a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Col. Eeban Barlow: Composite Warfare: The Conduct of Successful Ground Force Operations in Africa.

Reaction score
Home Country
Zimbabwe
Good Day All.

I have held a copy of Col. Barlow's: Composite Warfare, "the conduct of successful ground force operations in Africa", since it's release in 2016 and have found the work a great help in practical application of basic military field security, drill and operational roll out when dealing with various levels of indigenous forces and volunteers. Especially in West Africa, Nigeria, Niger and Togo.

I want to point out that this is from a private military aspect of training with what can most reasonably be described as third World forces. No offence to those Nationalities on this platform, I merely suggest the level and standards of gear, infrastructure and training before we as training staff and outside force management get involved in the regions multiple projects. For example, STTEPS and Colonel Barlow's involvement in the Boko Haram engagement post kidnapping of the school girls in 2014 and it's swift success for the time it was allowed to run.

So I put it to the members of this forum, those with service of course, in the Legion or other armed forces or indeed the private military sector like myself:

1. Have you read the book?
2. if so, what did you take away from it?
3. In what situation was it of merit to you, please explain? and
4. If you have not heard of the book, what do you look for in a field guide or trusted manual in dealing with composite actions. Africa or elsewhere.

NB. FYI Colonel Eeban Barlow is one of three founding members of Executive Outcomes Plc. Famous for their involvement in the Angola war in the 90's and also Sierra Leone conflict against the RUF. The Movie Blood Diamond was based off his work in the region.

Last edited:

jwaltos

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
So I put it to the members of this forum, those with service of course, in the Legion or other armed forces or indeed the private military sector like myself:

4. If you have not heard of the book, what do you look for in a field guide or trusted manual in dealing with composite actions. Africa or elsewhere.
I think I came across the above book when I was 12 yrs. old and it made an impression. I look for decency, competence and efficiency which can be associated with awareness and specific thresholds of mental and physical ability. Some prehistoric societies built megaliths not by wishing for them but by cooperation. Societies bent on destruction usually don't last long, they're like parasites. Intrinsic to any society is a control of some sort, like a higher organism where are the parts work together to survive and multiply. You can't build something strong from an enfeebled society or on the bodies of the dead. Health and education first. A single person in this age can be either a massive creative or destructive force. Cyber warfare, space warfare .. are extensions, controlled and enabled by a minority of vested interests. If you want to review something trusted, look at simple and effective., a 2 dollar grenade thrown into the cockpit of a 2 billion dollar fighter craft. Regarding Africa (South), District 9 is one of my favourite movies and it has a message.

I'm somewhat off topic relative to what you asked but I'll ask you this, what are the options? What are the motives/objectives..who pays the cost and who obtains the benefit? Holocausts, Genocides, Mutually Assured Destruction...etc..are always in the cards but there are better plays than those. If you're looking for the best way to fight you'll always be fighting, the converse is also true.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
Zimbabwe
I think I came across the above book when I was 12 yrs. old and it made an impression. I look for decency, competence and efficiency which can be associated with awareness and specific thresholds of mental and physical ability. Some prehistoric societies built megaliths not by wishing for them but by cooperation. Societies bent on destruction usually don't last long, they're like parasites. Intrinsic to any society is a control of some sort, like a higher organism where are the parts work together to survive and multiply. You can't build something strong from an enfeebled society or on the bodies of the dead. Health and education first. A single person in this age can be either a massive creative or destructive force. Cyber warfare, space warfare .. are extensions, controlled and enabled by a minority of vested interests. If you want to review something trusted, look at simple and effective., a 2 dollar grenade thrown into the cockpit of a 2 billion dollar fighter craft. Regarding Africa (South), District 9 is one of my favourite movies and it has a message.

I'm somewhat off topic relative to what you asked but I'll ask you this, what are the options? What are the motives/objectives..who pays the cost and who obtains the benefit? Holocausts, Genocides, Mutually Assured Destruction...etc..are always in the cards but there are better plays than those. If you're looking for the best way to fight you'll always be fighting, the converse is also true.
I just wanted to know if anyone had read the book and if so how they found it helpful. No deep delving reasons china, just a good field manual for ops in Africa, especially underdeveloped nations like Nigeria and Niger especially. Thanks for feedback on the Che book, but as he was topped by the CIA i think ill stick to Col Barlows efforts. lol. Cheers mate. Have a good one.

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
Just wanted others feedback on a bloody good read and field guide for composite warfare, lol, nothing more. Seems to have hit a dead end. Ill stick to the Beano and Flash comic reviews in future. lol. Cheers Chef.

Brian I was looking for the book online, do you happen to have like a pdf to share? I've found it only second hand on Amazon for almost a 1000 bucks hahaha. Sounds like a great read though! I started reading Stephen Ambrose's books about WWII and it only increased my hunger. Thanks mate!

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
I think I came across the above book when I was 12 yrs. old and it made an impression.

I am having a read now, I have a lot of admiration for what he achieved (although I am politically neutral) but what strikes me about the Che's writing style is how romantic and idealized it is, almost prophetic in style. It's a mixture of Gen. Patton and Ezekiel almost :ROFLMAO:, a skilled warrior and a shaman. It's a weird mixture.

