a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QUESTION Buy military boots before joining or not?

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hello! I am from the UK and hoping to join the legion early next year.
I am soon to start rucking for practice and wondering if I should expect to be allowed to use my same rucking boots in Castel? (should I pass pre-selection)

I have read training for rucking using shoes not boots is better and "allows the muscles of the feet and ankles to be “trained,” strengthened, and support more weight through a wider range of motion on their own."

However if I can buy 8" or taller military boots and wear them in to my feet, maybe that will be better, as long as I can use them for rucking in Castel and they do not take them away from me. Appreciate any help on this! Thanks

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
A lot of research has gone into apparel for basic training on the site recently, and the "tenue de combat" below got the most upvotes (although we suspect FdG may have pressed the Vote button more than once).

Anyway - the Legion is a modern army and takes its duty of care seriously regarding Human Rights.

So - if you don't like what's in your standard issue "paquetage" when you get to Castel, just have a chat with your section leader. I'm sure you will find him accommodating to your needs and wishes.

da1p63-5f68e993-af48-4339-a1d2-a1e911419f34.jpg

Last edited:

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Think you might get away with keeping these buddy don’t think you can keep boots regardless also they would be ripped open for contraband in my view!

Attachments

• E0E40AB5-8F64-4AFA-A5CF-8712EDE9D676.jpeg
    E0E40AB5-8F64-4AFA-A5CF-8712EDE9D676.jpeg
    313.4 KB · Views: 6

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Think you might get away with keeping these buddy don’t think you can keep boots regardless also they would be ripped open for contraband in my view!
Yeah - a snazzy change from flip flops indeed ...

Be careful though, because Rhodie has got Design Rights on aboriginal art ones - (splashed with random blood stains)

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
If ever you Travel to join the Légion...
You travel light...
Your boots will be issued to you, free of charge
7 pull ups and level 7 on the Luc Léger test...beep test
Marching in the Légion will only begin if you pass these two tests...IF
Stop exaggerating your self with the marching bull
L.P.C.

Reaction score
Home Country
Zimbabwe
I am soon to start rucking for practice and wondering if I should expect to be allowed to use my same rucking boots in Castel? (should I pass pre-selection)

I have read training for rucking using shoes not boots is better and "allows the muscles of the feet and ankles to be “trained,” strengthened, and support more weight through a wider range of motion on their own."

However if I can buy 8" or taller military boots and wear them in to my feet, maybe that will be better, as long as I can use them for rucking in Castel and they do not take them away from me. Appreciate any help on this! Thanks
We always trained in boots and phy's in runners so I think a combo of both is good, for long day training tab's use your boots and for morning run and circuit training your joggers will be good.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Boots- My issues were called ammunition boots circa WW2.
Even the studs had to be polished and toe caps bulled for parades.

Fortunately for sneaky work we had SV boots (Soles Vulcanised)
I wore them at OCS which pissed off the Brigade of Guards instructors
who loved us to stamp our feet noisily.

1982 Boots circa Falkland era were bloody awful leaking and causing Trench Foot
By the time I resigned as Capt. Mainwaring, HSF 1992 the issued boots were much better.

Now there are a plethora of boots available. After basic, several units allow you to purchase your
own boots for green operations.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
To answer you question in a word, No.
Welcome to the forum.
Buy yourself a good pair of cross trainers. Once you are un your regiment you can then buy yourself a good pair of running shoes.

Reaction score
Home Country
Zimbabwe
Boots- My issues were called ammunition boots circa WW2.
Even the studs had to be polished and toe caps bulled for parades.

Fortunately for sneaky work we had SV boots (Soles Vulcanised)
I wore them at OCS which pissed off the Brigade of Guards instructors
who loved us to stamp our feet noisily.

1982 Boots circa Falkland era were bloody awful leaking and causing Trench Foot
By the time I resigned as Capt. Mainwaring, HSF 1992 the issued boots were much better.

Now there are a plethora of boots available. After basic, several units allow you to purchase your
own boots for green operations.
Circa WW2, Christ Chas, how bloody old are you lol.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Circa WW2, Christ Chas, how bloody old are you lol.
On passing my officers commando course (faster times for all tests) I was issued with my coveted green beret. The manufacturer was Kangol and it was stamped Military issue 1945. I still have it.
This was 1959.

We were given tinned Machonichies (spelling) sausages. Date 1944 they were horrible and grey.
Same with chocolate. Several canned goods were similar vintage. Rationing had just ended when
I joined in 1956.
RMV202910- Mne-20/06/1956.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Personally if your going to purchase anything get a bag or Ruck sack, get over and you will get all the kit you need as per Legion issue, only obstacle is are you ready to go and if you do is Lady luck on your side of it is one finished training and posted to regiment you can purchase kit that might make things better I had no problem with the kit BITD we just got on with it the stuff we purchased was to free up down time and save time scrubbing kit!

Reaction score
Home Country
Zimbabwe
On passing my officers commando course (faster times for all tests) I was issued with my coveted green beret. The manufacturer was Kangol and it was stamped Military issue 1945. I still have it.
This was 1959.

We were given tinned Machonichies (spelling) sausages. Date 1944 they were horrible and grey.
Same with chocolate. Several canned goods were similar vintage. Rationing had just ended when
I joined in 1956.
RMV202910- Mne-20/06/1956.
Brilliant stuff Chas, I've pinged you in civi street and seen what you have done for the British Legion and vets there. Great work my friend, the World needs people like you and even retired Monkey's Col. or not lol. What a life it must have been back then, would love to hear more about your colonial policing Chas. Maybe start a thread for us?. Being a child of Empire myself, it's a part of recent history kids today have no clue about and it's only 50 years ago. Only if you have the time china. Cheers Rhodie.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom

1973 issued boots DMS they would give you blisters because they didn't fit let water in because they were cr@p but did polish up well for guard duty happy days