a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Believe in yourself (also, I have question)

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
2 months ago, I was in a nearly fatal car crash. I broke my collar bone, fractured my chest, and collapsed a lung. This was just a few days after I decided I want to try joining the Legion

View attachment 5678

A month went by without any physical improvement or reduction of pain in the slightest. I could not even move my left arm more than a few inches. I was on heavy pain medication for at least a month. And then, one day about a month ago, I was able to lift my arm up 90 degrees. And with each day, I was able to move more and more.

Still with my range of motion returning, everything still hurt. Every step made my chest feel like it was on fire, and lifting anything heavier than 5 lbs was utterly impossible. When I felt I was able to walk again, I began to ruck everywhere (since, I have no car now!). I started with walking a mile and was destroyed by it. Then a few walks later, I went 2 miles, and then 3 miles, then jumped to 5 miles. Last night, I was able to walk 7 miles (10.6 kilometers) without feeling tired or in pain

And tonight, I was able to do 20 push ups without stopping!

I WILL go to France and try to join the Legion. Nothing can stop me. So if you have doubt about being strong enough, just push

This does lead me to a question though. Should I bring proof of my hospital visit? There was no surgery involved and no screws or pins. I healed completely naturally but my left collar bone is a bit bumpy now. Thanks

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
Katalmach, If there are no scars or metal or permanent damage I would not mention anything. Why create questions about your fitness or health when you don't need to. Same with your prior military stint or if you have ever done drugs or done illegal activities (unless you have a searchable criminal record). No need to bring things up that could or would hurt your chances.

Fin109

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Nick, He already talked about everything on the forum who could hurt himself on selection... broken brones, illegal activities, military stint... everything!
I dont know if he understand that this is a public fórum and he spoke about his biggest weakness for everyone.

A little history here for you, Katalmach... I got recognized for something I said here. I only said my boyfriend was on 13DBLE and told about his hobby for explain that legionnaires have normal people hobbies (for Thadeusz, remember?). In one or two days later, a guy from his room asked him "hey, that`s you that she is talking about right?". Yeah, that easy. And then I got recognized for a brazillian wannabe again. Think before you post, my advise.

Good advice at that. I've had to cut myself off a couple times as well, you really do never know. Not gonna take that chance. But also, that's really great with all your progress! Good luck man, keep gettin at it.

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Nick, He already talked about everything on the forum who could hurt himself on selection... broken brones, illegal activities, military stint... everything!
I dont know if he understand that this is a public fórum and he spoke about his biggest weakness for everyone.

A little history here for you, Katalmach... I got recognized for something I said here. I only said my boyfriend was on 13DBLE and told about his hobby for explain that legionnaires have normal people hobbies (for Thadeusz, remember?). In one or two days later, a guy from his room asked him "hey, that`s you that she is talking about right?". Yeah, that easy. And then I got recognized for a brazillian wannabe again. Think before you post, my advise.

Hey, good points. Maybe I'll go clean up a bit. I guess I trust too much in the anonimity of the internet

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
@Highlander I do not understand very well. Is your boyfriend got in trouble or someone just recognized that you talking about him?

Katalmach story is inspiring for me.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Yeah, but here I can write that I killed 10 people which doesn't mean that is true.

I do not believe that the Gestapo as a serious organization take the information from this forum as relevant

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Yeah, but here I can write that I killed 10 people which doesn't mean that is true.

I do not believe that the Gestapo as a serious organization take the information from this forum as relevant

If you write that you killed 10 people, either it is true and you are a dangerous person who should not be accepted as legionnaire, or it is false and you are a stupid liar who should not be accepted ...

I am convinced the Gestapo takes also information here !

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I wrote that as an extreme example!

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Katalmach

Best of luck with both your recovery and ambition. About a month before going to Afghanistan I had a head on car crash (Mazda protege versus a big ass Sebring) where by grace of god I walked away with bruised ribs and a nice seat belt scar diagonally across the shoulder.

Once again, bonne chance.

SteveView attachment 5687

The pic was the first vehicle from my squadron across the Arghandab river on the second push, 5 years to the day after 9-11. We took this shot to show the recce troops within my Squadron that we lead the way. My air sentry/GIB is showing someone half a peace sign.

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
No doubt the Gestapo might take a look here. But they have hundreds of guys coming through a week. 99% of whom do not post on this board. It is not a serious method for them to screen anyone.

BUT...if you post a ton and include the exact joining dates and tons of personal information it would be easy for them to match it up. If they see posts about a Tall skinny ex Brit Para joining October 10th, full sleeve tattoos and tons of posts. Well yup, now they have something to use in the interviews since they can note it and bring it up if he shows up in Aubagne and makes it to the 'Gestapo'.

But generally they have no real way to match up who you are on here with who is there in front of them thus they would be using other means such as:
1. Interpol and perhaps some other databases they can subscribe to through government or policing agencies
2. Facebook, Instagram and other social media (and anything you bring with you, phone and laptop and so on) and...
3. Google, but most important ...
4. The Interviews. Does what you say in multiple interviews jive up with what you say to them and what they can find on the first 3 things I mentioned.

They also have you write EVERYTHING ( Yes, EVERYTHING) about your life down...jobs, houses, cities lived in gfs, family, prison, school, whatever. This is so they can get a total picture of you. You also interview with a half dozen other people in other parts of the selection process. Some are almost as long as the Gestapo interview depending on who it is and what you say.

EVERYTHING is taken into account to see if you are who you say you are and if you are someone they see as bringing the right 'stuff' to the table.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I ran today 2400 m in 15 minutes and I can do 5-6 correct pull-ups (7-8 with swinging). I made decision to seriously begin my training. Actually I wanted to start two months ago but I gave up do to high temperatures because I'm lazy Kurva.
I will share my progress and details of the training if someone is interested.
I don't know. Somehow is easier when you share with others.
However Decided to join or not I will be physically ready until the winter.
Share your training methods and ways of motivation.

Greetings!

Brizwhiz

Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
I ran today 2400 m in 15 minutes and I can do 5-6 correct pull-ups (7-8 with swinging). I made decision to seriously begin my training. Actually I wanted to start two months ago but I gave up do to high temperatures because I'm lazy Kurva.
I will share my progress and details of the training if someone is interested.
I don't know. Somehow is easier when you share with others.
However Decided to join or not I will be physically ready until the winter.
Share your training methods and ways of motivation.

Greetings!

Hi
A comparison - I was running 2.4km in 12.58 mins as a 41 yr old female in the Australian Army. Admittedly this was faster than time allotted to me (I had just over 15 mins) but I was still the last to finish behind all the young guys.
Pick up the pace!

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
OMG you will break my spirit :) I'm pretty rusty. I hope i will soon get in shape.

I was a little comforted. Measured again distance on Gmaps and its actually 2.6 km ;)

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
The warrior within us is much greater than you think, the Legion bring's the warrior out and it becomes unstoppable!

Quote from FFL Facebook page.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Hi
A comparison - I was running 2.4km in 12.58 mins as a 41 yr old female in the Australian Army. Admittedly this was faster than time allotted to me (I had just over 15 mins) but I was still the last to finish behind all the young guys.
Pick up the pace!

Don't train for a long run, train for the luc léger test !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTQnUyHkFHs

test_Luc_leger.pdf

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
loustic i will do Luger, Shuttle are Beep test after get myself in some decent shape. For now i can break my leg if force myself to much :). Didn't use leg muscles in years.

I'm already feeling much better, stronger and my stamina is increased.

I will do update on my time tomorrow. I have to do better than woman ten years older than me :)