a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chances to be accepted

AddictedV2

Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
Howdy!

As the title says... L et's start with the beginning: I'm 17 years old, will turn 18 in November, and after graduation I want to go to the Foreign Legion, more precisely in April next year and I thought it would be good to know as much as possible about my chances of being accepted as a volunteer in the Foreign Legion.
First of all I don't drink alcohol, don't smoke, and don't have a criminal record.I'm quite tall, more precisely 1.85cm, I'm a kickboxer, I'm not tattooed and I know a little French... and I weigh 94kg. I'm not “fatâ€￾ but do I have to lose a little bit?

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
I read nothing in what you wrote that would prevent you from being accepted, even the weight (but you may want to lose like 5 kg, if you want to be extra safe). But on the other hand, I see no particular reason for taking you on, if I were a recruiter.
So, my question which, from now on, will be my new mantra to all the wannabes we see flocking to the board and saying “hey, that stuff looks cool, why not join the Legion?â€￾ like they would say “why not go to the movie theater tonight?â€￾ is the following : what are your objective(s), motivation(s), expectation(s) for joining the Legion?

AddictedV2

Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
I read nothing in what you wrote that would prevent you from being accepted, even the weight (but you may want to lose like 5 kg, if you want to be extra safe). But on the other hand, I see no particular reason for taking you on, if I were a recruiter.
So, my question which, from now on, will be my new mantra to all the wannabes we see flocking to the board and saying “hey, that stuff looks cool, why not join the Legion?â€￾ like they would say “why not go to the movie theater tonight?â€￾ is the following : what are your objective(s), motivation(s), expectation(s) for joining the Legion?
i do not want to be "cool" first, i see the Foreign Legion as a career for me, a future for which i have to work, there are many reasons why i would like to be there, but the most important thing is that i want to become a Legionnaire, have a military career in an elite army

Cernunnos

Pro Member
Reaction score
Home Country
England
i do not want to be "cool" first, i see the Foreign Legion as a career for me, a future for which i have to work, there are many reasons why i would like to be there, but the most important thing is that i want to become a Legionnaire, have a military career in an elite army

I suppose the main question would be, why not the Romanian military?
Do they not pay as much as the Legion?

AddictedV2

Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
I suppose the main question would be, why not the Romanian military?
Do they not pay as much as the Legion?
It's not about money, it's just that I want to be part of the Legion, I want to be part of what's going on in the front line, there are many reasons why I want to be there and not here.

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
It's not about money, it's just that I want to be part of the Legion, I want to be part of what's going on in the front line, there are many reasons why I want to be there and not here.

I think you have as much chance as any other guy, it's a plus being from Romania since pay is low and they know the job market might not be great. Though...you would probably be better off first serving in the Romanian military/Marines, and then joining the legion.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi, AddictedV2, I'd rehearse your reasons before going. I mean how many Romanians do you think they see passing through the recruiting offices? You say it is not to be cool and I believe you. You say it is not about the money, well... Let's be honest, there is a major difference in the pay scale, and if you go overseas you will be le roi de pétrole (the King of oil) when you go home on leave. I'm not saying this to put you down, but then again it is not me that you have to convince.

rickyN7

Reaction score
Home Country
Belgium
The acceptance rate was estimated a few years ago at 1/8, though I believe that simply having the right motivation will cut that down to 1/2 or 1/3. From there, it’s a matter of luck, I suppose... Work hard on your cardio. I’ve been into combat sports for years but I always underestimated running, so now I’m catching up with it. Make sure you do the two specific things they test you on well: pull-ups and beep test.
Make sure your health is good. Teeth are checked, cavities filled, vaccines if you’re missing any, etc. Try some IQ tests and google ‘tests psychotechniques’ and practice them.
All these would give a slight edge in selection, but the odds would be even at best. As Chas said to me: ‘you’ll never know until you know’.
Good luck!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
The acceptance rate was estimated a few years ago at 1/8, though I believe that simply having the right motivation will cut that down to 1/2 or 1/3. From there, it’s a matter of luck, I suppose... Work hard on your cardio. I’ve been into combat sports for years but I always underestimated running, so now I’m catching up with it. Make sure you do the two specific things they test you on well: pull-ups and beep test. (...).
Ricky, we have recently had someone on the board who spent all his time telling us how many pull ups and squats and... he could do before joining and how many he did during training and how many he could do just before asking to go civvi.
I agree that it is important, but even more important is knowing that it is not just sport and physical prowess, but having the right frame of mind. It's for 5 years.

rickyN7

Reaction score
Home Country
Belgium
Ricky, we have recently had someone on the board who spent all his time telling us how many pull ups and squats and... he could do before joining and how many he did during training and how many he could do just before asking to go civvi.
I agree that it is important, but even more important is knowing that it is not just sport and physical prowess, but having the right frame of mind. It's for 5 years.
Absolutely agreed, the right mindset and motivation are the one vital thing, both in selection and beyond. Physical abilities are merely a continuation of a strong mind.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
The answer is simple. You must have the 'Want Factor'. You should ignore all rubbish from people who have not actually served in the Legion. For those who go and then 'go civil', accept their comments with a grain of salt. The internet is an absolute curse in my opinion since there are so many differing points of view. Bluntly aspirants should go with no preconceived ideas other than they are going to enter a world of shit. Accepting that premise and being prepared to accept everything thrown at you, with the right mind set, you can succeed. Remember it is a 5 year contract and honour it.

I intend to retain a watching brief and make the occasional post.

