a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best War Film

bronsond

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
The Kill Team 2014

The docco about US soldiers thrill killing innocent civilians in afghanistan. To be honest, this is my worst nightmare to deploy with a death squad of thrill killers. As a soldier "part" of your job is killing and the other part is doing what you are told, and I don't ever recall reading the manual pointing out it's ok to kill civis. These kind of dudes thoroughly disgust me, and are often the reason why IED's are so rampant...

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Damn good movie steve!

A few great quotes in the film as well as sending a message which can be heard in any of our modern conflicts. The song 'Soldiers Of The Queen' was the regimental march of my first regiment.

'It's a new kind of war, George. A new war for a new century. I suppose this is the first time the enemy hasn't been in uniform. They're farmers. They come from small villages, and they shoot at from behind walls and from farmhouses. Some of them are women, some of them are children, and some of them... are missionaries, George.'

'The fact of the matter is that war changes men's natures. The barbarities of war are seldom committed by abnormal men. The tragedy of war is that these horrors are committed by normal men in abnormal situations. Situations in which the ebb and flow of everyday life have departed and have been replaced by a constant round of fear and anger, blood and death.'

'Shoot straight you bastards, don't make a mess of it!'

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
The Kill Team 2014

The docco about US soldiers thrill killing innocent civilians in afghanistan. To be honest, this is my worst nightmare to deploy with a death squad of thrill killers. As a soldier "part" of your job is killing and the other part is doing what you are told, and I don't ever recall reading the manual pointing out it's ok to kill civis. These kind of dudes thoroughly disgust me, and are often the reason why IED's are so rampant...

I would hope this is just a movie and not true! This would not stand in the legion!

bronsond

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I would hope this is just a movie and not true! This would not stand in the legion!

no Mark you never heard about SSG Calvin Gibbs, CPL Morlock, PFC Winfield etc? This is for real they murdered 3-5 afghans with and then put drop weapons down basically staging the scene so that could get away with premeditated murder. SSG Gibbs iced an entire Iraqi family at a checkpoint in Iraq, and he was basically waiting for the opportunity. It apparently happens more than people like to admit... I honestly could't even imagine the shame associated with intentionally killing the people you are supposed to be protecting, to me it's just about the most yellow thing a soldier could do.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
also I hope not, I want to be a soldier, I'm not worried about shooting people shooting at me, but to harm weaponless civi's it's disgusting...

I agree! The men that you mention are not even worthy of being called solders. they are but scum! I have no doubt you will be a good solder should you decide to join!

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
As my distinguished airborne brother has stated, thes scum aren't worthy of being called soldiers. Professional soldiers are taught the laws of armed conflict and basic ethics. Sadly some of those that aren't fit to wear a uniform fall through the cracks within every army in every conflict. For those we have the code of service discipline.

Even during the My Lai massacre, good men stood up against a heinous war crime, committed by 'friendlies', WO1 Hugh Thompson and his crew were initially shunned and eventually recognized for their actions.

bronsond

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
As my distinguished airborne brother has stated, thes scum aren't worthy of being called soldiers. Professional soldiers are taught the laws of armed conflict and basic ethics. Sadly some of those that aren't fit to wear a uniform fall through the cracks within every army in every conflict. For those we have the code of service discipline.

Even during the My Lai massacre, good men stood up against a heinous war crime, committed by 'friendlies', WO1 Hugh Thompson and his crew were initially shunned and eventually recognized for their actions.

You know what pisses me the Fvck off? LT William Calley Jr. is still alive and well living in Georgia; he said he felt horrible afterwards, he literally served 1 year in prison, and 3 years house arrest. Guys like Governor Jimmy Carter, made a state holiday in Georgia called American's fighting Day in his honor... I literally get sick to my stomach at the idea of killing an innocent child. I prefer hunting over farming for a similar reason, once you bond with the animal by raising it it would be hard for me to kill. A wild boar on the other hand who is pissed off and could hurt me, I have no qualms about laying out. I guess, there is an internal mechanism within me that would rather protect, than destroy, but also have the ability to destroy when necessary, I guess some people, especially when in a group, lack that basic empathy...

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Not a film but a fact. We have had our British My Lai. Last year I made representation through my MP, Damian Hinds for reparation from the Foreign and Commonwealth office. A disgraceful cover up even until now. I have established admissions of guilt. Hence since I have a vested interest I will make no further comment on this incident.

Google : Batang Kali (Malaysia) 1948 Scots Gds.

This type of incident contravenes all morals and ethos of military service.

bosniaque

Reaction score
Home Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Brotherhood of war
The front line
Black hawk down
Lone survivor
Letters from Iwo Jima
The 9th company
Battle of Sevastopol
Apocalypse now
Platoon
My way

Mine best 10 :)

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
The list is just about endless but some are just timeless classics:

To pick just one, Zulu

Other greats in my top 10.
The Sand Pebbles
Breaker Morant
All Quiet On The Western Front
Das Boot
Bridge On The River Kwai
Cross Of Iron
The Great Escape
Platoon
Black Hawk Down

Sadly I have not yet tracked down a copy of 317e Section

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
How about best cast for a war film?

Longest Day
Bridge Too Far
Kelly's Heroes

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Watched a film called Centurion. Now as one of my hobbies is Roman Military History this was spot on.

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I had some army buddies over this long weekend and we watched both 'Tae Guk GI' and 'Kilo Two Bravo', both great films.

Tae Guk GI is a film about two brothers 'drafted' into the Korean War, definitely a must see. I can't think of too many films with so much hand to hand. It's surely a top 10 film.

Kilo Two Bravo is based on an incident that happened in Afghanistan in the Helmand provinces Kajaki damn. A Brit para patrol attempts to move to a position to better watch a potential Taliban check point and strikes a mine in a wadi. Things go to hell in a hand basket while they attempt to recover and treat the casualties. Murphy's law kicks in so I won't say anything else. It was both gripping and tough to watch, anyone who has been in a mine strike will relate. The incident took place Sept 06 during the launch of Op Medusa in Khandahar province so we had tied up pretty well all of the air assets.

Both great films, cheers.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Yeah lot of good movies mentioned. I saw only one guy mentioned Rambo serial. I will single out only first one. Of course as kid i loved that movie as most of as. Then as teenager i was little disappointed with lack of reality and over the top action. But now i'm beginning to respect that movie again because of important social problems which movie pointing out.
I Can forgive them superpowers of John Rambo. :)

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Yeah lot of good movies mentioned. I saw only one guy mentioned Rambo serial. I will single out only first one. Of course as kid i loved that movie as most of as. Then as teenager i was little disappointed with lack of reality and over the top action. But now i'm beginning to respect that movie again because of important social problems which movie pointing out.
I Can forgive them superpowers of John Rambo. :)

Even the part when John Rambo fires the M-72 in the back of the Huey to take out the Hind. Rambo has conquered back-blast. Mind you, entertaining for sure,