a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Covid-19 and joining -Important update

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Italy has just shut down due to coronavirus. Will it happen in France ? If France gets hit as hard as Italy then I'm sure recruiting offices will have to close for a while. Maybe a good time to go and try your luck as applicants, numbers will be right down. Or if you leave it until the end of the mayhem there would there be a glut of men trying to get in? Interesting times...

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Yeah I figure, if recruiting numbers go down because if the virus, they will want to make up for the loss intake so I'm still planning on sometime in 2021 and hopefully recruitment projections will be even higher so that my chances increase. Just speculation of course.

kkillert0fu

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
The news about Italy is what made me seriously think about how this may impact France and joining the FFL. I was setting a goal for going later on this year, but I'm wondering if I ought to push that out a little longer. Just out of precaution and to lay low while this whole thing blows over. They may have to put a pause on the increase in recruitment.

It's easy to say oh it won't happen to me, but then it very well could. I'd rather go and know that myself and everyone around me will be in decent health, than go and have this thing flying around everywhere. Even if it just turns out to be hysteria for the most part, still better safe than sorry. I get that the survival rate for young fit people is quite high. But I'd still hate to deal with the initial quarantine, the check ups years down the line, not to mention the social stigma of having had it.

This wouldn't push things out for very long, maybe I suppose just give it the remainder of the year and let it all die down completely, assuming the all clear is given some time before that.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
To those of you worrying about catching the Corona due to outbreak, you shouldn't worry. Look at the statistics and not the media hype. Coronavirus is less deadly, I say again, less deadly, than the flu that happens every year. The flu has killed several thousand people already just in America, as it does EVERY YEAR, and Coronavirus has killed a few hundred. And on top of that, Coronavirus basically just an alternate strain of influenza/flu. If you are young, healthy and in shape (i.e.: if you are fit to join the Legion) there should be no worries about catching it! And if you catch it, you will survive it. If you cannot survive the flu or Corona, you are too soft for the military in most cases

The Legion has about 7000 members and many, MANY prospective applicants. As we well know by observing recruiting practices of the Legion, their methods for choosing Legionnaire candidates isn't always fair (sometimes there is bias based on race or heritage, and sometimes it is just dumb luck). Use the scare to your advantage if you really believe you have what it takes to be a Legionnaire. Go to France now while idiots are scared of this hyped up flu strain and try your hand at it

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
The news about Italy is what made me seriously think about how this may impact France and joining the FFL. I was setting a goal for going later on this year, but I'm wondering if I ought to push that out a little longer. Just out of precaution and to lay low while this whole thing blows over. They may have to put a pause on the increase in recruitment.
I'd actually had started a thread on the subject because someone had asked me that very same question by PM. It had to be closed down because it went wildly off the rails.
For the moment , there are some schools and kindergartens (nursery) which are closed (but not universities*) closed around the most effected areas of France. However public transport is still up and running.

Look at the statistics and not the media hype. Coronavirus is less deadly, I say again, less deadly, than the flu that happens every year. The flu has killed several thousand people already just in America, as it does EVERY YEAR, and Coronavirus has killed a few hundred.
I agree that the media are having a field day on this one. You cannot turn on the news or check your info on the computer without some one telling you which region is affected, or who has got it. For example the UK health minister Nadine Dorries has been tested positive.
However, the ratio of the number of deaths to those affected are what is worrying the authorities.
BTW on this day 11 March 1918 First confirmed cases of the Spanish Flu in the US are reported at Fort Riley, Kansas. Now there you would know your @rse from your elbow! **

* The universities are being kept open because it is thought that adults are more resilient than children
**They found that a human H1 virus that had been circulating among humans since around 1900 picked up genetic material from a bird flu virus just before 1918 and this became the deadly pandemic strain. Exposure to previous strains of flu virus does offer some protection to new strains.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
At my age I am amused by the panic buying here in the UK. I am supposed to be at major age risk. I am damn fit for my age and certainly don't look my age. I have never smoked or suffered respiratory problems.

Of course I remain circumspect and I maintain a high personal hygiene standard. However there is so much fake news in the media. Albeit the situation is serious it is exacerbated by the media which thrives on chaos, doom and gloom. Hence panic ensues.