AddictedV2

Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
I think you have as much chance as any other guy, it's a plus being from Romania since pay is low and they know the job market might not be great. Though...you would probably be better off first serving in the Romanian military/Marines, and then joining the legion.
I have done more this topic to see if the ones written above will increase my chances of being accepted, ie I do not drink, I do not smoke, I did a certain sport, that kind of things

@rickyN7
https://ibb.co/m4BomR
I'm pretty healthy, I do not worry, I have nothing to hide, I am very conscious that I will not see my family very often after the end of those 5 years, I will want to extend the contract, I do not want to give back

@Joseph Cosgrove
I physically prepare myself day by day

I thank all those who read and answered the topic

p.s: excuse my grammatical mistakes, I write from my phone

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Again, you must come up with a good story that will convince the recruiter to take you. Joining for the money, is not a problem per se, if you have what it takes to be a legionnaire. After all, it might be a better choice for a recruiter to take somebody who has mere materialistic motivations and is open about it, rather than a ‘dreamer’ who thinks he's joining the Delta Force or some other ‘fancy’ Spec Ops unit and will desert after 6 months when he realises that he spends a significant part of his time doing all sorts of chores...

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
From what I've observed in a year and a half on this forum, those who need to be in the Legion get selected, those who do not need to be there, do not.

You are 18, fresh out if school, and have not served in your own military or been denied entry. You've never had a wife leave you and take your money, and you haven't had your name black listed

I don't know anything about Romania, but it sounds like the better pay in the Legion is your best option for giving the impression that you need the Legion.

rashisan

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Hello guys i am new here and i am from Bulgaria. I am wondering what is the chance of 38yo wannabe to become a legionnaire? Is there any cases like mine? The idea to join is not new for me but i did not have the courage to do it. I realized that i lost all my years doing nothing in my life so now i want to do something in my last best years. I am not sure if it too late for that...

If i may say something to the 18yo Romanian man, just chase your dreams no matter what. It is better to try than to regret that you did not try.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Hello guys i am new here and i am from Bulgaria. I am wondering what is the chance of 38yo wannabe to become a legionnaire? Is there any cases like mine? The idea to join is not new for me but i did not have the courage to do it. I realized that i lost all my years doing nothing in my life so now i want to do something in my last best years. I am not sure if it too late for that...

If i may say something to the 18yo Romanian man, just chase your dreams no matter what. It is better to try than to regret that you did not try.

The chances to be accepted are of course far less than say a 25 year old. It all depends on what special qualifications you have and health.
There have been a few men of 38 years accepted, thus the only way is to go and try.

rashisan

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
The chances to be accepted are of course far less than say a 25 year old. It all depends on what special qualifications you have and health.
There have been a few men of 38 years accepted, thus the only way is to go and try.
Do you know if these guys were with military past or just regular people like me? I have a colorful past but i do not want to reveal it maybe it is useless. There is a sentence “By failing to prepare, you are preparing to failâ€￾. So still I am preparing myself (physically and mentally). At least i do not want to give up without a fight even 38... Sometimes wisdom is more important that the power.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
rashisan, when are you thinking of joining? The longer you leave it the slimmer your chances will get. But you do have to be at tip top physical condition. Wisdom will not necessarily play a part in selection for the simple reason that they will be looking for a group of men to mold into legionnaires and are not at that stage looking for leaders or potential leaders.

You must relate the most convincing story of why you want to join and that you are going to stay.

rashisan

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
rashisan, when are you thinking of joining? The longer you leave it the slimmer your chances will get. But you do have to be at tip top physical condition. Wisdom will not necessarily play a part in selection for the simple reason that they will be looking for a group of men to mold into legionnaires and are not at that stage looking for leaders or potential leaders.

You must relate the most convincing story of why you want to join and that you are going to stay.

Hi Joseph,
i do not know which is the best time to join maybe December or January. You are right about that my chances are getting lower in time. The reason to join is that i can not get normal job even my qualifications and skills i need something reliably. I have big loan from the bank which is not easy to pay every month. I know that the money are not much in the Legion. It is internal feeling that i will be useful there if they give me a chance of course. I like the military lifestyle, the hierarchy, the challenges, everyday risks... I am really pissed off from my civil life.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Joseph,
i do not know which is the best time to join maybe December or January. You are right about that my chances are getting lower in time. The reason to join is that i can not get normal job even my qualifications and skills i need something reliably. I have big loan from the bank which is not easy to pay every month. I know that the money are not much in the Legion. It is internal feeling that i will be useful there if they give me a chance of course. I like the military lifestyle, the hierarchy, the challenges, everyday risks... I am really pissed off from my civil life.
Hi Rashian, I can't really say which is better, December or January. I'd have said before that January would be better as it means that Christmas is out of the way. Christmas is a big thing in the Legion and everyone is present on the 24th to celebrate etc. However someone on here pointed out (and I hope he'll forgive me for forgetting who) that joining in December shows that you have already cut the ties with family and are willing to spend Christmas and New Year away from family and friends.

If asked by the ‘Gestapo’ if it will not bother you to miss Christmas away from your family you can reply that you want the Legion to be your family. Sounds a bit corny but you've already scored a point.

I wouldn't mention the bank loan at all. This may be a problem because the bank will want its money and will go to considerable efforts to get it. Telling friends and family or neighbours that you're joining means that you are taking a risk with the bank finding out. Even with the best intentions of paying back the loan you will not have free access to your account for the duration of basic training. And I doubt if the bank will be understanding.