Reaction score
Home Country
Zimbabwe
Brian I was looking for the book online, do you happen to have like a pdf to share? I've found it only second hand on Amazon for almost a 1000 bucks hahaha. Sounds like a great read though! I started reading Stephen Ambrose's books about WWII and it only increased my hunger. Thanks mate!
Hi mate, no sorry, its a dense and large paperback volume, like a commanders field guide for example. You can get a copy from bush war books in RSA, just google it. 450 rand roughly. when you hit Africa with the Legion, I think it would be great to have a copy. Cheers bro.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
When we, from 1st world militaries with very esteemed past, try to train, mentor, or trust in those forces only disaster will follow. They are NOT good TROOPS and one must NEVER and I mean NEVER relax their guard around them, most are infiltrators and will kill you in a heartbeat and have you on you tube if given a chance.

They will never meet the standard no matter the years of training and the sophisticated equipment, pure trash at best and cannon fodder. Do not ever let your life depend on any of them.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Good Day All.

I have held a copy of Col. Barlow's: Composite Warfare, "the conduct of successful ground force operations in Africa", since it's release in 2016 and have found the work a great help in practical application of basic military field security, drill and operational roll out when dealing with various levels of indigenous forces and volunteers. Especially in West Africa, Nigeria, Niger and Togo.

I want to point out that this is from a private military aspect of training with what can most reasonably be described as third World forces. No offence to those Nationalities on this platform, I merely suggest the level and standards of gear, infrastructure and training before we as training staff and outside force management get involved in the regions multiple projects. For example, STTEPS and Colonel Barlow's involvement in the Boko Haram engagement post kidnapping of the school girls in 2014 and it's swift success for the time it was allowed to run.

1. Have you read the book?
2. if so, what did you take away from it?
3. In what situation was it of merit to you, please explain? and

NB. FYI Colonel Eeban Barlow is one of three founding members of Executive Outcomes Plc. Famous for their involvement in the Angola war in the 90's and also Sierra Leone conflict against the RUF. The Movie Blood Diamond was based off his work in the region.
It sounds very interesting , sadly not currently available but I will track a copy down

Reaction score
Home Country
Zimbabwe
It sounds very interesting , sadly not currently available but I will track a copy down
You will not regret it china. It's a great read and very insightful. Most UN and NATO/EU forces that come to the continent have their methods and madness in how to train our people, systems that just don't work due to a multitude of factors from tribalism to logistics to bone idleness of the men. This work is the true "how to" on raising a fighting force from indigenous "African" personnel and one that has been proven for 100 years and most recently in the form of five successful Mercenary forces being raised under the command of the Col. You won't regret the investment if you are ever to command men. Cheers.

Reaction score
Home Country
Zimbabwe
When we, from 1st world militaries with very esteemed past, try to train, mentor, or trust in those forces only disaster will follow. They are NOT good TROOPS and one must NEVER and I mean NEVER relax their guard around them, most are infiltrators and will kill you in a heartbeat and have you on you tube if given a chance.

They will never meet the standard no matter the years of training and the sophisticated equipment, pure trash at best and cannon fodder. Do not ever let your life depend on any of them.
This my friend, is an example of just how little Americans know of African forces. You are talking about Arabs and Afghans one would guess?. African forces are trustworthy, hard working and absolute war machines when they are well trained and tested. The Rhodesian Army and pre 1994 South African Defence Force being an example. 90% of our forces were black Africans. Same for the Angolan EO forces that put an end to the illegal war there under the command of Simon Mann and Eeban Barlow, again in Sierra Leone, the Ugandans and Kenyans on and on. I suggest you get a copy of this book and read into our history on the continent for a wider exploration of just how good African forces can be when well fed and led. Cheers.

canuckroyal

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada

jwaltos

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I just wanted to know if anyone had read the book and if so how they found it helpful. No deep delving reasons china, just a good field manual for ops in Africa, especially underdeveloped nations like Nigeria and Niger especially. Thanks for feedback on the Che book, but as he was topped by the CIA i think ill stick to Col Barlows efforts. lol. Cheers mate. Have a good one.
I didn't read the book but I did read some reviews and did some fact cross referencing for my own benefit.

In my deep delve I neglected mentioning "kindness." Any book I carried with me when I was in service could also be used to wipe my ass if there wasn't any water or leaves around. I would bury my sh$t as well. EVERY book on tactics or "operations" is a worthwhile study, especially those notes or diaries written by those who were part of those actions and I've read a few of those translations. A solid book carried in a chest pocket can also stop or slow down a bullet under the right circumstances.
Thanks for sharing the book title and the author. At some point in the future I'll look up that book and others at RCMI which I have access to. Sorry I couldn't be of more help regarding the specific feedback you requested. Cheers.

Added after editing:
Rather than cite one firm I was considering applying to in the past here is a listing of some firms that have a few things in common. Just for fun try pitting one firm against another from what you know about them and predict the winner/loser. There (should) be a couple of people within this forum who know how good some of these firms are by association.

Last edited by a moderator:

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
@RHODIE MURWI WEGA , purely out interest what could a private contract soldier expect to earn for say regular low/medium risk security work , maybe guarding a facility ? and is the market for Western Europeans / Brits/Americans flooded and have they been pushed out by men who will accept much lower pay? Thank you.

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
I didn't read the book but I did read some reviews and did some fact cross referencing for my own benefit.

Thanks for sharing the link jwaltos, while I wait to put my hands on the book I enjoyed greatly the interview of Col. Barlow. One point that really got my attention is when he talks about Executive Outcomes getting a contract to stop piracy at its very early days. I always wondered why private military organization don't strike some kind of a deal with pirates... like for instance, those man must be skilled in what they do, they could be a formidable light naval float of some kind. Now I know!