a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battle of Algiers

Denny

Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
I saw recently a film "Battle of Algiers" - a very interesting movie on Algerian war - I am pretty sure every one who spent his Legion years in Algeria would see it. I was surprised that there was not a single word about the French Foreign Legion or legionnaires - only French paratroopers. I understand that the film focused on the Algerian resistance units, but anyway I would feel somehow offended being (like Joe) among those who fought there and than being left out from history.
Regards,
Denny

Eagle eye

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Macao
Needless to say "You know who"(hmm, give you three guesses) will post a defamatory propaganda article written by the non-French press on this bloody episode in French history...

P

Pier Carlo

Unregistered
Denny said:
I saw recently a film "Battle of Algiers" - a very interesting movie on Algerien war - I am pretty sure every one who spent his legion years in Algeria would see it. I was surprised that there was not a single word about the French Foreign Legion or legionnaires - only French paratroopers. I understand that the film focused on the Algerian resistance units, but anyway I would feel somehow offended being (like Joe) among those who fought there and than being left out from history.
Regards,
Denny
In the Italian version "La Battaglia di Algeri", it is reported the role of the French "para' - 10ma Divisione", no "paratroopers".

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
The Legion's 1er REP was definitely part of it as they were also part of the 10th. para devision. In most news reports, the Legion does not get mentioned if it is an operation with combined French forces.

Eagle eye

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Macao
Voltigeur1 said:
The Legion's 1er REP was definitely part of it as they were also part of the 10th. para devision. In most news reports, the Legion does not get mentioned if it is an operation with combined French forces.
Le Pen served in Algiers as a reserve officer in the FFL. He was accused of torturing Algerians in the battle for Algiers. He wasn't the worse. I came across Col. A. in Bonifacio who is still "WANTED" in Algeria for slinging FLN suspects out of helicopters. He was a real "cramé/wacked", who served also as French rep in SHAPE, Mons, but never made it to General. There were also execution squads but only volunteers were taken among legionnaires to cover the trace following the vernacular I heard in regiment...This info can be corrected/rejected by those with direct experience such as Voltigeur...

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Eagle eye said:
Le Pen served in Algiers as a reserve officer in the FFL. He was accused of torturing Algerians in the battle for Algiers. He wasn't the worse. I came across Col. A. in Bonifacio who is still "WANTED" in Algeria for slinging FLN suspects out of helicopters. He was a real "cramé/wacked", who served also as French rep in SHAPE, Mons, but never made it to General There were also execution squads but only volunteers were taken among legionnaires to cover the trace following the vernacular I heard in regiment...This info can be corrected/rejected by those with direct experience such as Voltigeur...
It is possible that there were execution squads in other regiments, however that was not the case in the 1er REC. the only time I witnessed a possible extermination was when the CO of the operation ordered aviation fuel poured in all openings of this huge cave. Choppers were used to ferry the fuel, I can not remember how many barrels, but it seemed an eternity before he was satisfied that there was enough. I was present when he said: they either come out or die. Chucking prisoners out of choppers was not uncommon. the preferred routine was to take up two, throw one out and then let the other see the results. That would go on untill they had the information they wanted (or ran out of prisoners). I am not sure if I went too far with this information since I am not a political correct person. If anyone thinks that I should delete this, please let me know.

Eagle eye

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Macao
Don't Voltigeur (!) unless the webmaster thinks it inappropriate.
Anyway, this is the type of 'direct witness' and first-source information that is preferrable to "propaganda tracts" posted on the board on this or other topics...

Denny

Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
I saw the movie in Melbourne's Lumiere Cinema, they play there old movies you can't see any more. It was the original French version with English subtitles. I sensed in the movie strong anti-French feelings, and as I read in the pamphlet, the movie was like an instruction book for terrorists. I wonder what is today's relationship between Algerian and French people? (I have never been to Africa.) I do not think it is so bad as Ivorien - French relationship these days. Is it the old hatered surfacing now, or bad leadership fuelling peoples emotions? According to media Ivorien rebel leaders have control over the crowd, so it seems to me they are also responsible for violence.
Danny2004 - you mentioned in one of your posts some time ago that you have a video footage from Ivory Coast. Do you still have any for sale? My son mentioned that he is in some shots taken by French cameramen. I would like to buy one if it is still available - you can send me a private message with cost and payment options please.
Thanks,
Denny

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Denny said:
I sensed in the movie strong anti-French feelings, and as I read in the pamphlet, the movie was like an instruction book for terrorists. I wonder what is today's relationship between Algerian and French people ?
Denny,
This film was indeed a 'propaganda' film, shot a few years after the independence and 'sponsored' by the Algerian government. Yacef Saadi, one of the leaders of the FLN in Algiers, captured by the paras of 3RPC (commanded by then Col Bigeard) plays his own part in the movie.
On January 1957 the whole 10DP (Division Parachutiste), commanded by Gen Massu, was sent to Algiers by order of the government for a counter terrorism mission, following a several months long bomb attack campaign. The battle ended in October, with the capture or death of all the FLN leaders in the so-called ZAA (Zone Autonome d'Alger).
1REP was part of 10DP and did participate in this battle. Their 'interrogation center' (euphemism) was located in a place called Villa Sesini. Another character of this period is the now infamous Gen (then Major) Aussaresses, who was in charge of supervising the intelligence missions undertaken by the 4 regiments involved.
This battle left plenty of bad feelings in the military. Many officers had to get their hands dirty to accomplish their mission and when the 'shit hit the fan' (ie when the press started an anti-torture campaign), they felt abandonned by the civilian authorities who did not cover them. This is one of the reason why many officers will later join the April '61 putsch and then the OAS.
Relations between France and Algeria are now on the mend, after more than 40 years. A friendship treaty is to be signed somewhere in 2005.

Denny

Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
I would say this was another example how polititians and media could spoil the effort of military. Similarily in Vietnam, can be seen in Iraq. Unfortenatuly politians never leave their offices, while soldiers are dying in the field.

flash010

Top Member
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Denny said:
I would say this was another example how polititians and media could spoil the effort of military. Similarily in Vietnam, can be seen in Iraq. Unfortenatuly politians never leave their offices, while soldiers are dying in the field.
That's the way wars are fought and the reason why legionnaires don't talk politics. They want you to do their dirty work but won't be there for you when the shit hits the fan. When you're in battle and losing your mates, your limbes, your camarads bail you out not some suit behind a desk. They make the shit we clean it up . :cool:

Last edited:
H

hannibal

Unregistered
If anyone is interested in this film I have recently found a bi-torrent file (about 700MB - ca. two hours and ten minutes) of this movie and you may download it. But you need also a client for the Bittorrent peer-to-peer file distribution. For example use ABC. Those who are interested it, contact me via pm.

Watched the movie and thought it is very good. Like the character of Colonel Mathieu. Has some pretty amusing quotes. I have read that this movie was banned in France in 1965 and that it has been projected in Pentagon after 11th September. After seeing the movie I can only say I understand why. I didn't find it to be a "propaganda film" in a strict sense of the word, but rather very good balanced. It shows both Algerian and French "cruelty".

Unfortunately tose who are looking for any stuff about the Legion in this movie they won't find anything. There is nothing about 1er REP, not even a word. All the French military characters appearing in this film are either Gendarmes or French Paratroopers.

URL: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058946/ (click trailer(s))

Last edited: