Electricity, bankcards, cell phones and Plugs

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
For those who are travelling to France from afar, the States, Malaysia and the rest of the world. One or two things to take into question before going.
Electricity. Here is a list of of countries and their Voltage and their Hertz.

https://www.school-for-champions.com/science/ac_world_volt_freq_list.htm#.XA92QnQzbIU

The one to look at is France: 230V 50Hz

As compared to the US (for example) "The standard in the United States is 120V and 60Hz AC electricity. However, due to fluctuations, the average measured voltage is 117 VAC."
I have no idea what the last part means.
So if you are taking along electric items, such as phones, laptops, etc. take a converter with you.

1544518614851.png

These will also accommodate the different plugs that may be used in your country.

However: Places like Thailand etc. where the voltage is the same you may find plugs such as the following:
20181211_151008.jpg Or Malaysia 1544519449935.png again you will need and adapter,1544519785205.png Standard French wall socket.

Although there are two female and on male element in the French wall socket, a two prong round plug will work.

BANK CARDS To most Europeans getting a bank card means getting a visa card. this isn't the case for every country. Make sure that your bank card will allow you to withdraw from ATM machines abroad. A further precaution is to let your bank know in advance that you are are travelling to France.

Cell Phone Come on guys, while you are getting over the jet lag, have a couple of days in a nice but cheap hotel, you'll want to get in touch with your mates:cry:I know and I sympathize with you. But before you go, make sure that you can can call from France. Contact your provider and confirm. Just in case, make sure that you have all your telephone numbers available (on your email?). If your phone can take two sim cards, ask if buying a French sim will work in your phone.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
For those who are travelling to France from afar, the States, Malaysia and the rest of the world. One or two things to take into question before going.

https://www.school-for-champions.com/science/ac_world_volt_freq_list.htm#.XA92QnQzbIU

As compared to the US (for example) "The standard in the United States is 120V and 60Hz AC electricity. However, due to fluctuations, the average measured voltage is 117 VAC."
So if you are taking along electric items, such as phones, laptops, etc. take a converter with you.

View attachment 4296

These will also accommodate the different plugs that may be used in your country.

However: Places like Thailand etc. where the voltage is the same you may find plugs such as the following:
View attachment 4297 Or Malaysia View attachment 4298 again you will need and adapter,View attachment 4299 Standard French wall socket.

Although there are two female and on male element in the French wall sock, a two prong round plug will work.

BANK CARDS To most Europeans getting a bank card means getting a visa card. this isn't the case for every country. Make sure that your bank card will allow you to withdraw from ATM machines abroad. A further precaution is to let your bank know in advance that you are are travelling to France.

Cell Phone Come on guys, while you are getting over the jet lag, have a couple of days in a nice but cheap hotel, you'll want to get in touch with your mates:cry:I know and I sympathize with you. But before you go, make sure that you can can call from France. Contact your provider and confirm. Just in case, make sure that you have all your telephone numbers available (on your email?). If your phone can take two sim cards, ask if buying a French sim will work in your phone.
plugs here are nearly the same.. round with two female elements.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
They are called pins and are made of brass, usually
That's for thé plug and they are male
Sockets are female (holes)

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Canada

View attachment 4296

View attachment 4297 Or Malaysia View attachment 4298 again you will need and adapter,View attachment 4299 Standard French wall socket.

Although there are two female and on male element in the French wall socket, a two prong round plug will work.

VAC = Voltage Alternating Current. ;)

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Canada

View attachment 4296

Very good information and advice.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Malaysia
Good share! Voltage in France and Malaysia only has 10v diffrence, when i was there last year no issue only adapter is required.

Will buy a french carte sim for the trip as how i did when traveling in thai

Most viewed threads of the week