a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Considering Bringing A Notebook To Document Enlistment to Help Contribute to Forum

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I will speak to a mate who works in Aubagne

OMG. What you gonna say? "Shut this little kurva down" ? :)

I would give account to friend in other to cover me on forum while I'm gone. Maybe I'm already in Aubagne. ;)

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Silence is golden.

I watched the recruits from 3 Army regiments yesterday at an open day. Overall I remained unimpressed. It was not a tight ship. I was also astounded about the ethnic background of many and the various languages spoken. It was almost a Foreign Legion. The Rifles band was there to entertain and display. They were average but not outstanding. 'Johny' Gurkha was there and I had a long chat with the Provost Sgt who was one. They as usual were smart. I told the Provost Sgt to march my son off to cells which stitched them both up with laughter. They then riposted saying I was past my sell by date and one said' brain cell'.

'Bello te prepares' is the motto.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Chas recently I heard about custom among Gurkhas that if they take their Kukri (knife) out, they can't put it back without spilling a blood. So if they don't cut someone else, they cut them self.

That is really good philosophy with deeper meaning and great sense of honor behind it.

I respect that. It means: " Do not pull your weapon if you are not ready to kill with it or to be killed" (That my free interpretation, but I'm sure that is close to original meaning).

IrishHermit

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Chas recently I heard about custom among Gurkhas that if they take their Kukri (knife) out, they can't put it back without spilling a blood. So if they don't cut someone else, they cut them self.

That is really good philosophy with deeper meaning and great sense of honor behind it.

I respect that. It means: " Do not pull your weapon if you are not ready to kill with it or to be killed" (That my free interpretation, but I'm sure that is close to original meaning).
I've heard that nijas do that. I think that I read it in a James Clavell novel.

176607Mick

Unregistered

When do you go to Paris

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
When do you go to Paris

C'mon Mike. You gave me advice to STFU and now you ask to break that. :) Nooo! If I think better I will not go at all. I just like to hang out here with old legionnaires. ;)

176607Mick

Unregistered
C'mon Mike. You gave me advice to STFU and now you ask to break that. :) Nooo! If I think better I will not go at all. I just like to hang out here with old legionnaires. ;)

Mick not mike. There you go then. Not wasting my time on this anymore. I don't care whether you stay or go mate. You ask a million questions about going, seek advice from those of us who have already been and done our time then you tell me you aren't going? Yawn. Good bye

IrishHermit

Reaction score
Home Country
United States

I accidentally clicked on dislike this post. I don't know how to remove or change it. :(

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Mick not mike. There you go then. Not wasting my time on this anymore. I don't care whether you stay or go mate. You ask a million questions about going, seek advice from those of us who have already been and done our time then you tell me you aren't going? Yawn. Good bye

I think Dusa is yanking your chain Mick.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Dusaboss,

Not true.

In another incarnation I was guarded by Chetris, Gurungs and Thapas. My last 2 personal bodyguards were Gambahadur Thapa and Sobilal Thapa. Both had fought against the Nipponese in Burma. The much feared Kukri is used for cutting firewood, bamboo and for killing goats for the pot. In the regiments they still use the Kukri for clearing jungle and for general purposes. At their annual Puja they slaughter a bull. They use a huge ceremonial Kukri and it is considered bad luck if the animal is not killed cleanly and with one blow. I performed the same ceremony with a goat tethered at the neck and with hind legs outstretched. It is amazing just how effective a 2lb Kukri is. I performed this for my 3 years with them. Gurkhas : 'Bravest of the Brave'.

Hitsuji

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Slovenia
Chas how were Gurkhas back then education wise, I mean more world knowledge ? I read a while ago memories of a Vietcong soldier and he basically said they just fought but didn't really know whom. At first it was the French (they knew them) but when Americans came they didn't know for long time they were not French, till some day political commessars or whatever told them the Americans are the French mercenaries ...

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hitsuji,

The Gurkhas who served with me on the Assam/ Burma border were WW2 vets. Both they and their parents were not well versed in the ways of the world. Some could not read and write. Most of them had never seen a ship, so when they went across the sea which they called the Kala Pane (Black Water) they looked to see if the ship had legs.

They would obey all orders without hesitation. However you had to earn their trust and respect. Luckily the respect was mutual and I am a good linguist.

Now it is all different. The modern Gurkha recruit is much better educated. Selection to the British Gurkhas is incredibly tough. They know the countries of the world and speak good to excellent English. The Gurkha Provost Colour Sgt that I met last week had impeccable English.

I had a fascinating job on the border. I shall leave it at that other than to say, that after my three and one half years stint, I returned to the UK on full six months leave salary and was given a car for personal use. Happy days !

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hitsugi,

The Gurkhas who served with me on the Assam/ Burma border were WW2 vets. Both they and their parents were not well versed in the ways of the world. Some could not read and write. Most of them had never seen a ship, so when they went across the sea which they called the Kala Pane (Black Water) they looked to see if the ship had legs.

They would obey all orders without hesitation. However you had to earn their trust and respect. Luckily the respect was mutual and I am a good linguist.

Now it is all different. The modern Gurkha recruit is much better educated. Selection to the British Gurkhas is incredibly tough. They know the countries of the world and speak good to excellent English. The Gurkha Provost Colour Sgt that I met last week had impeccable English.

I had a fascinating job on the border. I shall leave it at that other than to say, that after my three and one half years stint, I returned to the UK on full six months leave salary and was given a car for personal use. Happy days !

There are some very good documentaries on selection of Gurkhas and the process they go through, it is amazing. These very very soft spoken individuals are outstanding warriors. I was amazed when they were put through training, completely opposite of most military recruit training, not a lot of screaming and yelling, no need to. They are so pliable and ready for training and they listen well. The documentaries also tell some of the true accounts of heroism of the Gurkhas from WWII to present day action in Afghanistan.

Amazing!

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
There are some very good documentaries on selection of Gurkhas and the process they go through, it is amazing. These very very soft spoken individuals are outstanding warriors. I was amazed when they were put through training, completely opposite of most military recruit training, not a lot of screaming and yelling, no need to. They are so pliable and ready for training and they listen well. The documentaries also tell some of the true accounts of heroism of the Gurkhas from WWII to present day action in Afghanistan.

Amazing!

The Gurkhas, are some crazy good soldiers, there is a story of a Gurkha unit in Afghan doing a kill mission on a Tali commander, they killed the chap but forgot to bring a camera so a gurkha pulled out his Kukri and chopped off the head of the Tali and when they returned to base he dumped it in a bag on the intelligence chaps desk. Talk about confirmation of kill!

link for reference
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...r-Afghanistan-battle-cleared-return-duty.html

Last edited:

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Speaking of Gurkhas here reminds me of :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1mDayRZQ2M

There is no much realism in whole this series, but have interesting retrospective of weaponry

What the hell are you talking about. There's a two hour Documentary on the Gurkhas? Maybe it is not what you are used to seeing. These are different people, far different than the average recruit.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Speaking of Gurkhas here reminds me of :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1mDayRZQ2M

There is no much realism in whole this series, but have interesting retrospective of weaponry

What the hell are you talking about? There's a two hour Documentary on the Gurkhas? Maybe it is not what you are used to seeing. These are different people, far different than the average recruit.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
What the hell are you talking about? There's a two hour Documentary on the Gurkhas? Maybe it is not what you are used to seeing. These are different people, far different than the average recruit.

Don't understand you.

Because we talked about Gurkhas I remembered this series where they compare FFL with them. I said that concept of that whole series "Deadliest Warrior" is not realistic because they take two warriors (sometimes from different time in history) and that try to decide which one will win.