a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blast from the past, Nasi Goreng and postal service in Iraq.

R

Rye

Unregistered
So I open my email this afternoon, and see I recieved an email from the ex husband some days ago.
Now you should not talk about your exes..really. But it was kind of funny.

He had some issues with me being away and it got as far as complaining that others had wives that where home, taking care of the house and cooked dinner for them and had it all done for the time when their loved ones came back after work. Sob sob.. How much of a knob this man really was..another story.

I sent him a MRE and a phonenumber to one of the FRG ladies at Pendelton and told him I was sure she would help him shake it if need be. To make it all a bit more romantic I sent an old "scandi" Nasi Goreng, since I really hate the shit, but an old mate sent it over earlier more as a joke if I felt homesick.

The package apparently arrived a cpl of days ago, almost exactly 3 years later. Posted and stamped in Al Taqqaddum - October 2005.
He did not find this funny at all... Unfortunately the FRG Lady had also moved off Camp. More sob..

I almost shat myself.

Now, the thing about this little package of Nasi Goreng, is that it has actually travelled through 3 continents, involved in 2 conflicts, the past 5 years. I gave 2 to an Irish mate in West Africa (he said he liked it..he must of taken a doppio of Lariam that day) he brought them back to Ireland - ate one and realized he really hated it too - and sent it back to me as a nice gesture..all the way to the Middle East. Good generous mates are hard to find!

I sent it over to my ex due to his moaning (secretly hoping it was now contaminated) and now it have finally arrived in the United States. Who knows where it may have been for the past years.. Not bad for half a pound of dry-frozen Nasi Goreng.

Its time someone bury this sorry little dish, show some mercy, prepare it and let it quietly slip out the backdoor. It must have gone through a lot.

However, it made my day :)