a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• WARNING

We have been alerted of inappropriate behaviours on the forum. We firmly condamn any form of agressivity, harassment, threats etc...
    Members will be banned if they don't follow the rules (see rules agreement during registration setup)

Citizenship on discharge

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
A couple of questions and I need definitive answers please.
1 on enlistment is anonymity compulsory or by choice?
2 can a legionare keep his anonymous name and take citizenship on discharge or does he have to be rectified.
3 can a legionare change his name on discharge to the name he was given and apply for a name change by deed poll and obtain french citizenship
Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the links. Much appreciated the definitive answer depends on the when you joined havnt finished reading them all but thanks again.
As an aside the support and involvement shown by the members of cervens.net in my questions puts many other forums to shame. Thanks to all.
Back to the keyboard as am building a website to accompany the characters back story . Will advise.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Thanks for the links. Much appreciated the definitive answer depends on the when you joined havnt finished reading them all but thanks again.
As an aside the support and involvement shown by the members of cervens.net in my questions puts many other forums to shame. Thanks to all.
Back to the keyboard as am building a website to accompany the characters back story . Will advise.
Unless... Unless he should get French nationality 'par le sang versé'. I haven't got time now, as I have to go out and eat with Erika, and I do like to back up what I say with proof (unless someone beats me to it), but if I remember I'll explain it to you later.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Unless... Unless he should get French nationality 'par le sang versé'. I haven't got time now, as I have to go out and eat with Erika, and I do like to back up what I say with proof (unless someone beats me to it), but if I remember I'll explain it to you later.
That was something I was exploring. Thanks

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
In that case you know all about it.
But did you know the following :
"No money, no medals, just to be French!" This is how the story began. It was 1993 and Marius Nowakowsky, a parachute legionnaire of Polish origin, had just lost his left leg at Sarajevo airport. Mariusz was made French a short time later thanks to derogatory measures because, almost 20 years ago, no legal device allowed one to become “French by pouring blood” except the naturalization procedure applied to any foreigner who requested it. In 1999, a specific law was passed in Parliament. From now on, legionaries wounded in combat will be able to receive recognition from the Nation.

I'm going to actually include that in one of my videos about legion traditions precedented or followed by Pascal Bonetti's poem circa 1920 with it's translation into English

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
"No money, no medals, just to be French!" This is how the story began. It was 1993 and Marius Nowakowsky, a parachute legionnaire of Polish origin, had just lost his left leg at Sarajevo airport. Mariusz was made French a short time later thanks to derogatory measures because, almost 20 years ago, no legal device allowed one to become “French by pouring blood” except the naturalization procedure applied to any foreigner who requested it. In 1999, a specific law was passed in Parliament. From now on, legionaries wounded in combat will be able to receive recognition from the Nation.

I'm going to actually include that in one of my videos about legion traditions precedented or followed by Pascal Bonetti's poem circa 1920 with it's translation into English
Wow thanks you have in two short paragraphs opened up a whole raft of ideas

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-48736957
take a look Is this the same guy

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Wait till you join the Légion...
Any experienced légionnaire, has no time for fk wits... enougth of that giving out by command !
This forum was created to help the well and deserving wannabez...
Us greens are here to help all of you's to obtain that képi blanc, with the advice (not always up to date due to lack of feed back from the promus who past thru this forum... c'est la vie !
We, the greens spend a lot of our precious time handing out solid advice
No time for them types
Where do they get their frills with their dross, i do not know ?

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
We can not read anymore his, Cloggy), comment s...
Once the Légion reads them, his réengagement is fkd
Open all mics...let him know