A major killer too often ignored is malaria. Viruses come and go and are a normal phenomenon. However I have no intention of croaking. So too bad for those who are fed up with my posts.:LOL:

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
To those of you worrying about catching the Corona due to outbreak, you shouldn't worry. Look at the statistics and not the media hype. Coronavirus is less deadly, I say again, less deadly, than the flu that happens every year. The flu has killed several thousand people already just in America, as it does EVERY YEAR, and Coronavirus has killed a few hundred.
I agree that media spread unnecessary panic, but it's not that corona is same as flu. Corona killed 4000 by now and flu did 600000 so it looks it's not that dangerous, but actually corona is far more deadlier than flu if we look how many infected died. Because it's new virus and our bodies still didn't adjust to it. Here is statistic.

I get that the survival rate for young fit people is quite high. But I'd still hate to deal with the initial quarantine, the check ups years down the line, not to mention the social stigma of having had it.
There should be no stigma after you fully recover. But knowing have people thinking ... who knows.

It had to be closed down because it went wildly off the rails.
Hmmm? :unsure:

For the moment , there are some schools and kindergartens (nursery) which are closed (but not universities*) closed around the most effected areas of France. However public transport is still up and running.
* The universities are being kept open because it is thought that adults are more resilient than children
That's is actually totally wrong. This corona virus affects children by far lesser compared to adults and especially elders. Also there is no cases of deaths among children.

The number of reported COVID-19 cases in children remains low: of more than 44,000 confirmed cases from China, only 416 (less than 1 percent) were aged nine years or younger. No deaths were reported in this age group.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
(...) Coronavirus is less deadly, I say again, less deadly, than the flu that happens every year. The flu has killed several thousand people already just in America, as it does EVERY YEAR, and Coronavirus has killed a few hundred. (...)
That's not correct , the fatality rate with corona is over 5% where as with “normal” flu its around 1%.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
It all depends on which number you’re focusing : mortality rate (i.e. percentage of people infected who die from the disease) or the absolute number of deaths.
For covid-19 the mortality rate is around 2 to 3%, vs about 0.1% for “regular” seasonal flu, however since the number of people who catch flu is much higher, the absolute number of victims is higher too.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Because more people get vaccinated (seasonal flu)
Only the USA have the vaccine for Coranavirus and since, MERS
Go figure?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
The Us have stopped all travel to the states from Europe for 1 month (except the UK). So if you are thinking of joining very soon, make sure that you intend on staying in.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I'm only repeating what is thought to be the reason that Unis have remained open.
Probable reason why they closed schools is although it does not affect children seriously they can still spread virus back home.
It all depends on which number you’re focusing : mortality rate (i.e. percentage of people infected who die from the disease) or the absolute number of deaths.
For covid-19 the mortality rate is around 2 to 3%, vs about 0.1% for “regular” seasonal flu, however since the number of people who catch flu is much higher, the absolute number of victims is higher too.
That's what I said. ;)
The Us have stopped all travel to the states from Europe for 1 month (except the UK). So if you are thinking of joining very soon, make sure that you intend on staying in.
Yes, and now would answer for original question be "Yes for sure would influence Legion intake!". Especially if we see significant rise of infected in France. (like in Italy and numbers are rising in France)
I think situation just became little bit more serious than 2 weeks ago. We would probably see increase of cases in whole world. after 1-2 months we can expect number of new cases start to drop. So in summer everyone would be probably OK to join. Unless virus mutates in bad way and situation become much worse.

kkillert0fu

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Now the US is taking drastic measures. The NBA season has been suspended, which is absolutely huge. Events everywhere are being cancelled, schools cancelling classes. Like I had mentioned, if this all turns out to be hysteria, so be it. But for now, it seems like its better to be safe than sorry. Hopefully this blows over in the next few months.

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I'm worried about the small businesses on both sides US/Europe. Shop keepers, hotel and restaurants, excursions, museums and theme parks. These people do not just rely on tourists. But it starts a domino effect, if you do not have any money coming in then you are not going to spend any money..