a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can the Legion look at my medical records?

BritishWarrior

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys.

Sorry if you get asked this alot, but can the Legion access your medical records when they do the background check or medical? I am in the UK and I suffered with depression years ago and i have no negative effects now. I am 100% depression free! However I am concerned that the Legion will be able to access my medical records from the UK. Will they be able to access my medical records? or are they private?

Thanks for reading :)

a1b2c3

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Nations
Nope, they cannot.

Medical confidentiality is pretty universal in Western countries.

But you do realize they (zee dreaded "Gestapo") probably track this website, have now pinged your IP address and gotten a webcam photo of you to put in their files. Based on that, they can track you via social media and web usage profiles to know when you come over to this side of the channel.

Hope your phone/tablet/computer that you access this forum on doesn't have a HD camera so it takes more data crunching time. And you're using at least a VPN. And at least 256 byte encryption.

BritishWarrior

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I honestly doubt they can access my webcam from my IP. the mot you can do with an IP is a DDOS attack but not what you described. Thanks for the help with my question though :)

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Don't have doubts about the powers of the Legion ‘Gestapo’!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
You are thankfully going under the name of British Warrior, you might as well be Joe Bloggs or heaven forbid, Joe Cosgrove ! Anyway, there is no way the Legion can get a hold of your medical records, what next? You've gotten over this spout and well done, turn the page and don't even think about it. I don't think that the Legion is going so far as to track IP adresses, and if that's all they have to do, then send them to a combat company, then they'll know their arses from their elbows. Yes they probably look at the forums from time to time, so what?

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
It's worth noting that even the British Police can't access your medical records without either your written permission or a court order.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
BritishWarrior,

I do not wish to rain on your parade and I am not in a position to doubt the veracity of your statement that you are now 100% depression free.

However bear this in mind; 'Should there be any possibility of a re-occurrence then do not apply. So think very carefully.'

Anyway, all the best.

korisnik

Reaction score
Home Country
Serbia
In Serbia officially nobody can access your medical and some other records, unofficially everybody can whiteout even a slight harassment so duno.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
BritishWarrior,

I do not wish to rain on your parade and I am not in a position to doubt the veracity of your statement that you are now 100% depression free.

However bear this in mind; 'Should there be any possibility of a re-occurrence then do not apply. So think very carefully.'

Anyway, all the best.

If I were still in active duty, I would really not like having as legionnaire next to me, during a combat against rebels of any kind, someone who possibly might suffer depression. Even if it were a very slight chance that he would be "depressed" : I must have 100% confidence, if not more, in all my brothers in arms !!!! Trust is essential for our survival and I cannot trust someone who once suffered from depression !

Sorry if these words do not look very kind, but it is a matter of survival for a whole team. In Mali, I was lucky since I knew that my comrades were 100000% "trustable" !

There are many very interesting things in life which you could do as a civilian, for the military but outside the military, i.e. not in uniform !

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
Honestly who cares if you were depressed, everyone gets depressed. This is life, not some fairy tale castle. The only real question is, not have you ever had depression, but have you ever had serious suicidal thoughts? Have you ever TRIED to kill yourself. That's the important question. It's the people that have never been down or depressed that probably need mental health care. ;)

BritishWarrior

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
You are thankfully going under the name of British Warrior, you might as well be Joe Bloggs or heaven forbid, Joe Cosgrove ! Anyway, there is no way the legion can get a hold of your medical records, what next? You've gotten over this spout and well done, turn the page and don't even think about it. I don't think that the legion is going so far as to track IP adresses, and if that's all they have to do then send them to a combat company, then they'll know their arses from their elbows. Yes they probably look at the forums from time to time, so what?
Thanks for the reply. I had people tell me that because UK is a Interpol and EU country the Legion will get a hold of the medical record when I go through the background check or the medical. In a few years I will go and try to join. My granddad was in Lebanon with 2e REI and he has inspired me!

Stoeng

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Let me reassure you. The Legion don’t give a rat’s ass about your medical record.

Stoeng

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Nope, they cannot.

Medical confidentiality is pretty universal in Western countries.

But you do realize they (zee dreaded "Gestapo") probably track this website, have now pinged your IP address and gotten a webcam photo of you to put in their files. Based on that, they can track you via social media and web usage profiles to know when you come over to this side of the channel.

Hope your phone/tablet/computer that you access this forum on doesn't have a HD camera so it takes more data crunching time. And you're using at least a VPN. And at least 256 byte encryption.

He he but they also pin stupid questions on the wall. Currently they are running out of wall space

Cpl K

Legionnaire
Former Moderator
Reaction score
If you're planning on going to the Legion make sure you have a very hard head ;). During the first few months you will feel homesick and on your own. Is it really the place you want to be ?

Cpl K...

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
If I were still in active duty, I would really not like having as legionnaire next to me, during a combat against rebels of any kind, someone who possibly might suffer depression. Even if it were a very slight chance that he would be "depressed" : I must have 100% confidence, if not more, in all my brothers in arms !!!! Trust is essential for our survival and I cannot trust someone who once suffered from depression !

Sorry if these words do not look very kind, but it is a matter of survival for a whole team. In Mali, I was lucky since I knew that my comrades were 100000% "trustable" !
!
Always have good laugh when I read old Lou's posts. :)

In Mali, I was lucky since I knew that my comrades were 100000% "trustable" !
Hahah :D OMG What percentage is he (Loustic) "trustable"? 0.000001% :)

IRL_legion

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
Thanks for the reply. I had people tell me that because UK is a Interpol and EU country the Legion will get a hold of the medical record when I go through the background check or the medical. In a few years I will go and try to join. My granddad was in Lebanon with 2e REI and he has inspired me!
I don't know about the FFL but the British Army can't get your medical records from Ireland without you and your GP's consent on a medical release form and then sent to them by your own GP to their medical Professional, which takes forever... so the way the recruiting process is and the little time you spend before heading off to Castlelaundry I doubt that they would have or want to spend the time to get them. I wouldn't worry too much about it just get your mind and body right for when you turn up and the rest will take it's course.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Always have good laugh when I read old Lou's posts. :)

Hahah :D OMG What percentage is he (Loustic) "trustable"? 0.000001% :)

Martin Scott was another poseur and faux vert. Complete ordure. As I get older I am less benign and more irascible.:)

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I honestly cannot think what these people get out of pretending to have served in the Legion. Martin S., Loustic, Thadeusz's son :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I mean in a way it's flattering: people going out of their way to say that they've been in the Legion.

Quick anecdote here,

We'd just finished with an intervention in RCA. 3rd Cie and 4th Cie REP. We were stationed in Chad and the rebels were getting out of hand. So we were flown in to keep the peace, We had taken over from French regulars bérets bleus.
Later we were then replaced by another regiment of béret bleus, at the end of our 5 months (including the time spent in Chad).

On the tarmac, the president of Central Africa Republic refused to give authorization for the plane to take off. He insisted that he wanted the Legion to stay. The news filtered down to us riff raff as we were all wondering what was happening. The chef de corps had to de-plane and convince the President that he did not have the official go ahead from the French government to prolong the mission.

A friend of mine said to me: we would know that the president (CAR) had really lost it if he'd insisted that the béret bleus stayed.

All that to say, why did Alain Dorsel and Martin Scott, not claim to be French bérets bleus? o_O:eek: