a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cycling

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Was thinking the other day I have cycled most of my life as a civilian but never in the forces noticed on e bay a cycling kit for the legion! When did cycling get introduced as a great way to keep fit work as a team and have a laugh well I would have enjoyed that might have kept me of the drink who knows but what a great addition to the training Any one no when?
Papillon

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
We had bikes at our disposal from BOI CCS
At times it would be the chef de section who requested them, for a cycle run, instead of footing
Also, légionnaires were able to sign one out at week ends to use, minimum 2 persons (in case of accident )
This was in the early 90 s
2 REI, was on tv recently, trying to break a record of some kind, on static bikes. ..= most KM in 24 hrs, i think ?
Was the Major on the polynesian recrutement thread who presented it to our local TV, France 3

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
might have kept me of the drink who knows
Don't know about that mate :).

You know, you can mount two (or more) big, up to 1 L water bottles on your bike. So I'm thinking what would I (or you) put in them? For me one would be filled with water (I can't drink alcohol if I'm thirsty). As for other one ... I don't know. It would depend on my mood. :)

So do you think you would be able to resist temptation (In your best years)? ;)

Now seriously on cycling subject. It's possible that FFL introducing it because a lot of running (especially on hard surfaces) can easy cause permanent joint damage (what many legionnaires probably do have).
It's not problem if you have 20 y. You come to legion and do your 5 years and you would probably not have any troubles. But if you do that for 10-15 y, or if you was professional sportsman (with lot of run) before FFL, it can be a issue.

It's relatively new studies, but scientists (doctors) realized that wary big influence in that have shoes we wearing. Heel is too high! It's not natural position for foot.

So people started to run totally incorrectly, on our heels. Even if you try to run on your toes ...is really hard if you have sneakers (or boots) with hi heel.
Try to run barefoot on grass so you would realize how big difference is in this two ways of running.

Or calves should act as shock absorbers when we run. If we would run as we did for many 100 of thousands of years that would be no much trouble. But ones when Nike Air Max is introduced... things started to be messy.

Now you can buy running shoes with 0 % drop which should help (I will try one pair soon).

ZeroDrop.jpg

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Papillion, the REP had them in the '90s. VTT and as you know there were lots of trails to use. When I left the BOI could fit out 2 sections complete with VTTs and they became a regular part of the challenges.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Dusaboss,

In my day all the Brit Armed Forces wore WW2 ammunition boots. (Google them) Absolutely horrible. Very bad for the feet. The sole, as ordained by some units, had 13 metal studs in them and the heel 3. Supposed to stop you from slipping but failed lamentably. Some idiot drill instructors made you polish them ! Foot Guards with their double soles to increase their stature !

In the Royal Marines and Paras we had more comfortable boots. For field work we had SV Boots with vulcanised rubber soles for stealth.

Both units wore the para helmet cap comforters or berets and Denizon Smocks (WW2 SF/Para/Cdo )clothing. We also use the old A frame Bergan rucksacks.

Now memories ! But after you have completed your 5 years in the Legion, you will also have some as well.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Dusaboss,

In my day all the Brit Armed Forces wore WW2 ammunition boots. (Google them) Absolutely horrible. Very bad for the feet. The sole, as ordained by some units, had 13 metal studs in them and the heel 3. Supposed to stop you from slipping but failed lamentably. Some idiot drill instructors made you polish them ! Foot Guards with their double soles to increase their stature !

In the Royal Marines and Paras we had more comfortable boots. For field work we had SV Boots with vulcanised rubber soles for stealth.

Both units wore the para helmet cap comforters or berets and Denizon Smocks (WW2 SF/Para/Cdo )clothing. We also use the old A frame Bergan rucksacks.

Now memories ! But after you have completed your 5 years in the Legion, you will also have some as well.
Hi Chas, were the vulcanized rubber soles what is known today as DMS or Direct molded soles? When I joined the Brit army Jan '80 only the drill instructors still wore 'ammo' boots and then only on the parade square. There was that and their 'pace stick' to measure out the correct distance that the boot (heel) was expected to hit the ground.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Dusaboss,

These one Chas?

Boots.jpg

I always have a bit of laugh when you share with us some peace of your equipment. :) How many models of boots did British army changed since those? 7-8?

Don't mind, have to joke little bit. ;)

And you are not that much much old. Now can you tell us again that story when you as a young corporal played a significant role in winning the battle of Waterloo? :):D:)

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Memory is a bit hazed. ..but i do remember this
When we were given autorisation to use bikes (a/d perso), we also had the posibility to participate, on a volontry basis,différent clubs sportifs (parachute club at Pujaut,in the Gard, but nearer Avignon,in the Vaucluse
Was also basket ball, boxing, footing. and on our own (@ least 2 = security reasons)
This was after Daguet
Also., we were given our carnet d habilement. ..till then, i never new it existed. ..@ CCS, a certain caporal (intouchable)...who went on to become Janviers chauffeur in Bosnie,
worked in the magasin de corps. .spent the crédits of other légionnaires rights, mines included

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Thanks for all the info.
Papillon

So you do cycling?

I did little bit of mountain - biking and some other crazy shit with bike. I'm guessing that you like casic road cycling?

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
So you do cycling?

I did little bit of mountain - biking and some other crazy shit with bike. I'm guessing that you like casic road cycling?

Started out in Mountain Biking used to race and enter some distance stuff, got fed up sharing the routes with walkers, runners horses and 4x4 so switched to the road, still use a mountain bike in the winter to keep the fitness up, cycle to work each day 18m each way and in Derbyshire you don't get flat roads but it keeps me in shape and it allows me to have some me time and reflect and think.
Papillon

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chas, were the vulcanized rubber soles what is known today as DMS or Direct molded soles? When I joined the Brit army Jan '80 only the drill instructors still wore 'ammo' boots and then only on the parade square. There was that and their 'pace stick' to measure out the correct distance that the boot (heel) was expected to hit the ground.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Joe,

I am honestly not sure. However the boots I was issued in the Queen's TA in the mid/late 80s' were not the same as our issued SV boots. I am not hot on the subject and found most boots of my era uncomfortable. Mind you the SV boots were infinitely better. At OCS run by the Foot Guards I always wore them on parade, pissing off the staff, by my peculiar drill and feeble effort at stamping. After my spell there I went to the RM/YO training wing at ITCRM prior to my officer's commando course which had to be completed in faster times.