Curiosity questions

Geneticcz

Ratings
Home Country
Antarctica
Hi all,

I'm just a pencil pusher with a dead end desk job but love the idea of the FFL and although i wont be able to go, I've spend a long time reading on this forum and looking up everything i can think of. Forgive me if the questions have been asked before but either i couldn't find the answer anywhere else, the answer i found was very outdated or there was just too much conflicting information online.

1. Food - how does lunch/dinner get served? Is this already setup on the table with portions ready on the plates or do you go and get your own portions like at a "buffet" or more like what you see in prison where you get in line with a plate and the one behind the counter gives you what you ask for?
1. Answer:

2. Money - My question is, regardless of what is most likely to happen (beer and stuff), could one save every single euro (except for maybe 100 to 200 euros on toiletries monthly) for his 5 years if he decides to do so or are there restrictions?
2. Answer:

3. Certificates - With the goal of reintegrating people into civilian life after their contract, i was wondering if you get any certification for those specific skills like driving large vehicles, parachuting, or any way to prove you have completed those courses and are capable?
3. Answer:

4. which regiments still see shooting action nowadays and if there is a limit of time you can serve in one regiment? So could one ask to go to djibouti for 5 years?
4. Answer:

5. Selection - When going to apply would it be better for non francophones to learn a few french words and phrases (like one could prepare the answer to a few known questions during your interview) and try and speak french? I read some people say it shows great initiative but some other say it will backfire as then they will automatically speak full french to you and when you dont know what the hell is being said you look like an idiot?
5. Answer:

6. what happens when a legionnaire finishes the 4 month training and goes to his regiment? Can someone describe an average day during his stay in a regiment (preferably an abroad one)? What activities do you get on a daily basis? Do you have more freedom/free time in your regiment?
6. Answer:

Sorry for the long read, its been accumulating in my head for a while. I tried to put it simple ask and answer format so maybe someone searching for related stuff can find this information in the future.

Again my respects to all of you who joined or went to the gates and attempted it and who knows maybe someday i might too but for now this is the best i can do.

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Ratings
787 3 3
Home Country
New Zealand
Genneticcz, here goes:
1) It depends on your regiment, in the REP, 13 DBLE (Djibouti) 5RE , you took your meals along the hot plate, like in prison except there are two choices.... In Fort de Nogent and Aubagne and Castel the food is brought out on platters and dishes per table.

2) Money, no-one will tell you what to do with your money, it's yours and believe me you will have earned it.

3) You will get certificates for practically all the courses you do, from first aid to Para jumping. There will be some exception such as vehicles as this will be on your driving license. You will also get certificates for any medals you receive.

4) R. egiments which can see action. All the regiments with the exception of 1 RE - maison mere, recruiting and admin (i've included COMLE). 4 RE - basic training and courses.
All the others can be deployed if and when needed including DLEM and 3REI.

5) FrenchThis topic has been discussed X amount of times. On a personnel note I would remind you that all the orders are given in French and not Spanish. If you answer a few questions in French the recruiter will see straight away that you are not French and change back to your native language. It would be like a gringo trying to speak a couple of words of Spanish in Mexico. They will see straight away that he is not from there but is trying. No big deal.
You obviously didn't check the internet too hard otherwise you would know that the 13 left Djibouti in 2011. The other 2 remaining overseas regiments is for 2 years.

6) Much too hard to define a legionnaires everyday job in a combat company.

Geneticcz

Ratings
Home Country
Antarctica
Thanks! great to know about the food and certificates, couldnt find anything on those. Sorry again if the other questions were asked before but most articles are from like 2006 and such so hard to know what is still accurate (as you pointed out that 13 left djibouti already which if you search for djibouti or 13dble then you will always get stories about them being there)

appreciated!

Ratings
75 1
Home Country
Egypt
Genneticcz, here goes:
1) It depends on your regiment, in the REP, 13 DBLE (Djibouti) 5RE , you took your meals along the hot plate, like in prison except there are two choices.... In Fort de Nogent and Aubagne and Castel the food is brought out on platters and dishes per table.

2) Money, no-one will tell you what to do with your money, it's yours and believe me you will have earned it.

3) You will get certificates for practically all the courses you do, from first aid to Para jumping. There will be some exception such as vehicles as this will be on your driving license. You will also get certificates for any medals you receive.

4) R. egiments which can see action. All the regiments with the exception of 1 RE - maison mere, recruiting and admin (i've included COMLE). 4 RE - basic training and courses.
All the others can be deployed if and when needed including DLEM and 3REI.

5) FrenchThis topic has been discussed X amount of times. On a personnel note I would remind you that all the orders are given in French and not Spanish. If you answer a few questions in French the recruiter will see straight away that you are not French and change back to your native language. It would be like a gringo trying to speak a couple of words of Spanish in Mexico. They will see straight away that he is not from there but is trying. No big deal.
You obviously didn't check the internet too hard otherwise you would know that the 13 left Djibouti in 2011. The other 2 remaining overseas regiments is for 2 years.

6) Much too hard to define a legionnaires everyday job in a combat company.
Dude you mean back to your native language or to English?

Most viewed threads of the week