Book: Papillon (French Guiana)

ibandic

Banned
Banned
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Henri Charriere:"Papillon"
http://www.amazon.com/Papillon-P-S-...bs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211114493&sr=8-2

Product Description

Henri Charrière, called "Papillon," for the butterfly tattoo on his chest, was convicted in Paris in 1931 of a murder he did not commit. Sentenced to life imprisonment in the penal colony of French Guiana, he became obsessed with one goal: escape. After planning and executing a series of treacherous yet failed attempts over many years, he was eventually sent to the notorious prison, Devil's Island, a place from which no one had ever escaped . . . until Papillon. His flight to freedom remains one of the most incredible feats of human cunning, will, and endurance ever undertaken.

Charrière's astonishing autobiography, Papillon, was published in France to instant acclaim in 1968, more than twenty years after his final escape. Since then, it has become a treasured classic -- the gripping, shocking, ultimately uplifting odyssey of an innocent man who would not be defeated.

About the Author

Born in 1906, and imprisoned in 1931, Henri Charrière finally escaped in 1945 to Venuzuela, where he married, settled in Caracas, and opened a restaurant. He died in 1973.

Bags

Super Active Member
Home Country
United Kingdom
I've actually got the book, just never got round to reading it

Home Country
United States
I saw a documentary on the prison he went to during his time in "LITTLE PARIS". Tried to escape many times risking his life in rough waters as well as shark infested,,,,that dude had "nut-sacks" as we used to say in high school:D. His account of his time in prison was very compelling.

Home Country
United Kingdom
I have read the book and think it was 1 of the best books i have read, the film with Steve Mcqueen and Dustin Hoffman in was pretty good too but not as good as the book though never is :rolleyes:

Wonder if they will ever remake this and the great escape :rolleyes:

Pity they don't have prisons like devils island anymore though, that would slow the flow of crime in the world

Home Country
United States
I have read the book and think it was 1 of the best books i have read, the film with Steve Mcqueen and Dustin Hoffman in was pretty good too but not as good as the book though never is :rolleyes:

Wonder if they will ever remake this and the great escape :rolleyes:

Pity they don't have prisons like devils island anymore though, that would slow the flow of crime in the world
Wonder if they will ever remake this and the great escape.

THE GREAT ESCAPE WAS A REALLY GOOD MOVIE.

Alex

Home Country
Northern Ireland
Sounds good...just had a quick read up of it on the net there,think I'l try and pick a copy up somewhere.

Home Country
United Kingdom
If i remember correctly it was over 1,000 pages. in small writing :eek: :D

Jean i can remember some good 80's films that have been remade and in total frankness a pile of do do, and more do do on the way shortly!!

Coming soon

Nightmare On Elm Street
Friday The 13th
The A Team
Knightrider

lloydy1984

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Home Country
United Kingdom
For anyone in the uk the film version is on tonight itv4 at 10.05

Alex

Home Country
Northern Ireland
thanks lloyd,I wouldnt have known that was on if you didnt post it.;)

lloydy1984

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Home Country
United Kingdom
thanks lloyd,I wouldnt have known that was on if you didnt post it.;)
No worries mate,its a good film really enjoyed it.had to laugh at the announcer before the film started who called it pappilion but as in a pillion passenger.guess he didnt know the character was french lol

flash010

Top Member
Legionnaire
Ratings
Home Country
Scotland
it don't say much for french legal system Henri Charriè, the count of montaristo, the man in the iron mask they got any real criminals or do they just grab the fist guy they see haha:p:p:D

repman86

Legionnaire
Home Country
Scotland
If i remember correctly it was over 1,000 pages. in small writing :eek: :D

Jean i can remember some good 80's films that have been remade and in total frankness a pile of do do, and more do do on the way shortly!!

Coming soon

Nightmare On Elm Street
Friday The 13th
The A Team
Knightrider
Read it with some BIG GLASSES

Most viewed threads of the week