a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Current migrant ‘crisis’ and its impact on the FFL

kkillert0fu

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
How is the current influx of "refugees" and "migrants" from the Middle East impacting recruitment for the Legion?

Here is breaking news just from today:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rit-Britain-ferry-desperate-bid-reach-UK.html

For people who are supposed to be considered migrants or refugees from a war torn country, they're up to date fashion and ear to ear grins seem to indicate otherwise. I've seen other articles that show them with expensive cell phones.

So I'm curious, have many of them have found their way to Paris or Aubagne? Is it something that Legion recruitment is aware and cautious of?

Will the influx of these migrants, as well as the resulting political, social, and economic issues in mainland France, cast a negative light on somebody attempting to join the Legion? Somebody from another country who has nothing to do with this issue and is merely seeking entry into the Legion, whatever his reasoning may be, and is a decent man who will make a fine Legionnaire, and possible French citizen. Will he be looked upon in the same manner as these migrants?

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
ZERO, if any of those mofos, had a pair in their trousers. They would turn things over 'at home'. That will not happen as long 'do gooders' exsists and hand out for 'free' taxpaying' honest peoples money. They are in for a Freeloading ride and easy sluts. May i 'ask' you, don't you feel a little bit guilty?

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Applying to join the Legion would be a logical thing do but the majority of the immigrants don't even want to fight for their own country or people ,many have left their wives and kids behind ! scum, they are after an easy life in Europe , not hard graft.

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
I am 'applying' for a crash course in Navigation ( i already know some, just need to be updated.), Swim or sink, would be the appropiate name. ;) Some deluisonal in the French government said something like "they enriches the culture" Well, Calais, sure isn't Monaco yet.

kkillert0fu

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I don't feel bad for them one bit. I see an article about women being raped, held captive, and made slaves. Right next to it I see an article about migrants storming some European border, all men. To think there is not a correlation is idiotic.

My biggest concern is:

1) Will this make it harder to get into the Legion because of an amped up vetting process?

and

2) Will somebody who makes it into the Legion be looked upon in the same manner as these migrants?

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
"You see","You hear" and "You read". You gob the mainstream 'media' shite, have it ever hit your way of thinking: 'Hey, they are serving the bad guy's and for free?'. Don't that make you feel the fool you are?

kkillert0fu

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
"You see","You hear" and "You read". You gob the mainstream 'media' shite, have it ever hit your way of thinking: 'Hey, they are serving the bad guy's and for free?'. Don't that make you feel the fool you are?

Don Pedro, I'm not sure what you are trying to say.

Hansenmann

Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
A lot of these "refugees" are complaining about the facilities and food in the Danish refugee camps, some of them are even returning to their home countries. (Which even includes Iran, Kuwait, Morocco, etc.)
So yeah, they're probably coming to Europe for welfare and for a better life, they're not going to join any military because it will be a very hard life, which isn't what they want, they want welfare and an easier life.
These refugees go across Europe to get to Sweden, the first peaceful country isn't enough, the country with the most giving welfare system is what they want.

kkillert0fu

Reaction score
Home Country
United States

Ah...I get it now...

Don Pedro, you invoke a sense of Obi-Wan Kenobi, who once asked a young trainee: "Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I don't feel bad for them one bit. I see an article about women being raped, held captive, and made slaves. Right next to it I see an article about migrants storming some European border, all men. To think there is not a correlation is idiotic.

My biggest concern is:

1) Will this make it harder to get into the Legion because of an amped up vetting process?

and

2) Will somebody who makes it into the Legion be looked upon in the same manner as these migrants?

1. If they go to Aubagne and join, they deserve exactly the same treatment as all of us greens got. And they will get it : they are no longer simple refugees but "candidates EV" !!! So it will not change a thing for other candidates, simply there will be one more candidate knocking on the door and the number of places is fixed !

2. Not if you compare him to migrants who don't have the balls to try to join

Ensiferum

Reaction score
Home Country
France
My humble guess, judging from the migrants I've met.
- Most of them are not legion caliber and would not pass selection (based on what Ive heard of it), neither physically or mentally.
- Most of them would not want to join legion anyway (serving their enemy). That also applies to the French Army (which they could not join anyway, not being citizens).

So all in all, no, it wont have any effect on the French military in general.
On the other hand, opération sentinelle(basically similar duties as you National Guard) are being undertaken in France, and I've seen the legion participating. Feel kind of bad for them because its not exactly soldierly work, and it makes them targets for extremists.
So only thing I would be worried is this.

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
My humble guess,(...)
"Humble guess"? How stupid are you my friend? None of them, came to join up, to have to get up 04H45 in the morning and work their arses off. They will get all for free, because tender eyed people will, support them (fecking traitors) and if someone is objecting, shout 'Racism' and 'cash in, cashing' as a one armed bandit!

Ensiferum

Reaction score
Home Country
France
General Piquemal, former commander of the FFL, has just been arrested at a rally in Calais.
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Piquemal

He seemed to have served under famous General Bigeard in the old days.
He was General commanding the Legion from 1994 to 1999 and, after retiring, President of the UNP (Union nationale des Parachutistes , Paratroopers National Union) from 2004 to 2014.

