[Joining] Coeliac disease

Hi!

Hi!

I'm 26 years old, in mediocre shape, and have only one real health problem: coeliac disease. This means I'm allergic to gluten, a protein, found in wheat and can't eat pasta, bread or other food items containing wheat without damaging my small intestine.

I have read (2) other posts regarding special diet, in which the answer was "Allergies? Iz cool bro!", and I feel it's too good to be true for the Legion to just give future soldiers their very own ‘special diet’. So I want to know how this is managed in real life, and if there are ANYONE at all who have joined, and succeeded, with coeliac disease?

I just feel that it's absurd for a military institution to conform to the soldiers needs and not force the soldier to conform instead (and discard of the ones who do not)...

Any answer that sheds light on this subject would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely: Inferior-genes-man.

176607Mick

Unregistered
Hi!

I'm 26 years old, in mediocre shape, and have only one real health problem: coeliac disease. This means I'm allergic to gluten, a protein, found in wheat and can't eat pasta, bread or other food items containing wheat without damaging my small intestine.

I have read (2) other posts regarding special diet, in which the answer was "Allergies? Iz cool bro!", and I feel it's too good to be true for the Legion to just give future soldiers their very own ‘special diet’. So I want to know how this is managed in real life, and if there are ANYONE at all who have joined, and succeeded, with coeliac disease?

I just feel that it's absurd for a military institution to conform to the soldiers needs and not force the soldier to conform instead (and discard of the ones who do not)...

If it doesn't affect your ability to do the job, then keep schtum and don't eat what will effect you? It's like saying I have IBS caused by eating bread etc etc. Stop eating bread et voilà... Aucun problème.

Yes, it is absurd that the military would change the type of food due to the allergy of a few. And I don't think that is going to happen yet, the Frenchies have “no porkâ€￾ rations but I think that's the only special one. Only thing that i can think of containing gluten in the rations is the crackers but those get thrown out anyway because they taste like cardboard. There are a few pasta dishes in the mix but you'll be able to switch those out with someone who has a different one.

So that's it for the field... I don't see any big problems there. In the regiment, if the kitchen serves pasta then the kitchen serves pasta. They won't make a special dish for you but no one is going to force you to eat, so just don't eat it. Might cause you some weight loss in basic but after that you can surely figure out a way to make your own meals for those days.

So it would be definitely doable. Whether or not this condition will disqualify you is another thing, one way to find out.

Makes sense.

I really do think they'll kick me out since they can't guarantee that I'll get any food at all... Which would mean a starving and ineffective soldier. But, like you said: only one way to find out!

I'm off to do some pushups and also book a session at an orthopedist, all this talk about getting denied because of clicking joints has scared the shit out of me...

Thank you for your reply.

USMCRET

Military, this is a fighting organization and uniformity is the key. The FFL does not need to cater to the specific need of every single Legionnaire, it is impossible and futile. Believe it or not, MRE, Field Rations, and even the chow in the chow hall is specifically prepared for the benefit of the Legionnaire. The Legion, Marine Corps, SAS, Royal Marines all know the rigorous of training and actual combat. Meals are prepared to meet the Caloric need of a very active Legionnaire. Meals are prepared to help Legionnaires or Marines perform.

176607Mick

Unregistered
Military, this is a fighting organization and uniformity is the key. The FFL does not need to cater to the specific need of every single Legionnaire, it is impossible and futile. Believe it or not, MRE, Field Rations, and even the chow in the chow hall is specifically prepared for the benefit of the Legionnaire. The Legion, Marine Corps, SAS, Royal Marines all know the rigorous of training and actual combat. Meals are prepared to meet the Caloric need of a very active Legionnaire. Meals are prepared to help Legionnaires or Marines perform.
No, not in my experience and I know things may have changed but when I was in the legion the food was shit. In Guyane I spent 14 months at CEFE so we had better food, mostly because in those days we took in turns to be duty cook and there was only about 20 of us. My speciality was beer monsters delight. Minging

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
I honestly can't see it. You may get by in your regimentt but druing instruction there is no way. You will be hugry all the time. When they serve up a dish of speg, Bolo. and you are famished, you will go crazy.

