a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Col. Eeban Barlow: Composite Warfare: The Conduct of Successful Ground Force Operations in Africa.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for sharing the link jwaltos, while I wait to put my hands on the book I enjoyed greatly the interview of Col. Barlow. One point that really got my attention is when he talks about Executive Outcomes getting a contract to stop piracy at its very early days. I always wondered why private military organization don't strike some kind of a deal with pirates... like for instance, those man must be skilled in what they do, they could be a formidable light naval float of some kind. Now I know!
The only deal you could strike with pirates is stay off the water or we will sink you. They are not rational people, you only have to watch a few of the videos to see that.

Reaction score
Home Country
Zimbabwe
It is a very good book. I also own his latest book "The War for Africa: Conflict, Crime, Corruption, and Foreign Interests"

https://www.warbooks.co.za/products...interests-eeben-barlow?variant=36567836065948

I particularly think Barlow's theory on Trinity of Gravity and it's application to counter-insurgency is sound.
I also have a copy Canuck, just getting the time to read it in peace. lol. For sure a cracking read and yes I agree on ToG theory, its spot on. As is most of his work in the book. Tried and tested.

Reaction score
Home Country
Zimbabwe
@RHODIE MURWI WEGA , purely out interest what could a private contract soldier expect to earn for say regular low/medium risk security work , maybe guarding a facility ? and is the market for Western Europeans / Brits/Americans flooded and have they been pushed out by men who will accept much lower pay? Thank you.
Hi Surfguy, you are spot on I am sorry to say. A lot of the good work was under cut and staffed by dross from all corners of the planet, South America, Sri Lanka, India even a few EU countries like Greece where they take 2K pe rmonth for work we charged 500 a day for lol. Thats the game hey. For a low risk static post in Africa, lets say MIA Mogadishu you will probably find Ugandans, South Africans few Estonians maybe that work for 2 to 3K USD per month on 12 hour stints 7 days a week, thats just a rough number I can be assured off the top of my head. The hotter the AO the bigger the fees mate. PSD outside of the MIA Mog for example with expats that are trained in NATO countries you are looking at 6 to 7K for team members USD per month. Project coordinators 10K regional managers 15K again, depending on the work load, rotation and threat. When I was heavy into maritime during the golden era I was mayking 700 Euros a day, tax free, then the South Africans, Estonians, Greek dudes came and did the work for 4K per month USD lol. Then the Sri Lankans came and did it for a sandwich and pepsi lol. Madness hey.

Reaction score
Home Country
Zimbabwe
The only deal you could strike with pirates is stay off the water or we will sink you. They are not rational people, you only have to watch a few of the videos to see that.
I did PMSC maritime from 2010 to 2014/15 starting in GOA/Indian Ocean in the Somali basin days of fun and ended up in the GOG throwing chains at the boys in the Bonny River inlet lol, great times but you would not want them on your team, rightly spotted. Both are meth heads and useless dead wits. I get why they do it but you are right mate. No place for them.

canuckroyal

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I did PMSC maritime from 2010 to 2014/15 starting in GOA/Indian Ocean in the Somali basin days of fun and ended up in the GOG throwing chains at the boys in the Bonny River inlet lol, great times but you would not want them on your team, rightly spotted. Both are meth heads and useless dead wits. I get why they do it but you are right mate. No place for them.
Glad to see a fellow man of the sea here. I have done Maritime Interdiction Operations in GoO, GoA and Indian Ocean. Piracy writ large is mostly dead in Somalia due to the heavy Naval Presence and widespread use of Armed Guards on Merchant Ships now. It will make a return though when the economic conditions are right.

The Pirates and Smugglers are all mostly driven to the business by poverty and drug addiction. Confiscating contraband from smugglers was like taking candy from a baby.

Reaction score
Home Country
Zimbabwe
Glad to see a fellow man of the sea here. I have done Maritime Interdiction Operations in GoO, GoA and Indian Ocean. Piracy writ large is mostly dead in Somalia due to the heavy Naval Presence and widespread use of Armed Guards on Merchant Ships now. It will make a return though when the economic conditions are right.

The Pirates and Smugglers are all mostly driven to the business by poverty and drug addiction. Confiscating contraband from smugglers was like taking candy from a baby.
Howzit Canuck, it's funny I never thought of myself as a matlo before lol, defo a pongo at heart but sure, plenty of months at sea in the GOG and GOA/Indian ocean. I think during my entire time in the GOA I did convoy twice, either the client vessel was too slow or too fast or we were late. The piracy actions dried up in the Somali basin due to armed guards, no doubt about it. The moment they started to get hit hard it was over for them. You cant board a vessel with any decent size freeboard and BMP4 guidelines in practice. Razor wire, water hoses, swell on and on, not to mention us firing at them from the bridge wings. I had coalition assistance once in 2013 during a contact North of Kinshia, 6 skiffs loaded with skinnies, scaffold ladders the works, we had a running contact for 6 hours breaking contact on and off, when the coalition heli arrived it was a Dutch Royal Navy bird who came along side, opened the door and filmed what was going on. After 45 minutes they buggered off. That was it lol. We steamed into the Indian Ocean and on to Galle. You would know the armouries well I would imagine china, man what a place to spend four days on the MV Sea lion.......... turd of a tub. lol.

canuckroyal

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Howzit Canuck, it's funny I never thought of myself as a matlo before lol, defo a pongo at heart but sure, plenty of months at sea in the GOG and GOA/Indian ocean. I think during my entire time in the GOA I did convoy twice, either the client vessel was too slow or too fast or we were late. The piracy actions dried up in the Somali basin due to armed guards, no doubt about it. The moment they started to get hit hard it was over for them. You cant board a vessel with any decent size freeboard and BMP4 guidelines in practice. Razor wire, water hoses, swell on and on, not to mention us firing at them from the bridge wings. I had coalition assistance once in 2013 during a contact North of Kinshia, 6 skiffs loaded with skinnies, scaffold ladders the works, we had a running contact for 6 hours breaking contact on and off, when the coalition heli arrived it was a Dutch Royal Navy bird who came along side, opened the door and filmed what was going on. After 45 minutes they buggered off. That was it lol. We steamed into the Indian Ocean and on to Galle. You would know the armouries well I would imagine china, man what a place to spend four days on the MV Sea lion.......... turd of a tub. lol.
I was a soldier before I became a sailor. Becoming a sailor was a stroke of luck and a bit of a risk on my part. I had been an Infantry Officer for a decade and was on my way out of the Army.

There is a little known pathway in my Country's Armed Forces that allows serving members in good standing to switch trades and keep rank and seniority with regard to pay, etc.

I threw my name in the mix for Naval Officer and got picked up. I've been doing it for a few years now and am a fully certified watchkeeper.

Can't say I don't like it, deployments are better than the Army and the places you visit are generally nicer, I like Ships and I've seen lots of places. Life at sea has its own challenges of course but it's a good time.

Only place I absolutely hated was Indonesia. Jakarta is an absolute nightmare and sailing through the Archipelago is a pain in the ass. Driving the Ship through Malacca is an experience. I did it at night at 26kts as the Skipper wanted to use speed to get through their as quickly as possible. Skiffs everywhere at one point. I thought for sure we were running someone over.