Favourite Legion Film

USMCRET

Chas, compromise sometime have to be made between moviemaking and real thing. Actual depiction of reality don't always work on big screen.

Also moviemakers sometimes give themselves too much freedom so they end up with scene with looks ridiculous, especially to you guys which know how something should look like.

USMCRET I listen many guys (some of them SEAL) on youtube bringing to question Chris Kyle's story. 160 confirmed kills! Is it even possible? Can greens tell more.
duasboss, when the Movie had Chris Kyle say he was going to leave his post as Over Watch for Marines going door to door and he was going to go down and teach us, Marines, going door to door In 2004 Fallaujah how to breech was so offensive and a load of shit. Why is it one never sees movies or books about Marine Corps Force Recon Operators? Hummm

USMCRET

Yes very possible and likely Hansenmann. There were many confirmed kills and the process/procedure for reporting and for the some parts getting the green light serves as the running tally.

USMCRET

Well he's not the only one, in fact a UK Royal Marine is said to have even more confirmed kills than Chris Kyle.
One could also say it depends on being at the right place, at the right time, Chris Kyle also deployed 4 times to Iraq, so he certainly spent a lot of time over there.
Personally, I really don't care that much about how many people he killed. Chris Kyle will always be a legend for me.

BTW the story of Carlos Hathcock (USMC sniper in Vietnam) is also pretty interesting, worth reading about IMO.

And yeah, I do agree that some legendary war stories indeed are exaggerated, even sometimes completely fabricated for propaganda purposes. However, sometimes there are stories that seem too crazy to be true even though they are true.

Gunnery Sergeant Hathcock was an outstanding Sniper and the book recalls tale and just what a sniper and a weapon can do.

USMCRET

Possible yes, but how realistic is? It's different thing when Simo Häyhä shots at hordes of drunk Russians (with little or no army training at all) which come in abundance and have mission to kill as many as possible. He's number of over 500 confirmed kills also can be easy exaggerated.

In WW2 and earlier wars army needed heroes, legends to be ideal for soldiers and to rise up moral. That how legend of Red Baron and other super soldiers emerge. There is no doubt that they were exceptional soldiers, but sometimes mythical stories or made for reasons that I stated.

In case of Chris Kyle you have to have in mind that in modern warfare he probably was on specific missions not on killing rampage or ethnic cleansing. So I can't imagine how he can manage to kill 160 soldiers and not to kill innocent or men out of his mission objective. Even himself are said that number is exaggerated by navy.

I would really like to hear opinion of greens who know how missions of this type works.
dusaboss, the way it works the op is drawn up and sniper, like Kyle and others, USMC..., are placed out in advance. The sniper establishes a hide along with his spotter. The sniper is called an Over Watch or as we referred to them in USMC language Guardian Angels. They were our close support. Also, they can be on a specific op to watch and observe. They would take out IED planter and etc.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Man, I watched American Sniper some time ago and now I'm trying to recall some scenes from it and only thing i get from my brain is picture of old Clint Eastwood :).

In other hand "Jarhead" real had some impact on me. I do not agree with depiction of marines, but man, that movie has some impression on me.

"Did he had balls to die in Vietnam. :)"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufOC6fq3fPg

Also scene with burning oil wells. It's so powerful. When black NCO talks him that he could be at home with his wife have a good job etc. Main character look at him confused, but I know exactly what he talking about. There is some magic and reality in that scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y4J8HOZMpQ

Here it is. Now I locked at real footage and is look pretty damn close. Depiction of hell ! I wish I was there.

USMCRET did you saw burning oil wells?

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Make sense Mark. :). I wonder would I have balls to do it. Notion getting me for some time now that if I don't try, regret and disappointment would be so strong all through rest of my life. So... there is only one solution for me.

I'm not important. We talking here about Van Damme. A lot of people don't like him at all and for real he have poor acting skills, but I respect him because of his athletic capabilities and he did job right for type of movies he acted in. He really looked good as villain in his first movie "No Retreat, No Surrender". Not so god as good guy especially when he try to protect some emotions. :)

Dusaboss,

Yes there is only one solution for you. I await the grand event with great interest and anticipation. 78 next month, will I still be alive when you make your move ?

I really am a mean 'old bastard' when I quiz you. But you keep me alive so thank you !

99% need not apply.

mark wake

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Dusaboss,

Yes there is only one solution for you. I await the grand event with great interest and anticipation. 78 next month, will I still be alive when you make your move ?

I really am a mean 'old bastard' when I quiz you. But you keep me alive so thank you !

99% need not apply.
Correction! Two mean old bastards! I might even send him a well done! IF he makes it! But after reading some of his comments? Nah!

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Dusaboss,

99% need not apply.
You'll be alive when I finish contract Chas, you are tough guy. Maybe even I would be first who will go to "other side". Hopefully I will get my kepi before that happens. ;)

Correction! Two mean old bastards! I might even send him a well done! IF he makes it! But after reading some of his comments? Nah!
Come on Mark I'm trying to become better man. If you think that I'm wrong about something you should tell me, there is some chance that I will accept criticism. ;)

mark wake

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
You'll be alive when I finish contract Chas, you are tough guy. Maybe even I would be first who will go to "other side". Hopefully I will get my kepi before that happens. ;)

Come on Mark I'm trying to become better man. If you think that I'm wrong about something you should tell me, there is some chance that I will accept criticism. ;)
Fast track back to your commentss! You know damn well what you said! Just go make something of yourself and try not to be a wise ass!

Most viewed threads of the week