I know it's hard and I'm sure that you would make a good soldier, but save your money and think about something wlse.

Makes sense.

I really do think they'll kick me out since they can't guarantee that I'll get any food at all... Which would mean a starving and ineffective soldier. But, like you said: only one way to find out!

I'm off to do some pushups and also book a session at an orthopedist, all this talk about getting denied because of clicking joints has scared the shit out of me...

Thank you for your reply.
If you think you have inferior genes (you don't, most hunter gatherers were like you, no one ate bread or pasta, obviously, humans adapted to bread after farming/agriculture), and you think you will be rejected, then why are you going?
Honestly you are right, IF You say anything about it, you won't be accepted, they simply have too many guys with zero problems.

BUT IF you keep your mouth shut about it and just eat food you can digest then you can make it through and should be able to trade or bargain or steal what you need. :)

However this negative, self defeatist talk in all your posts points to some serious problems in making it through selection or in the legion even if we take the gluten intolerance out of the equation. You can succeed and make do, but your mind and attitude are beating you before you have even gone. Think about it and change your mindset, or don't go. But that's just me...I could be wrong, but I don't think so, because I believe in myself. :D

"negative" and "self defeatist" is what I read, and my only guess is that you are not thinking it through properly. I try to be realistic, meaning that I accept my low odds at success. But even though I have accepted that I'll be facing incredible resistance and probable rejection I keep fighting to reach that goal. To me that is the antithesis of "negative" and "self defeatist".

I also feel it necessary to point out that I will definately NOT lie about my weaknesses. If they don't think they have a place for me, that I can manage successfully, then I probably shouldn't be there. The phrase "Fit in or **** of" comes to mind, if I dont fit in they'll kick me out but I'll let THEM decide if I fit in or not.

Also: this'll be good data sampling for future reference regarding people with celiac disease.

Thank you all for your replies! :)

DanielP,

In my TA days we swapped food in our RATPACKS to our own taste.

In the RMs' mid 1950s' we ate what we were given. Some food was excellent other food was awful
Since I was a 'Gannet' (Large Sea Bird) a RM term for someone who was a voracious eater, i.e. greedy I ate everything.
In mitigation we were still enduring rationing at home, a legacy of WW2. And I wanted to get larger !

To the point, it might be possible to exchange food with your mates. However I remain doubtful. A 'Green' can tell you.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
DanielP, I'm sorry, it's a no. You cannot go through Aubagne, let alone Castel on a restricted diet. Try, and the best of luck to you, but it's a no go.

"negative" and "self defeatist" is what I read, and my only guess is that you are not thinking it through properly. I try to be realistic, meaning that I accept my low odds at success. But even though I have accepted that I'll be facing incredible resistance and probable rejection I keep fighting to reach that goal. To me that is the antithesis of "negative" and "self defeatist".

I also feel it necessary to point out that I will definately NOT lie about my weaknesses. If they don't think they have a place for me, that I can manage successfully, then I probably shouldn't be there. The phrase "Fit in or **** of" comes to mind, if I dont fit in they'll kick me out but I'll let THEM decide if I fit in or not.

Also: this'll be good data sampling for future reference regarding people with celiac disease.

Thank you all for your replies! :)
I know I will be in the minority here ....

But to me it seems that you just want an award for "attempting to join". There is no reason to go if you are going to shoot yourself in the foot the moment you walk in the door. It's like marching there to throw yourself on your sword. If you want a participation award for trying that is fine. If you actually want to join and actually want to be a soldier and actually need a new life then this charade of going to spill your guts in selection is pointless theatrics. We seem to get a steady supply of guys who really don't need or want the legion but want to go and SAY THEY TRIED, but do everything in their power to make sure they don't actually get accepted. Bravo!

Enjoy the moral victory of telling the whole truth and nothing but the truth knowing it ends your quest the moment the words slip past your lips. I just don't get it. Basically every guy I know who made it in held something back, not because they are dishonorable lying bastards, but because they NEEDED a second chance more than they needed anything else in their lives, true victory meant something to them....not a participation award. The fact you are basically planning to fail means you don't need to be there and it is just something to check off on a list of things you 'tried'.

