a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favourite Legion Film

Hawkeye47

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I really thought Lionheart was a good movie.. .
Had heart, and charisma

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
I've liked every movie I've seen about the Legion. Most are fantasy or silly in some way or another but to me all of them were entertaining to some extent. I liked March or Die a lot, Legionnaire and I know many hated Bon Travail and Deserter (the one based on Simon Murray's book), but I liked them for what they were.

Hawkeye47

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I've liked every movie I've seen about the Legion. Most are fantasy or silly in some way or another but to me all of them were entertaining to some extent. I liked March or Die a lot, Legionnaire and I know many hated Bon Travail and Deserter (the one based on Simon Murray's book), but I liked them for what they were.
But have you seen Lionheart?

Hawkeye47

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I've seen them all. Lionheart just had a little bit of the "legion" in the beginning and then the guys who were after him. haha it was a fun film but didn't spend time on the legion.
I actually posted the full movie on a thread, for everyone to enjoy ;)

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States

So on point, they are what they are entertainment; however, once one has served the mistakes become all to apparent, thus some are hard to watch. Take American Sniper, I turned it off in 15-minutes. I did like Deserter, but I did not have a Legionnaire's perspective to draw from.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
USMCRET,

I also tend to turn off films which are inaccurate. Sadly I annoy my son who works for our MoD when I criticise fire and movement, tactics, use of air support and artillery. He must find me a pain in the arse !

Privilege of age and experience !

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Chas, compromise sometime have to be made between moviemaking and real thing. Actual depiction of reality don't always work on big screen.

Also moviemakers sometimes give themselves too much freedom so they end up with scene with looks ridiculous, especially to you guys which know how something should look like.

USMCRET I listen many guys (some of them SEAL) on youtube bringing to question Chris Kyle's story. 160 confirmed kills! Is it even possible? Can greens tell more.

Hansenmann

Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
Chas, compromise sometime have to be made between moviemaking and real thing. Actual depiction of reality don't always work on big screen.

Also moviemakers sometimes give themselves too much freedom so they end up with scene with looks ridiculous, especially to you guys which know how something should look like.

USMCRET I listen many guys (some of them SEAL) on youtube bringing to question Chris Kyle's story. 160 confirmed kills! Is it even possible? Can greens tell more.

Of course it's possible, some snipers in the past even managed to get more confirmed kills than that..

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Of course it's possible, some snipers in the past even managed to get more confirmed kills than that..

Possible yes, but how realistic is? It's different thing when Simo Häyhä shots at hordes of drunk Russians (with little or no army training at all) which come in abundance and have mission to kill as many as possible. He's number of over 500 confirmed kills also can be easy exaggerated.

In WW2 and earlier wars army needed heroes, legends to be ideal for soldiers and to rise up moral. That how legend of Red Baron and other super soldiers emerge. There is no doubt that they were exceptional soldiers, but sometimes mythical stories or made for reasons that I stated.

In case of Chris Kyle you have to have in mind that in modern warfare he probably was on specific missions not on killing rampage or ethnic cleansing. So I can't imagine how he can manage to kill 160 soldiers and not to kill innocent or men out of his mission objective. Even himself are said that number is exaggerated by navy.

I would really like to hear opinion of greens who know how missions of this type works.

Hansenmann

Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
Possible yes, but how realistic is? It's different thing when Simo Häyhä shots at hordes of drunk Russians (with little or no army training at all) which come in abundance and have mission to kill as many as possible. He's number of over 500 confirmed kills also can be easy exaggerated.

In WW2 and earlier wars army needed heroes, legends to be ideal for soldiers and to rise up moral. That how legend of Red Baron and other super soldiers emerge. There is no doubt that they were exceptional soldiers, but sometimes mythical stories or made for reasons that I stated.

In case of Chris Kyle you have to have in mind that in modern warfare he probably was on specific missions not on killing rampage or ethnic cleansing. So I can't imagine how he can manage to kill 160 soldiers and not to kill innocent or men out of his mission objective. Even himself are said that number is exaggerated by navy.

I would really like to hear opinion of greens who know how missions of this type works.

Well he's not the only one, in fact a UK Royal Marine is said to have even more confirmed kills than Chris Kyle.
One could also say it depends on being at the right place, at the right time, Chris Kyle also deployed 4 times to Iraq, so he certainly spent a lot of time over there.
Personally, I really don't care that much about how many people he killed. Chris Kyle will always be a legend for me.

BTW the story of Carlos Hathcock (USMC sniper in Vietnam) is also pretty interesting, worth reading about IMO.

And yeah, I do agree that some legendary war stories indeed are exaggerated, even sometimes completely fabricated for propaganda purposes. However, sometimes there are stories that seem too crazy to be true even though they are true.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Dusaboss and Hansenmann,

Remember I am a grizzled 'old fart' and set in my ways ? Simon Hayha was a superb sniper and all over 'open sights' (Iron Sights). He learnt his skills shooting wolves as a young man. My interests were recce and sniping and I was quite a proficient 'Gravel Belly' until promotion changed things.
The RM sniper still serves. He was a Cpl and I believe he is now a Sgt. He has been very modest about his achievements and certainly will not be making any films. And 'yes' many more kills than Kyle.
When and after I served the SAS were trained at our sniper school and the MAW Cadre taught them winter warfare. Now I am not 'au fait' with the current situation re SF training. However the Corps at less than 4% of total Brit Armed Forces manpower provides 43% of all current badged SF.

99% need not apply.