a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Commonwealth recruitment.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
It always suprised me the initiative legionnaires will go to get some booze
We used to planck them (bottles and cans) in the bushes or in the trees around the parade square. ..pre arranged with some one, deposits the bevvy in lorries tool boxes , in the zone technique

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
We used to planck them (bottles and cans) in the bushes or in the trees around the parade square. ..pre arranged with some one, deposits the bevvy in lorries tool boxes , in the zone technique
The best one i heard was Guns having Bottles of spirits put up the Breech, stored in the Barrels. Can´t remember if it was the FH 70 or Light Guns. Customs found them.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
@ Joe : source : le salon biege
Amicale Scouts and Parachutistes
Another extrême right group in the making

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States

Le Pettit Caporal, I used to get my uncle to send me "Magic Listerine Mouth Wash Bottles" while in Iraq. Dump out the Listerine and fill it with Crown Royal.

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Le Pettit Caporal, I used to get my uncle to send me "Magic Listerine Mouth Wash Bottles" while in Iraq. Dump out the Listerine and fill it with Crown Royal.

One time at MCT Camp Devildog, I was on a 6 mile hump with my company. I did a banane and run out of water, so I asked the guy next to me if he had any, and he had a shet eating grin on his face as he handed me his canteen

It was cinnemon vodka. The most awful spirit I ever tasted. I chucked immediately

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
One time at MCT Camp Devildog, I was on a 6 mile hump with my company. I did a banane and run out of water, so I asked the guy next to me if he had any, and he had a shet eating grin on his face as he handed me his canteen

It was cinnemon vodka. The most awful spirit I ever tasted. I chucked immediately

In Iraq, 2005, I went into my troops Hooch and in the freezer there were several water bottles, not frozen. I was like come on guys be smarter than that. I just walked off and let them keep their stash. They were very hard working Marines and a damned fine Platoon.

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
All military plans however well conceived always go awry at some point during the actual action. Then it boils down to the actual participants right down to section level to sort it.

Chas, you will know this stuff better than me considering your background but they say that 'small unit leadership' is what actually wins wars. D-Day, for example, despite the logistics and planning by the Top Brass, the success of the Normandy Landings that day came down to the young Ruperts and the Lads fighting it out on a small strip of beach.
Quite incredible if you think about it.

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
No mate, since the Brits gave up HK they are no longer included. Here's a list:
The Commonwealth’s 53 member countries span Africa, Asia, the Americas, Europe and the Pacific. All members subscribe to the Commonwealth’s values and principles, outlined in the Commonwealth Charter.

Leaders of member countries shape Commonwealth policies and priorities. Every two years, they meet to discuss issues affecting the Commonwealth and the wider world at the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting. All members have an equal say – regardless of size or economic stature. This ensures even the smallest member countries have a voice in shaping the Commonwealth.

• Antigua and Barbuda
  • Australia
  • Bahamas, The
  • Bangladesh
  • Barbados
  • Belize
  • Botswana
  • Brunei Darussalam
  • Cameroon
  • Canada
  • Cyprus
  • Dominica
  • Fiji Islands
  • Gambia, The
  • Ghana
  • Grenada
  • Guyana
  • India
  • Jamaica
  • Kenya
  • Kiribati
  • Lesotho
  • Malawi
  • Malaysia
  • Maldives
  • Malta
  • Mauritius
  • Mozambique
  • Namibia
  • Nauru
  • New Zealand
  • Nigeria
  • Pakistan
  • Papua New Guinea
  • Samoa
  • Seychelles
  • Sierra Leone
  • Singapore
  • Solomon Islands
  • South Africa
  • Sri Lanka
  • St. Kitts-Nevis
  • St. Lucia
  • St. Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Swaziland
  • Tonga
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • Tuvalu
  • Uganda
  • United Kingdom
  • United Republic of Tanzania
  • Vanuatu
  • Zambia
Members from other Commonwealth countries joining the Brit armed forces is nothing new. Shortly after my fin de contrat (June 1994) I attended the airborne forces week at Aldershot. Caught up with some Brit paras who came to Calvi to jump for their French Wings the previous January. One of the Sgt. told me there was a recruiting centre a stones throw from Victoria railway station in London. Following week i dropped in...after much talk over three or four days, they were willing to offer me a two year contract.

QUOTE="Chas, post: 230354, member: 1143"]Effective today the requirement for commonwealth citizens to have resided in the UK for 5 years to be able to enlist has been scrapped.

The RN are recruiting immediately. I suspect this may also relate to the RM.

The Army will start recruiting early next year.

BBC News today.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Chas, you will know this stuff better than me considering your background but they say that 'small unit leadership' is what actually wins wars. D-Day, for example, despite the logistics and planning by the Top Brass, the success of the Normandy Landings that day came down to the young Ruperts and the Lads fighting it out on a small strip of beach.
Quite incredible if you think about it.

That is absolutely the case, very well put. Decentralization of power/command and training to empower your young troops is paramount.