a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Equipment and Gear

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I am curious, what type of Battle Armor does the Legion employ, do you guys wear Sappi Plates (1-inch Thick Ceramic Plates) one inserted in front to cover the vital chest area and one in the back to do the same. Also, what about Deltoid pads, neck gaiters, and groin protectors, all very vital and if wounded in those areas it can be deadly. We lost a Lance Corporal because he was shot through his side, Deltoid area, a very very deadly area because if wounded there you are likely to have been shot through the heart and lungs.

A full Combat Load, M16/A4 or the Compact M5 with all of the bells and whistles on the rail system, a 9mm Berretta, 130 5.56 rounds (usually much much more, but 130 is a "standard load"), 50 9MM rounds, medical pack, and a two quart camel back with water gets very heavy.

You see Aspirants why cardio, strength, and pull/push ups and so much more is critical and it just is not the CCH Fu&^%*( with you when you do Physical Training and someone cannot keep up, it is a serious and deadly business.

Just a thought, since I read 666 is soon to deploy.

Disclaimer, this is not me

http://cmsimg.marinecorpstimes.com/...0&Marine-Corps-seeks-better-body-armor-system

176607Mick

Unregistered
In the four deployments to Africa and the Gulf I did with the Légion I never once used bodyarmour. Neither did anyone else as far as I remember. I had a helmet, knee pads and Goggles. In Tchad we had nothing protective at all, sauf Les condom blinde

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
In the four deployments to Africa and the Gulf I did with the Légion I never once used bodyarmour. Neither did anyone else as far as I remember. I had a helmet, knee pads and Goggles. In Tchad we had nothing protective at all, sauf Les condom blinde

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You see, it was worth me asking. In Desert Shield and the 2003 war portion of Iraq, just the standard helmet and Vietnam era Vests

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
USMCRET,

My loadout looks about the same, even the color of the plate carrier. I have a few pouches I have added for my own purpose custom to me, as we all do..
Glowsticks, Plumbers tape, zipties, and so many other little knick knacks.

Other than that, I take all off the neck, groin, and also shoulder protection. It just is in the way. It is super crappy when stuffed into the VCBI or the VAB, too.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I have a difficult time deciding which is better, heavy duty armor or none.
We went without anything, not even a steel helmet but we could move a lot faster.

Cernunnos

Pro Member
Reaction score
Home Country
England
We went without anything, not even a steel helmet but we could move a lot faster.

I'm speaking from ignorance but maybe it's a "grass is always greener" kind of thing?
When you're cooking inside the suit you'll wish you didn't have it but if you get clipped you'd probably be wishing you wore it.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
USMCRET,

My loadout looks about the same, even the color of the plate carrier. I have a few pouches I have added for my own purpose custom to me, as we all do..
Glowsticks, Plumbers tape, zipties, and so many other little knick knacks.

Other than that, I take all off the neck, groin, and also shoulder protection. It just is in the way. It is super crappy when stuffed into the VCBI or the VAB, too.

Yeah man, every vest is loaded to the max with all of the little personal adaptations, I think you should at least wear the neck gaiter DCLXVI. You guys use the three point slings now?

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States

Now a days Volt, the IED, VBIEDS, and EFP (Explosive Force Penetrators) the body armor is a necessity, you get used to the weight. But if your Up Armored HMMWV takes an Explosive Force Penetrator hit you're Fecked. EFPs are nasty.

an EFP is a concave piece of metal, brass that is capped on the end of say a 155 round and it is aimed door height towards the road. When the EFP goes off, the metal forms into a slug, a very effective shape charge and it will go through the armored Hummers without problems. If it goes through yours it like being in a tank when it is hit by an anti tank round. The pressure is not the same as an anti tank but if it hit you more times than not you are dead.

A little gift from the Iranian Mullahs. That's right, the Iranians are responsible for more deaths than the Iraqis and Afghans, all of the EFP and lot of ordnance all comes from Iran.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
A little gift from the Iranian Mullahs. That's right, the Iranians are responsible for more deaths than the Iraqis and Afghans, all of the EFP and lot of ordnance all comes from Iran.

I don't think you are right about this. Sure they have their part in that war and heavy influence on some of the Shia groups, but there's a lot politics involved when someone puting whole blame on Iran. You will never hear one bad word about Saudi Arabia and they have involvement in many American deaths if not more than Iran.

I guess politicians patterns of thinking is "If someone gonna gun down our boys down in Mid East he will do that with weapon with stamp "Made in USA", or else they gonna be or enemy!"

There is lot of turning blind eye because of greed and "profit is only thing what meters " mentality. SA understand that and use to achieve its that sinister agenda. ISIS is their baby.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Now a days Volt, the IED, VBIEDS, and EFP (Explosive Force Penetrators) the body armor is a necessity, you get used to the weight. But if your Up Armored HMMWV takes an Explosive Force Penetrator hit you're Fecked. EFPs are nasty.

an EFP is a concave piece of metal, brass that is capped on the end of say a 155 round and it is aimed door height towards the road. When the EFP goes off, the metal forms into a slug, a very effective shape charge and it will go through the armored Hummers without problems. If it goes through yours it like being in a tank when it is hit by an anti tank round. The pressure is not the same as an anti tank but if it hit you more times than not you are dead.

I get that, but in Algeria we very seldom had to deal with IED's or other type of booby traps. I suppose it all depend on the present situation you are in for wishing you had one or the other option.

Hansenmann

Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
I've seen footage of legionnaires in combat in the Ivory Coast (I think it was around 2005) where they didn't wear helmets but berets instead. It all depends on the situation I guess.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I've seen footage of legionnaires in combat in the Ivory Coast (I think it was around 2005) where they didn't wear helmets but berets instead. It all depends on the situation I guess.

And orders from the top management.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
And orders from the top management.

I bet they had to show a less threatening posture, you know Volt, the whole Hearts and Minds Routine all the while in your head you keep the unofficial motto running, let's kill them all, God can sort them out.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States

a1b2c3

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Nations
View attachment 5972View attachment 5973

Paraclete RAV circa 2009, issued in AFG w/ ballistic + added some personal kit.

Pretty gucci for those days...and definitely not the older "turtle" version that had all the stupid attachments for neck/groin/shoulder etc. like below.

http://i58.servimg.com/u/f58/17/27/08/67/credit10.jpg

Cracks me up when I see guys on Vigipirate/Sentinelle with the old body armor and brand spanking new FAMAS Felin with all the gucci thermal sights on top. Really makes you wonder where the French military spends their money...

Hansenmann

Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
View attachment 5972View attachment 5973

Paraclete RAV circa 2009, issued in AFG w/ ballistic + added some personal kit.

Pretty gucci for those days...and definitely not the older "turtle" version that had all the stupid attachments for neck/groin/shoulder etc. like below.

http://i58.servimg.com/u/f58/17/27/08/67/credit10.jpg

Cracks me up when I see guys on Vigipirate/Sentinelle with the old body armor and brand spanking new FAMAS Felin with all the gucci thermal sights on top. Really makes you wonder where the French military spends their money...

What does the patch say? Major League Infidel? :)

a1b2c3

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Nations
Yes indeed, good eyes. I think I still have it somewhere, it's still dusty and falling apart but there were some good memories while wearing that patch.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
True story, Still wearing the G24 garbage on Vigipirate...Truer story, the money goes to even more garbage that sits in the cave for eternity. Truer story then the first two true stories, IT WONT EVER CHANGE BECAUSE THE LEGION ISNT CAPABLE OF CHANGING THIS.