a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Facts about Suez crisis 1956

Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt
Hey guys, in Egypt we are always taught that in 56 when the crisis happened our soldiers and volunteers kicked the Brits and French asses and beat them really bad. It is even popular here that French and British forces are weak because in our history books it is written that we really defeated them in 56. However, lately, I have come to believe that nearly everything that is written in an Egyptian history book in the modern era is a lie. I have listened to the Egyptian military's opinion on the matter for long enough. Now, I wanna know what the former legionnaires and elderly here think about this crisis. I wanna know what the French/British military say about the crisis and whether it was a defeat or a victory or simply a waste of time. Did they (officers, seniors and drill sergeants) mention it in your training or during your time? How did they deal with it? How was the tone? Did they mention it as a victory or a defeat? etc etc

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Operation Musketeer, was a military success and sadly turned into a political disaster. My unit was there and we combined in various ops with the FFL.

The latter at that time were the most battle hardened troops in the world. And that was the opinion of we the British Commandos.

All objectives were virtually taken but the US stepped in and ordered a total ceasefire.

I trust you will not find my next comment offensive. However it is my firm belief that if we had been allowed to continue, the Middle East , would not subsequently have proved to be so problematical.

My interest in the FFL stemmed from Indo China and thereafter Suez and comments made by colleagues attached to the Legion, as I have posted before.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt
I knew this major was lying. they were spreading some military propaganda a couple of weeks ago and they kept telling us how they beat the french and the british in 56. I quote "they were running around like sheep astonished by egyptian bravery" :D :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Some Egyptians, especially those in the Navy House fought with great distinction and gave us a tough time in house clearing.
Many others however donned civilian clothing. disappeared and then fired on us from various apartments and houses.
45 Cdo RM made the first Naval Helicopter assault for a full regiment in De Lessops Square. (Query spelling). De lesseps, (Ferdinand)
A Cdo mountain climber scaled the monument and placed a Green Beret on top of the statue.

Last edited by a moderator:

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
The French sent the 1er REP to Suez in 1956. They have never been beaten in any fight, but the politicians called their attack dogs back to Algeria. Down boy, down!

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Was the USA who ordered the Franco-British invasion out of Egypt threatening financial sanctions since both countries were heavily depending on US aid at that time (after the was, France could of easily have been under communist control). This by the way explains why so many of the administration from the Vichy days were still in place... Two years later, the Vth republic was formed and General De Gaulle became President.
Scotland, N. Ireland and Wales obey to London, Westminster Englands rule and we all know that England obeys to Washington.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I knew this major was lying. they were spreading some military propaganda a couple of weeks ago and they kept telling us how they beat the french and the british in 56. I quote "they were running around like sheep astonished by egyptian bravery" :D:ROFLMAO:

Of course Egyptians did some propaganda, made up something for people to spark nacional pride, politicians picked picked up points etc. But if you think that British and US governments, politicians and propaganda machine tell the truth and nothing, but truth ... Hmmm.
When comes to armed conflict is usually better method to look which side spoke lesser lies then to search for the truth.

I have experience with that from 90s and what happened in my country. Slobodan Milosevic have strong propaganda machine here and spread a lot of lies (one of wich is that we win against NATO). But there is also big propaganda going on against my country from all western medias according which Serbs was only one to blame for all conflicts here in 90s. etc

There's a lot of shady business when comes to that. Even history books can't be trusted. Many times there is 2 or more versions of same event and of course only one truth ,usually somewhere in middle.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
The French sent the 1er REP to Suez in 1956. They have never been beaten in any fight, but the politicians called their attack dogs back to Algeria. Down boy, down!
Jonny,

No ‘Guerre des Boutons’ from me. However read up on some of the minor skirmishes in Indochina.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
As stated by Chas, the Suez expedition was a military victory that turned into a political fiasco. The Egyptian forces were routed in a matter of two or three days and the Franco-British, could have easily reached Cairo and topple Nasser, but they received a red light signal from both superpowers. One need to remember that, at that time, the Nasser regime was ‘sponsored’ by the USSR and Krouchtchev did all he could to salvage his protégé. On the other hand, US President Eisenhower considered that helping ‘two old European powers’ to regain their influence over the Suez canal and more generally over Egypt, wasn't worth risking a crisis with the Soviets. Let's not forget either that the Suez operation was combined with an attack from the Israelis and that was another reason for the ‘big boys’ to call a halt to all this stuff.
The 1er REP, reinforced by a company (escadron) of 2e REC, did participate in the operation, but they were dispatched to the theater on boats and landing crafts. It was 2e RPC (Régiment de parachutistes coloniaux) of Col. Pierre Château-Jobert (aka Conan, his nom de guerre), a former French SAS trained by the Brits during WW2, which was dropped on Port-Saïd and Port Fouad, while the British paras were dropped on Gamil aviation field.
This created a lot of frustration among French officers who were convinced that Nasser was actively supporting the Algerian rebellion (which is not totally true) and considered that it was a lost opportunity to cut supplies to the FLN. This frustration grew up over the years and eventually led to the April 1961 putsch, where 1er REP played the role that we know.

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Chas, sorry, but what minor skirmishes in Indo China are you refering to? Dien Bien Phu? Tuyen Quang? RC 4?
No buttons from my tunic either.

Last edited:

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Hi guys, I would like to start a new post with a theme of something like why am I proud of having served in the Legion and what has it benefitted me in life. Or something like that. In other words, what has the Legion ever done for me?

Countdown

Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Hi guys, I would like to start a new post with a theme of something like why am I proud of having served in the Legion and what has it benefitted me in life. Or something like that. In other words, what has the Legion ever done for me?
Jonny, I would highly appreciate it if you wrote something about that, and I believe a lot others would appreciate it too. Maybe you could write something about personal reasons for joining too? Thanks.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Purchased a boat on Loch Lomand that was used in the Suez crisis , sorry just jogged my memory😀 I got it in 1987