[Question] Considering Bringing A Notebook To Document Enlistment to Help Contribute to Forum

USMCRET

Don't understand you.

Because we talked about Gurkhas I remembered this series where they compare FFL with them. I said that concept of that whole series "Deadliest Warrior" is not realistic because they take two warriors (sometimes from different time in history) and that try to decide which one will win.
No, not that one, I know which one you are talking about. There's a documentary on recruiting Gurkhas, shows the process, the thousands that apply and the selection process. That warrior on warrior is just crap

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
I saw them quite often when I was in Aldershot (2 Years). In a video concerning the recruitment, they are taught how to press on a button to stop the traffic so that they could cross the pedestrian crossing. I actually saw that taking place. It seemed strange until I spoke to the platoon Sgt about it. He had worked with them and said if you tell them to jump out of a window they'll jump.

I was part of the swimming club and every evening during the week would go down to the PTI school. To teach the Gurkhas how to swim they would go to the top board and jump off. There were always three life guards on duty at the time.

Hitsuji

Hyper Active Member
I've seen several docmentaries about Nepal and Ghurkas, if you consider where they come from, and how special and rare that opportunity is fo them and their families and the social status and honour that comes with it its not strange at all. I would also jump out of window if necessary just to keep it :)

Hitsuji

Hyper Active Member
Hitsuji,

The Gurkhas who served with me on the Assam/ Burma border were WW2 vets. Both they and their parents were not well versed in the ways of the world. Some could not read and write. Most of them had never seen a ship, so when they went across the sea which they called the Kala Pane (Black Water) they looked to see if the ship had legs.

They would obey all orders without hesitation. However you had to earn their trust and respect. Luckily the respect was mutual and I am a good linguist.

Now it is all different. The modern Gurkha recruit is much better educated. Selection to the British Gurkhas is incredibly tough. They know the countries of the world and speak good to excellent English. The Gurkha Provost Colour Sgt that I met last week had impeccable English.

I had a fascinating job on the border. I shall leave it at that other than to say, that after my three and one half years stint, I returned to the UK on full six months leave salary and was given a car for personal use. Happy days !
Trully amazing, not long ago even in Europe going to school was rare especially for female children, that changed some time after the world war two.
My great granfather from mothers side and his brother had no idea what communists and royalists were so they joined one movemeant each so they could help each other. They lived on a farm far away from any major city, they probably went to school for couple of years, they were litterate, and they traveled a little but it was time before television and radio was common thing to own and who knows if they read news papers. Though granddad might have been selling them as he owned a shop, but war started before he had gone to serve in the navy so instead of 3 years on a ship he spent 4 fighting all sorts of Axis in th woods wearing a red star on a cap :)

Most viewed threads of the week