a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bonne fête de Camerone

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Thanks very much Tom, I hope you'll join in by having a couple of beers. How's the French coming along? Try this one, I call it my Camerone special:

La Légion, c'est dur, mais la gamelle, c'est sûr.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Wasn't at a organised gathering this year due to other commitments. But raised a glass in the evening.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I'm back, briefly. 1REG is going well. Many people here and it is nice to have the public here. To all my brothers, it's ours! Now, survive the night....

View attachment 5815

Samtoo

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
The Tropic of Mexico...near Little Havana.
Home Country
United States
À tous les Anciens, sous-officiers, caporaux-chefs (et surtout brigadiers-chefs...), caporaux et légionnaires, je souhaite une bonne fête de Camerone. N'oublions pas nos morts. Legio patria nostra!

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
I'm back, briefly. 1REG is going well. Many people here and it is nice to have the public here. To all my brothers, it's ours! Now, survive the night....
Hope you'll have a good memory of your first Camerone day in the Legion, DCLXVI... You're looking good and surprisingly much younger than your age... :D

Tss... Tss... Always this crooked thumb when standing at garde-à-vous (attention) or porter-arme position... :D Only in the Legion, (normally) not allowed in the ‘regular’...

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Love it Chas! Dusaboss, get your arse in gear, do not wonder or contemplate infinitely.
Man, if I knew that I'm gonna be accepted I would go tomorrow. I don't think I'm ready yet. Maybe I am (mentally I'm definitely ready), but I want to increase my chances for getting in as much as I can. I don't think to prepare myself indefinitely. In one month time I would be in France.

Anyway have to thank you Anciens for reminding me that I'm gonna be legionnaire. Yes, sometimes that pisses me off but also drives me to train harder and to speed up my going.

Hope that I will not disappoint you, whether you believe in me or not.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Dusaboss,

My good friend, do not disappoint me, otherwise my ghost will bloody well haunt you.
Your procrastination is driving me to an early grave !

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Man, if i wild know that I'm gonna be accepted I would go tomorrow. I don't think I'm ready yet. Maybe I am (Mentally i'm definitely ready), but I want to increase my chances for getting in as much as I can. I don't think to prepare myself indefinitely. In one month time I would be in France.

Anyway have to thank you anciens for reminding me that I'm gonna be legionar. Ye, sometimes that pises me off but also drives me to trinn harder and to speed up my going.

Hope that I will not disappoint you ;whether you believe in me or not.

Dusaboss, for what it is worth I believe in you. Now you say mentally you are ready. That is more than half the battle. You can ask the old timers UMSCRET, Chas, voltiguer, Mark Wake, Ossie and Martin etc, if you are ready mentally then you can go.
However if you are not ready physically than you can not be ready mentally. Physically fit is the basis, after that when you are tired, or bored, or just wanting to get away from this sh*t hole and get on with some proper soldiering, then the mentally ready takes over.

Drop a PM to anyone of the heavyweights on the forum and let them know what your thoughts and worries are and ask them if you are ready. if it's green light then GO.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I don't know Joseph I think I'm ready. Lvl 9 beep test and 15 pull-ups. I want lil better and I want to lose 5 kg. Am 183 cm 90 kg. I don't have much fat, but I want to get really ripped. Because that type of body Legion asking for.

O

Ossie O

Unregistered
It's not a lightweight decision for any young man to make travelling to France to offer your services to the Legion. Estimates are that between 250 to 300 desert every year. For the vast majority it's a one shot opportunity when they go knocking on the gate. Some stay one week, others honour the 5 year contract. Then there are the ones that make the Legion a career. I wish I had a dollar for every time I have said “you go to the Legion, the Legion doesn't come to you.â€￾

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I don't know Joe I think I'm ready. Lvl 9 beep test and 15 pull-ups. I want lil better and I wont to lose 5 kg. Am 183 cm 90 kg. I dont have much fat, but I want to get really ripped. Because that type of body legion asking for.

Dusaboss. it's not an Arnold competition. Your fitness is great and you want to go. If you carry your weight easily than there's no need to look ripped. You won't be walking around 'torso nu' -without a shirt on- whilst sweeping the parade square.

You remind me of the race horse chomping at the bit whilst the other race has just started. I'd say get all your stuff and any other things together and go when you feel you are ready. But not before.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I don't know Joseph I think I'm ready. Lvl 9 beep test and 15 pull-ups. I want lil better and I want to lose 5 kg. Am 183 cm 90 kg. I don't have much fat, but I want to get really ripped. Because that type of body Legion asking for.
I am no Physical Trainer, but from my experience, too much muscle reduces your stamina.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I am no Physical Trainer, but from my experience, too much muscle reduces your stamina.

That's so on point. Muscle Heads do not run well, they do Hump/Force March better than the gazelles (the runners)

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States

Jesus, you are physically ready. To "Ship to USMC Boot Camp" the recruit had to complete at least 3 straight no kip dead hang pull ups, do a minimum of 45 crunches, and run a mile and a half in under 12:00 minutes. The shape you are in now is not the same shape as being in the Legion or in Marine Corps Shape, PERIOD. From day one it begins, you will be reformed into a mold that the Legion WANTS. You will be broken of your individual identity and again be remolded into a Legionnaire, a team member, Individuals are not wanted, and then you will be broken mentally and you WILL BE REBUILT MENTALLY. The first phase of Marine Corps Boot Camp is to STRESS the Shi& out of you, push you to the breaking point, past where you believe it is now, and then build you into a mentally tough team member minimally capable of being a Legionnaire or in my case a Marine. Then you will develop over time and you will either grow into a leader or just get by. IT's UP TO YOU.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia

You are right voltigeur. That's why i want to lose 5kg. I'm too muscular for legion standards. That prefer lean, running type guys. And yes, too much muscle reducing your stamina for long runs and matches. Just look at build professional long distance runners.

Jesus, you are physically ready. To "Ship to USMC Boot Camp" the recruit had to complete at least 3 straight no kip dead hang pull ups, do a minimum of 45 crunches, and run a mile and a half in under 12:00 minutes. The shape you are in now is not the same shape as being in the Legion or in Marine Corps Shape, PERIOD. From day one it begins, you will be reformed into a mold that the Legion WANTS. You will be broken of your individual identity and again be remolded into a Legionnaire, a team member, Individuals are not wanted, and then you will be broken mentally and you WILL BE REBUILT MENTALLY. The first phase of Marine Corps Boot Camp is to STRESS the Shi& out of you, push you to the breaking point, past where you believe it is now, and then build you into a mentally tough team member minimally capable of being a Legionnaire or in my case a Marine. Then you will develop over time and you will either grow into a leader or just get by. IT's UP TO YOU.

Yes i know I'm ready but I want to be sure. I'm 33 and I have to be in better shape than young guys in order to be accepted. Just to lose 5 kg and Im good to go. ;)