a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camp Raffalli, Calvi

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Oct. 4th is St. Terese of Liseaux's feast day. She along with St. Joan of Arc are the Patron saints of France. In the picture below she is dressed as Joan of Arc. View attachment 7003
I can't see that bit of info going down too well with Pink Floyd. I'd save any references to saints (unless it is St Michel) to another thread.

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
I can't see that bit of info going down too well with Pink Floyd. I'd save any references to saints (unless it is St Michel) to another thread.
Joe Cos, please delete this superstitious rubbish from my thread...greatly appreciated

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Okay. True story. During the Korean War there was an Anerican soldier who had a devotion to St. Michael the archangel. Everyday he prayed to him. His company got lost and ended up meeting up with a different company. He buddies up with another soldier named Michael. They were out on patrol when they were ambushed, the American soldier was saved by his buddy, who disappeared during the ambush, after it was over, they investigated because all of the Korean soldiers were dead, but each one was killed by a sword stroke. True story.
Well if I had to have a guess I would say his mate or buddy was a Turk as knifes and swords were very much part of their military hardware, so no religious intervention in my view just some Turk with the same name. Who knows next time I’m in town I will call at the local Turk barbershop as he could be related 😂

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Korean war, evil, nasty and brutish. At least the Royal Marines operated as true commandos there at US command and request. They made several raids on the mainland and on various islands. Blowing up installations and destroying railway lines.

Sadly and shamefully it is known as the Forgotten War by many who served there as NS men.( Draftees.) These young men have been forgotten by successive governments. 80% of those who served in that ghastly little war were NS men.

Veterans of 41 RM Independent Commando (those still alive) are known as the Chosin Few.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
that long beach...hello to all the Anciens 'LPN
Same back brother… i see we have fools posting saints on our thread!. Not to mention everybody’s suddenly religious and want to confess their sins..😱…bollocks!!..when we boarded that C-160/ ..C-130 or noratlas on a mission it was to get the job done period!..camp raffalli is a thread for us reptiles.. more majorum!

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Same back brother… i see we have fools posting saints on our thread!. Not to mention everybody’s suddenly religious and want to confess their sins..😱…bollocks!!..when we boarded that C-160/ ..C-130 or noratlas on a mission it was to get the job done period!..camp raffalli is a thread for us reptiles.. more majorum!
Thanks Mark and Joe Cos. This is our thread. Photo: 2021 tenue de parade 2REP (2nd fourragere since 2013)...LPN my brothers...

Attachments

• 20210730_161503.jpg
    20210730_161503.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 12

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Welcome to Calvi...
Although now is a great time for the legionnaires to be out pulling the birds in Calvi, this Covid sh$t will put a stop to that. I saw on the news yesterday (which means the day before, as I can only get France 2 the next day) that the Haute Corse is a major hot spot for the virus.
For those of you who don't know, Corsica is split into two departments, 2a And 2b. Calvi, with it's 5 Kms of sandy beaches is an ideal spot for tourists. Unfortunately, a lot of the younger generation is France seem to think that their youth is a kind of natural immunization to Covid, There in 2b, where Calvi is located, the masks are again obligatory and a 23:00 curfew is in place. This isn't good for anyone as the town only starts to 'come alive' at 20:00. And a curfew for the civilians will be twice as bad for the legionnaires, perhaps not allowed out on the town at all.
And let's face it Calvi is a beautiful place, but it is the only place that you are allowed to go to as a legionnaire, except on leave of course.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Anyone remember those 3 Scandinavian young woman that used to come on vacation to Calvi for one reason only😎 if memory is right one was referred to as Tina the Fish! But like anything my memory is very sketchy, still had the best Pizza in my life and view on a night out think it was in the old part of town up top company was good to, then unfortunately yet again a lift home in a jeep not that I was looking for a lift back!

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Although now is a great time for the legionnaires to be out pulling the birds in Calvi, this Covid sh$t will put a stop to that. I saw on the news yesterday (which means the day before, as I can only get France 2 the next day) that the Haute Corse is a major hot spot for the virus.
For those of you who don't know, Corsica is split into two departments, 2a And 2b. Calvi, with it's 5 Kms of sandy beaches is an ideal spot for tourists. Unfortunately, a lot of the younger generation is France seem to think that their youth is a kind of natural immunization to Covid, There in 2b, where Calvi is located, the masks are again obligatory and a 23:00 curfew is in place. This isn't good for anyone as the town only starts to 'come alive' at 20:00. And a curfew for the civilians will be twice as bad for the legionnaires, perhaps not allowed out on the town at all.
And let's face it Calvi is a beautiful place, but it is the only place that you are allowed to go to as a legionnaire, except on leave of course.
I did manage to sneak out to lumio with a bird😉..a couple of times upon my return to the regiment..civilian clothes only..if only to get away from the mayhem in Calvi!

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Anyone remember those 3 Scandinavian young woman that used to come on vacation to Calvi for one reason only😎 if memory is right one was referred to as Tina the Fish! But like anything my memory is very sketchy, still had the best Pizza in my life and view on a night out think it was in the old part of town up top company was good to, then unfortunately yet again a lift home in a jeep not that I was looking for a lift back!
Hmm…my first time down town in Calvi I was arrested! .. by that big dumb Finn. peters.. he hated the Brits!. and we returned the favor many times by causing trouble whenever he was on patrol!..later when I made caporal/chef he tried to make peace..I told him to piss off! .. simply had no time for types like him!.as for Tina and company!?.. have you ever heard the saying.. smoked kipper!?..😉

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
So.. a bottle of fine congnac to the one who can answer me this..what year was the insignia of REP put on the water tower?
Hmm…my first time down town in Calvi I was arrested! .. by that big dumb Finn. peters.. he hated the Brits!. and we returned the favor many times by causing trouble whenever he was on patrol!..later when I made caporal/chef he tried to make peace..I told him to piss off! .. simply had no time for types like him!.as for Tina and company!?.. have you ever heard the saying.. smoked kipper!?..😉
Smelt like a kipper after 2 weeks and a quarter of the regiment went through her and her pals, strange aids was rife at the time but out in Africa we would F out that we could the brothel up camp on the hill in Djibouti did a raring trade even section competitions with a stop watch 😂😂