I'm not saying this to be a dick, you seem like a nice guy, but you obviously don't need this in any deep or meaningful way. If you kept this 'intolerance' to yourself and tried to make it work would be more respectable in my book as you would show you were really giving it everything, not just lip service. It doesn't matter if you fail in the end if you truly tried. Going and getting rejected in the medical right off the bat isn't trying.

Sorry If I sound like a dick, but I am sick of guys just wasting the board's time and the legion's time and thinking deliberate failure is honorable. They won't take you if you give them the whole spiel about your 'weakness'.

In my mind you either DON'T bother going at all....or GO ALL THE WAY. No in between! Anything else is a waste of time.

Good luck in life. I wish you the best in whatever else you chose to do.

Hi!

Hi!

So, if you want specific answers, according to SIGYCOP medical rules and my little undesrtanding of it, you should be excluded in medical exam.

According to these rules, you get a lower qualification than required to be in l'Armee de terre. But They won't know unless you tell them. My opinion is that seems unlikely you could do basic training this way. I don't want to discourage you, but I'd not try if I were you.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Hi inferior-genes-man, it seems a long way to go to just say that you tried. I trust that you have to take medicines with you. The frist question the doctor will ask you is where would you get resupplies from in Northern Chad. No point in telling him that you will be marching in Northern Mali with five months of supplies in 45-60 °C along with rations, water and ammo.

Even if the only treatment is a gluten free diet you will have substitue that with other foods.
No-one would like to be in your place and it's a real bummer, but that's the way it is.

Well let us know when you are going and what the doctor says.

First off: In your starting statement you wrote "...it seems that you just want an award for "attempting to join".", 80% of the rest of your reply is you, taking for granted that your previous assumption was true, ranting about how you are mad at me for being JUST the kind of guy you thought I was... Your whole reply is an interesting read, it's weird how you can spin of on baseless assumptions this way.

Secondly, my reply: I always wanted to be a soldier. I was heartbroken when I found out the swedish armed forces didn't accept "celiacs". So I invested many years of my life to find another place in society, which was hard as ****. Then I randomly found some turd on the internet who wrote that the FFL accepts celiacs, after that I was in shock. I had WASTED all my time on SHIT, instead of doing what I really wanted, so I dropped out of school and made a plan. I obviously don't want to go there just to get kicked out. But the fact is the more I look into this, the more it looks like I'll get kicked out no matter what. There just is no place for the celiac on the battlefield, in this day and age.

That being said, will not give up until I get a boot in my ass and a paper, with "inapte definitif" writen on it, in my hand.

Counter-question: Do you really think I'll have a better chance LYING to the ones I want to take me in? I won't get my ass chewed off if they find out I lied? Do you REALLY think I should lie? Because I'll live like a rat, stealing potatoes from the kitchen, lie in the face of my superiors and still sleep soundly at night if it means I'll get a chance at succeeding.

Tell the truth in selection about your Celiac 'disease' and get sent home and see your dreams die.
OR
Keep it to yourself and try to make do, sort it out, trade, buy or "Borrow" the food you CAN eat and realize it won't be easy but you MIGHT have a chance to see your dream come true.

It's your choice. Do it or don't do it...It isn't my life to live, is it yours.

I just hate to see guys throw away a chance at their dreams. I actually want you and others to succeed. So if that makes me irritable and a dick when guys say they are going to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth right off the bat in selection and in so doing piss on your dreams...then I am guilty. I just get pissy when I see guys decide to be "honest and honorable and bound by truth" right on the cusp of realizing their dreams, when a little cup of something I like to call "SHUT THE FCUK UP ABOUT YOUR FCUKING PROBLEMS" might actually get you into the legion and able to start a new life.

Mea Culpa. I'm a dirty horrible cnut that wants guys to have a chance at living their dreams. :D

Good luck whatever you choose.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
I'll do my best to befriend the cooks, and try to buy potatoes and stuff.
It's not colditz, even if you get a 50kg sack of potatoes, then what? Sorry Daniel, if the Swedish army rejected you then it was for a reason. I just wish a current serving green would pop his nose in and give HIS opinion on your chances.

Most viewed threads of the week