a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does rape occur within Legion's ranks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogwahchung476

Reaction score
I heard that new recruits who enter the Legion stand a chance to be raped ... is this true ?
I mean no disrespect or dishonor to the Legion ... but i have heard this rumour from a few different sources and would like to know if there is any merit to it.

thank you,
bwc

Constantine

Reaction score
Interesting question

Well judging from my experience in a draft army, there are bound to be some homosexuals among the recruits. Since i've read somewhere (correct me if not true) that there are brothels near the Legion posts, i see no reason for someone to be raped (unless he wants it-thats another story).

bogwahchung476

Reaction score
I think some of it might have to do with anti-French sentiment in the US. People bashing on the Legion, trying to scare potential recruits.
Most information suggests that the FFL is significantly less brutal in their treatment of recruits & troops than they have been in the past. I am not speaking of their training, of course, which is said to be some of the most (if not the most) challenging in the world.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
bogwahchung476 said:
I heard that new recruits who enter the Legion stand a chance to be raped ... is this true ?
I mean no disrespect or dishonor to the Legion ... but i have heard this rumour from a few different sources and would like to know if there is any merit to it.

thank you,
bwc
That never happened in my time. There were a few homosexuals in my regiment (2 that we knew of), but they never openly displayed their sexual preference.
Whereas homosexuals were not accepted in the Legion, a few slipped through the cracks :D :D

Slivovitz

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Keep in mind that man on man rape is rarely linked to homosexuality, but rather to asserting one's dominance and hatred onto another human being in a humiliating and disgusting fashion (same goes for man on woman rape).
It is currently a problem within the United States penal system, but most certainly not in our military. I highly doubt that rape occurs within the Legion, remember, these guys are armed. If somebody rapes somebody else, they're gonna have shit to pay the next day during target practice.
If I may ask, who's the patriotic little sod who told you this? Kindly remind him/it that France is supporting us in Afghanistan, and that we should be grateful to them for all of their help.

Cheers,
William
:mad: :eek:

Peter Lyderik

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
In the Finnish book, Peters Legioonalainen, the writer gives one example of a NCO sexually abusing a young soldier. That is in 2REP. In an article he also says that he was surprised how many of the NCOs and officers of 2REP were gays.

Eagle eye

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Macao
...and let me help you on yer way out of this board, Mein Herr Heindrick, to a specific Indochina board. Let me see, hmm, this is really difficult, ah yes..:MichaelWStewart's Indochina board. Everyone else who hasn't read it: Read 'The issue of rememberance in the FFL - one last time' in the 'FFL Today: forum' to understand what's going on in this thread...

Last edited:

legio75

Reaction score
Sorry guys this is getting out of control mr Lyderik was quoting a book NOT making a statement for himself regarding his opininons about gay men in the Rep, so why dont you Eagle cool down a bit and mak this a board that works.

have a good one mates

Forgotten

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
Someone needs to call a fire mission in this thread because it is not going to go anywhere.

Eagle eye

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Macao
Anyone quoting a book and with a basic understanding of historical analysis would add something along these lines, for example:

"This is a quote I found in the following book....However, this is most likely anectdotal evidence for with no factual, corroborating or quantitative evidence, and not a trend in military culture of the FFL. I found no such proof of evidence and verifiable trend besides isolated cases of reported homosexuality. Such statements can therefore be disregarded and can be sales-driven". This is, indeed, the case in the essential heterosexual military culture of the FFL.

Instead, Herr Lyderick chooses to - yet again - dump an irresponsible statement in his post and lacks a basic understanding in historical awareness in the presentation of such issues.

Also, it is irresponsible to present such issues by hiding behind the "formality" of published quotes.

Such statements can be thought of as "challenging" but are instead intrinsically insulting to the rememberance to all those who served well the FFL - and particularly those who are part of FFL rememberance. Mr. Lyderich is best advised to go to a FFL bar in Nîmes and Calvi to raise this issue and see what happens to him....

Legio75, Forgotten and Croquemort are best advised to steer clear of such exchanges and to let them run their course...
Thanks in advance to the last three aforementioned...

Also, on this board, I'm not pro- or anti-French but rather am mindful of where I'm at while giving advice to wannabes starting with a clear warning about the FFL: some articles posted by Lyderick are clearly and verifiably anti-French and offer no advice to wannabes other than a negative approach to the FFL. So, the three of yez should also read those posts.

Did s.o. say "Fire Mission" ? That's an affirmative: Fire Mission ! Grid ! Left 100...Right 200 ! Fire for effect ! OUT...

Last edited:

tiziano

Reaction score
is someone raped, or even attempted to rape a soldier in my unit he would find him self dead within hours, and no one would know who/how killed him, simple as that-a knife in the belly, period. judging by the profesionalism of the FFL, I cant see a rape occuring in its ranks as a method of intimidating recruits. if it happened, I would assume its a single isolated case, not a practice. but then again I was never there, so sorry for commenting, I was just rather surpised by the questions

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Rapes and homosexuality in the Legion... Another great classic on this board (may be a fantasy for some of our contributors ?), that inevitably provokes very quickly a big "e-brawl".
As for Peter, let me tell you that hiding behind someone else's sayings or writings to spread such unverifiable gossips as "many NCOs and officers in the REP are gay" is foolish and not so courageous. Your posts were once an added value to this board, but you're getting closer and closer to the "Red zone" (know the TV game ?). Consider yourself as 'officially warned'.

Status
Not open for further replies.