Lots of left wing commenting about the “far right dreamâ€￾ of French generals attempting a putsch.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Ensiferum,
What was the general arrested for? Is he for or against the immigrants? He was my chef de corps (commanding officer) in 3e REI in 86. The Legion owes him for creating 2e REG after the dissolution of 5e RE.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Alors, apart from sending the men back to fight for their country, has anyone come up with a solution for the mess yet?? NOT a former General of the Legion being arrested for speaking out surely!!

http://www.sudouest.fr/2016/02/06/r...dont-un-general-de-la-legion-2266426-6116.php

I don't know what the solution could be : in my university, students and professors are ready to help the refugees find food and shelter for a temporary stay in Belgium. Temporary meaning : as long as needed for these people to be able to go back in their homeland, which would again be a peaceful country. I believe this is our duty as human being : this simply means solidarity ! Older people here keep mentioning the Belgian refugees who were glad to be temporarily accepted in France and other countries during the German invasion during WWII.

As far as Calais is concerned, this is a very sad situation because the only people who could really help solve the problem are the governments, and more specifically the British government. They choose to let the situation become a rotten situation !!! The German government gave the good example by doing the converse.

Finally, about Gal PIQUEMAL, and despite the great respect I have for this former Legion general, I cannot accept his attitude. He took part to a protest march which had been explicitly forbidden according to the rules of the law : a protest march must be authorized by the mayor and here we had the contrary. The general knew what the situation was, by doing what he did he wanted to place himself above the law, and this is NEVER acceptable from a soldier, and certainly not from a former general who should give the good example by respecting the law even if he did not like it.

Moreover the examples of twitters approving his action show that the people writing in his favor are often member of the "Front National", a political party who tries to seize power in order to suppress all liberties : it is in their program.

I am sorry if this post shocks some of you because of my "lack of respect" for a former Legion general, but my conscience did not allow me to remain silent in this case.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Alors, apart from sending the men back to fight for their country, has anyone come up with a solution for the mess yet?? NOT a former General of the Legion being arrested for speaking out surely!!

http://www.sudouest.fr/2016/02/06/r...dont-un-general-de-la-legion-2266426-6116.php
Thanks for this post Sarahlouise, it answers my previous question. By pure chance below the article is, in à lire aussi, an article about A/Chef Benitez, or more specifically about his missing wife and daughter. For those who are not familiar with the story, the Legion A/Chef is suspected of 'making his wife and daughter disappear'. He then took his own life, unfortunately the article is in French.

Samtoo

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
The Tropic of Mexico...near Little Havana.
Home Country
United States
I don't know what the solution could be : in my university, students and professors are ready to help the refugees find food and shelter for a temporary stay in Belgium. Temporary meaning : as long as needed for these people to be able to go back in their homeland, which would again be a peaceful country. I believe this is our duty as human being : this simply means solidarity ! Older people here keep mentioning the Belgian refugees who were glad to be temporarily accepted in France and other countries during the German invasion during WWII.

As far as Calais is concerned, this is a very sad situation because the only people who could really help solve the problem are the governments, and more specifically the British government. They choose to let the situation become a rotten situation !!! The German government gave the good example by doing the converse.

Finally, about Gal PIQUEMAL, and despite the great respect I have for this former Legion general, I cannot accept his attitude. He took part to a protest march which had been explicitly forbidden according to the rules of the law : a protest march must be authorized by the mayor and here we had the contrary. The general knew what the situation was, by doing what he did he wanted to place himself above the law, and this is NEVER acceptable from a soldier, and certainly not from a former general who should give the good example by respecting the law even if he did not like it.

Moreover the examples of twitters approving his action show that the people writing in his favor are often member of the "Front National", a political party who tries to seize power in order to suppress all liberties : it is in their program.

I am sorry if this post shocks some of you because of my "lack of respect" for a former Legion general, but my conscience did not allow me to remain silent in this case.
Sometimes the situation is so severe and urgent civil disobedience is necessary. If the Bastille was never stormed, France would be like England. Look at what the 'refugee crisis' brought to Europe and is trying to happen in the USA. Sorry, there isnt time to request a permit to protest from the mayor. I support the General.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Sometimes the situation is so severe and urgent civil disobedience is necessary. If the Bastille was never stormed, France would be like England. Look at what the 'refugee crisis' brought to Europe and is trying to happen in the USA. Sorry, there isnt time to request a permit to protest from the mayor. I support the General.

Samtoo,

I don't want to start a discussion with one of my brothers-in-arms, but :
1. the Bastille was stormed because France was not a democracy, now it is. France has a legal government, freely chosen by the French people. We may like it or dislike it, that is not the point : the point is that when I became legionnaire I took the oath of allegiance to the Legion, and thus to the French government
2. there was no possibility to request a permit : the protest march had been forbidden by the mayor and by the minister of interior. Here again, we may like or dislike this restriction, but as legionnaires we must respect the legal and democratically elected civilian authority : that was the great problem with the officers of 1er REP when they rebelled against De Gaule
3. I am ready to discuss at great length with you about the refugee crisis, but that point is NOT of general interest for our comrades nor for the wannabes : I thus suggest that you PM me if you want to start this discussion in private