a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best War Film

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I'm not quite understand what you want to say. That is ending of Rambo 3? Huey and Hind are two types of helicopter.

They used modified Aérospatiale SA 330 in order to simulate look of Mi-24 Hind-D.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Yeah i know what back blast is. Some other thing did not understood. Still i think that in real life situation Rambo will be fine in collision of tank and chopper. :)
No way for that movie style gasoline fueled explosion to happen in real life, but even in that case we will have one pieced Rambo. :)
No real power in gasoline explosions. Only big fireball.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
I had some army buddies over this long weekend and we watched both 'Tae Guk GI' and 'Kilo Two Bravo', both great films.

Tae Guk GI is a film about two brothers 'drafted' into the Korean War, definitely a must see. I can't think of too many films with so much hand to hand. It's surely a top 10 film.

Kilo Two Bravo is based on an incident that happened in Afghanistan in the Helmand provinces Kajaki damn. A Brit para patrol attempts to move to a position to better watch a potential Taliban check point and strikes a mine in a wadi. Things go to hell in a hand basket while they attempt to recover and treat the casualties. Murphy's law kicks in so I won't say anything else. It was both gripping and tough to watch, anyone who has been in a mine strike will relate. The incident took place Sept 06 during the launch of Op Medusa in Khandahar province so we had tied up pretty well all of the air assets.

Both great films, cheers.
Kilo Two Barvo based on truth as well. It actually happened.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Deserter (2002)

I do not know whether is already been mentioned. It's good movie based on real man Simon Murray and his service in the Legion in Algeria’s war for independence.

Simon Murray also appears as presenter in documentary "The French Foreign Legion".

Maxinator

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
How are the RAMBO films not hands down unanimously hailed as the greatest war movies of all time.....Stallone should be given a medal of honor

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I guess that he did not get it probably because they would then have to give him a belt for boxing to. :)

Come on. I didn't write that Rambo series are greatest war movies. Only that first one hits point of troubles that Vietnam veterans had at that time.

And despite of unreality "First Blood" have in it i still think is good movie.

DanSorin

Reaction score
Home Country
Antarctica
a movie called Karaula. great movie from ex-YU. the original is on youtube but with no english subtittles so look for torrents

trailer -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yap2oulmPh0

Karaula aka The Border Post from 2006

Seeing that somebody else mentioned this film many years ago, I didn't bother to do a new topic. I recommend the movie "Karaula", it's a drama with little romance and some comedy moments.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0466561

A small border post on the Yugoslav-Albanian border in the spring of 1987. Frustrated and always drunk, lieutenant Pasic feels a strange pain in his groins. He seeks help from the only doctor among the soldiers, Sinisa, who diagnoses a sexually transmitted disease. Not wishing his wife to know about it and trying to find excuses not to go home, he declares a state of emergency, claiming that the Albanian army is preparing an attack against Yugoslavia. A joke transforms into war hysteria: soldiers dig trenches, Pasic grows wilder as the days go by, Sinisa embarks on a dangerous liaison, and his best friend Ljuba decides to leave the army. The situation slowly runs out of control...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Border_Post

The Border Post (Serbo-Croatian: Karaula) is a comedy-drama produced in international cooperation between the countries of the former Yugoslavia and directed by Rajko Grlić. It was released in 2006.
A JNA military border post on the Yugoslav-Albanian border in the late 1980s is thrown into disarray when its commander discovers he has syphilis. He is told by one of his men, a doctor, that treatment will take three weeks. In order to create an excuse for not going home to his wife and revealing his infidelity, the commander invents a stand-off with Albania, and orders a combat alert lockdown, prohibiting anyone, including himself, from leaving. The ordinary soldiers serving their compulsory military service there must cope with problems of their own.

Maybe somebody from the ex-Yugoslavia knows where this movie can be watched this days with english subtitles. I have seen "Karaula" many years ago.

[video=youtube;shbQQK9JD_Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shbQQK9JD_Y[/video]

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Glad to hear that you guys like that movie. Any questions about it, I'm here.

DanSorin

Reaction score
Home Country
Antarctica
Beasts of No Nation it's another movie I recommend.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1365050/

Follows the journey of a young boy, Agu, who is forced to join a group of soldiers in a fictional West African country. While Agu fears his commander and many of the men around him, his fledgling childhood has been brutally shattered by the war raging through his country, and he is at first torn between conflicting revulsion and fascination Depicts the mechanics of war and does not shy away from explicit, visceral detail, and paints a complex, difficult picture of Agu as a child soldier

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beasts_of_No_Nation_(film)

Beasts of No Nation is a 2015 American war drama film written, co-produced and directed by Cary Joji Fukunaga, who acted as his own cinematographer, about a young boy who becomes a child soldier as his country goes through a horrific war. Shot in Ghana and starring Idris Elba, Abraham Attah, Ama K. Abebrese, Grace Nortey, David Dontoh, and Opeyemi Fagbohungbe, the film is based on the 2005 novel of the same name by Uzodinma Iweala ― the book itself being named after a Fela Kuti album.

[video=youtube;2xb9Ty-1frw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xb9Ty-1frw[/video]

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I finally got around to watching Dunkergue. I won't say disappointed but prefer to say not impressed. Not much of a story to it and not enough blood and guts.
But I read some good news that they are going to bring out a TV series of Das Boot - the German Sub during WW11. It's due to come out in the fall of next year. They have just delivered the replica to Les Rochells. The good thing is the original sub pen is still standing, even though the allies blasted it from the air on many occasions.

rashisan

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Hello guys,
Wow I can't believe this topic is more than 10 years old! There are a lot of good war movies. I can just mention Apocalipse Now (1979).