
South Africa
Djibouti had a thriving fish market and sea port. Down in CECAP we used to trade diesel for fish which was sent up to the regiment. The rumor was that we spent most of our time out fishing.
I remember watching a doco on Youtube about the 13th, they were practicing amphib assualts with rubber ducks. Will see if I can find the vid.

Most viewed threads of the week